Overland/Hiking/Camping apps

RockstarBobby
Sep 10, 2020

cant_hold_my_horses

Sep 10, 2020

This is a loaded question type of post because it is definitely a "choose what you like best" kind of post. My curiosity is getting the best of me and I had to ask. What are you using and why?

I've downloaded an assortment of apps lately to test them out and see which ones are more user friendly, have the more complete maps, and might work best for the overlanding/hiking/camping adventures I do or might plan to do in the future. I'm sure i'm not the only person who wants to run forrest trails, find campsites, and interesting hikes - be that in the bronco, or another vehicle with or without a tent or travel trailer. I was curious what other people have been using - what they like, don't like, etc. I am aware that this is subjective and each app has it's pros/cons. Would love to hear your experiences and opinions.

Map Apps I have been dabbling with are:
GAIA
All Trails
Avenza Maps
Free Roam

Camping Apps:
Outdoorsy
The Dyrt
Allstays
Boondocking

Others I've heard to use as supplement:
CalTopo
MVUM's from USFS

Looking forward to the discussion.
allan, SIGMA.J
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020

Rank V

Sep 10, 2020

For mapping, I come from motorcycling so I have always used https://www.rever.co/. Really have not explored any camping apps. I typically scope out places to camp on shorter trips along the routes that I planned in Rever. I have heard a ton of great things about GAIA but have not tried it yet.

I do consult all trails, various 4x4 books, and national forest maps to help build my routes in the mapping application.

I look forward to seeing the solutions you all use for planning your adventures.
RockstarBobby

cant_hold_my_horses

Sep 10, 2020

For mapping, I come from motorcycling so I have always used https://www.rever.co/. Really have not explored any camping apps. I typically scope out places to camp on shorter trips along the routes that I planned in Rever. I have heard a ton of great things about GAIA but have not tried it yet.

I do consult all trails, various 4x4 books, and national forest maps to help build my routes in the mapping application.

I look forward to seeing the solutions you all use for planning your adventures.

So far Gaia has been pretty cool. It has A LOT of functionality. Probably more than most would use regularly. I went on a few test runs, and so far it's tracking feature is awesome. I have uploaded a few trails/loops I have mapped out and am hoping to use it more like a GPS on those to see how well that works. I think it will do great, but I don't know if would act like a google maps type gps and tell you when to turn. Gotta play with it some more to see what it will do.

Just looked up Rever and that app seems pretty freakin' rad.I used to spend a lot of time on 2 wheels too - wish that was around back when I had my bikes.
ExploreAZ

Rank 0

Sep 10, 2020

I use Gaia a lot, google satellite maps to reference and assist in finding those hidden gems, along with iOverlander, AllTrails, Campendium to name a few for reference. Living in CO, the amount of areas we have between CO, AZ, UT, WY, MT, ID, NM is amazing. To give you an idea, the harder it is for my tow vehicle to get to (the trailer will make it so long as the tow vehicle can), the more epic of a spot I find and more remote away from others. These pics should give you an idea of where we go and these are just from our last few trips.

Attachments

SIGMA.J, broncoCrzy

cant_hold_my_horses

Sep 21, 2020

I use Gaia a lot, google satellite maps to reference and assist in finding those hidden gems, along with iOverlander, AllTrails, Campendium to name a few for reference. Living in CO, the amount of areas we have between CO, AZ, UT, WY, MT, ID, NM is amazing. To give you an idea, the harder it is for my tow vehicle to get to (the trailer will make it so long as the tow vehicle can), the more epic of a spot I find and more remote away from others. These pics should give you an idea of where we go and these are just from our last few trips.

You go overlanding in some great spots! We are going to have to share some maps!

Rank VI

Sep 28, 2020

Does anyone do Geocaching on their treks? My kids really love discovering little treasures in the back country.
TXArchitect - 1719
[O=BRONCO=O]

Rank 0

Nov 02, 2020

I use Earthmate that pairs to my garmin inreach. I use the inreach’ satellites to locate me. I drop bread crumbs on trails i never been or create a route before i go. It’s good, but not great.
Check out my instragram #KD6TAV or my YouTube KD6TAV
BuzzyBud

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 24, 2020

Locus Maps and OnX Offroad are a couple other apps worth checking out.
allan, BuzzyBud

Rank 0

Dec 05, 2020

Earthmate is free and the garmin inreach account that connects to earthmate is also free. Works for me.
Check out my instragram #KD6TAV or my YouTube KD6TAV
TorgSurv, RockstarBobby

Rank VI

Dec 23, 2020

I use Avenza almost exclusively but this is primarily for motorcycling. It does pretty much everything I need it to do and I just figured out how to export .gpx tracks of rides.

I’m another CO resident and we have a trails app called COTREX that was developed with grants from our OHV sticker program. It’s really a great app for all types of trails in the state AND it’s free. They have been adding different features to it (like a compass function) that have made it even better. It’s starting to have better functionality than Avenza too. It also did a great job of keeping the forest closures updated with all the fires we had this summer.

I may not know what I’m missing with the other mapping/gps apps but I like my free apps and they do what I need.
RedCo, TorgSurv

Rank II

Dec 23, 2020

Ost

Rank 0

Dec 27, 2020

I use Avenza almost exclusively but this is primarily for motorcycling. It does pretty much everything I need it to do and I just figured out how to export .gpx tracks of rides.

I’m another CO resident and we have a trails app called COTREX that was developed with grants from our OHV sticker program. It’s really a great app for all types of trails in the state AND it’s free. They have been adding different features to it (like a compass function) that have made it even better. It’s starting to have better functionality than Avenza too. It also did a great job of keeping the forest closures updated with all the fires we had this summer.

I may not know what I’m missing with the other mapping/gps apps but I like my free apps and they do what I need.
I’ll have to check that out. I’m new to this scene and need very reliable Information. I’m a bit old school in that I carry physical maps in my vehicle, just in case I’ve got no service. Although Garmin is a pretty reliable device. it gets us every where and only lost service in Glenwood canyon a few years back.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

I’ll have to check that out. I’m new to this scene and need very reliable Information. I’m a bit old school in that I carry physical maps in my vehicle, just in case I’ve got no service. Although Garmin is a pretty reliable device. it gets us every where and only lost service in Glenwood canyon a few years back.

Your phone doesn’t need cell service with either of those apps as long as you have the maps downloaded. When I’m riding, I’ll put my phone in low battery mode and it will last all day with the GPS tracking on two apps at the same time. The key with Avenza is to know which map to download. The MVUM’s are free but there are some maps that cost $20 which I have a few. Be sure to make an account with Avenza so you can open the purchased maps on several devices.
Bronc96, RedCo

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Dec 30, 2020

Locus works great offline as well. Even with the free version you can pre-download tiles of USGS topo maps (scans of the original paper maps or the newer digital versions) and various other base maps for the area you're headed to, and import/export gps tracks and waypoints, kml files, etc.
Bronc96

Rank V

Jan 01, 2021

I use Backroad Maps (a combination of forest service/logging roads, hiking, ATV and snowmobile trails) in conjunction with Google satellite images. Right now I'm trying to find abandoned/overgrown trails to hopefully reopen to connect to other main trails.
RockstarBobby, RedCo