Rank V

Promoter II

Dec 7, 2020
Alabama, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
MacAllister
I am planning to purchase a Badlands 2-door with tow package. My concern will be getting a handle on my available tongue weight. Once I equip my Bronco for overlanding, I will head to my local CAT Scales and obtain the vehicle weight and compare it to my GVWR. From there I will know what I can work with. I do have my eye on an off-road trailer with a tongue weight of approximately 150lbs dry. Hoping that will work. One step at a time.
150lb tongue weight is doable, but takes compromise. Toilet, kitchen, storage space? Overweight. Try again. I've been toying with this too.

Edwardsscott

Rank III

Advocate I

Jan 26, 2021
Las Cruces, NM, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

I researched camping trailers capable of hauling a dirt bike for about a year. I finally settled on the inTech Flyer Discover. I ordered mine in September, picked it up January 11th and have used it 5 nights. (Today is Jan 26th) My Bronco order was confirmed today. I am worried about the miniscule tow rating of the Bronco (3,500lbs). In my experience, auto makers have been erroring on the side of caution, stating lower ratings for liability purposes than what the vehicle can actually handle. I suspect the soft offroad suspension of the new Broncos is a major factor in their low tow rating. I am hoping inflatable airbags will enable me to tow my new trailer.
Other trailers I considered in order of preference: boreus, opus, off grid, trail marker, turtleback, hiker, black ops, and others. I went with the slightly larger than desired inTech Discover because it has everything I need, 2 full beds, indoor toy hauling (up to 5 dirtbikes or one 2 passenger razor), off road package, ac, water (only 8gal but I've already added 20 more gal), solar ready and more. I have used it to go back country skiing and love it. I use a small space heater called the heater buddy and that works even on cold zero degree nights. I can't wait to take it to Big Bend in March to do some dirt biking.

Attachments

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

I am curious if anyone has sat down and chewed anymore on the notion of an overland trailer? What are your choices you have narrowed it down to? What are your views regarding a sleeper trailer, a trailer with a RTT or ground tent? Has anyone yet pulled the trigger on ordering or taken possession of one?

Mike Hancho

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Feb 13, 2021
Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Rosentel
Member #

Ouch $15 k I paid less than that for our 30 travel trailer. I built my teardrop for about $2500 it has a 3500 lb torsion axel that i can adjust it to give it a 4” lift. If you can build a plywood box you can build your own. I built my frame and all but you can get a Home Depot or Tractor supply or even harbor freight and build a box to put on top. And for a bathroom a side tent with a camp toilet with baby diapers works great. View attachment 5317View attachment 5318View attachment 5319
Did you build the whole thing from scratch or did you start with a trailer frame that was already assembled/inspected?

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
TBD
Last Name
TBD
I am curious if anyone has sat down and chewed anymore on the notion of an overland trailer? What are your choices you have narrowed it down to? What are your views regarding a sleeper trailer, a trailer with a RTT or ground tent? Has anyone yet pulled the trigger on ordering or taken possession of one?
Still planning to add an Overkill TK47 camper/trailer. Timetable has been altered due to the Bronco rollout. The good part on the delay has been the arrival of a rental TK47 in North Carolina at Rove Rentals. Revised plan allows me to take the rental for a test camping trip prior to buying. I have optioned the Bronco to work well with the trailer but want to proceed slowly. I guess Ford has taught me how patience is a virtue. ;)

Trailers — ROVE (roverentals.com)
T.K.4.7. | Overkill Campers

Commodore

Rank VI

Don't delete

Jul 24, 2020
Van Wyck, SC
www.microbolics.com
First Name
Rory
Last Name
Blake
Member #

Still planning to add an Overkill TK47 camper/trailer. Timetable has been altered due to the Bronco rollout. The good part on the delay has been the arrival of a rental TK47 in North Carolina at Rove Rentals. Revised plan allows me to take the rental for a test camping trip prior to buying. I have optioned the Bronco to work well with the trailer but want to proceed slowly. I guess Ford has taught me how patience is a virtue. ;)
Thanks!
Great plan….

@BuzzyBud. Call me when you’re going and I’ll meet you in NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK1215 and BuzzyBud

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

Trailers — ROVE (roverentals.com)
T.K.4.7. | Overkill Campers
Solid call on the test run prior to purchase

Reactions: BuzzyBud

ipongtreat

Rank 0

Advocate II

Sep 2, 2020
Mesquite, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Treat
Member #

Seriously considering a Sylvan Sport Go. Reasonably priced. Extremely light and versatile. Has several usage modes. Can be used to haul toys. Not gonna handle extreme off road but could be a good base camp. Would add a generator, a portable A/C and heat source, and something like a Dometic refrigerator. Some kind of cassette toilet would be good enough when boondocking.

https://www.sylvansport.com/go-camping-trailer/?gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZpzvmQOnlgvrOgVRqNeniz0M5m14z3GS7c7NzyxNI8quLwQn1xMzb4xoCUWcQAvD_BwE

Another reasonable option is Jumping Jack Trailers. They are definitely beefier than the Go for off-road scenarios.

bdawson24

Rank VI

Champion I

May 20, 2020
Michigan, USA
Member #

A friend of mine has one of these. It really came in handy when camping this year.

ne2000

Rank III

Champion III

May 8, 2021
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Eberlin
Member #

I have a Tiny Camper Co Kong in gray currently being pulled by my Cherokee Trailhawk. It's funny that the Jeep has 1000 pound more towing capacity than the Bronco. Regardless, it comes in far under the tow capacity and I look forward to see how the Bronco pulls it.
20210527_190641.jpg

Last edited:

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
Guadalupe River State Park TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

Did you build the whole thing from scratch or did you start with a trailer frame that was already assembled/inspected?
Sorry I just saw this. I built the whole thing but you could easily build one using a tractor supply, Home Depot, or harbor freight trailer. If you keep it fairly simple it can be built in a weekend or two. Mine took a few months but I was doing all the work by my self.

Reactions: Commodore

BlackDog

Rank 0

Advocate II

Dec 14, 2020
Michigan, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

also look at TC teradrops-look like a good bang for buck trailers and for no budget look at off grid trailers
https://www.tcteardrops.com 18 month lead time---ouch

Im still gonna use the gazelle tent for a bit.

Reactions: Commodore

Mike Hancho

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Feb 13, 2021
Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Rosentel
Member #

Sorry I just saw this. I built the whole thing but you could easily build one using a tractor supply, Home Depot, or harbor freight trailer. If you keep it fairly simple it can be built in a weekend or two. Mine took a few months but I was doing all the work by my self.
A few years ago, I bought one of those Harbor Freight folding trailers. Came in two boxes I threw on the cars back seat. Put it together and when to get a plate for it. That's when the fun began! 2 months later after a "special inspection" and $300 for the inspection, registered weighing, and processing fees, I recieved my plate. Don't get me wrong, it's perfect for what I use it for but it was a pain in the ass to get it legally on the road.

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

A few years ago, I bought one of those Harbor Freight folding trailers. Came in two boxes I threw on the cars back seat. Put it together and when to get a plate for it. That's when the fun began! 2 months later after a "special inspection" and $300 for the inspection, registered weighing, and processing fees, I recieved my plate. Don't get me wrong, it's perfect for what I use it for but it was a pain in the ass to get it legally on the road.
Wow here in Texas I got plates for my homemade trailer in about 10 minutes that included standing in line. All they needed to know was if it weighed under 5500lbs or not.

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

I have a Tiny Camper Co Kong in gray currently being pulled by my Cherokee Trailhawk. It's funny that the Jeep has 1000 pound more towing capacity than the Bronco. Regardless, it comes in far under the tow capacity and I look forward to see how the Bronco pulls it.View attachment 15260
Love the AC, Gotta have AC here in Texas my Air conditioner is under the Galley so it is hidden from view. But the first night in it (Carlsbad NM) I discovered my fatal flaw in my design. It needed more ventilation so the next stop I picked up a jig saw and an aluminum Vent cut a hole in the back added the vent and we have been freezing our toes off ever since. Now that lumber prices are coming down I cannot wait to rebuild my tear into an Off roader.