Opinions on Tops

HarrySquatch
Aug 27, 2021

Goldfinger

Aug 27, 2021

When I have to redo my order, should I go stock soft top/aftermarket hardtop or stock hardtop/aftermarket soft top? Wondering what everyone thinks of what will be showing up aftermarket. Thinking of fit, finish, quality.
Hobgoblin
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

You will always be in a better position for aftermarket options while keeping in mind cost implications by going with a factory hard top first and looking at hardtop later.

I originally had MIC hard top on my order but have changed to the soft top. I realize that I may never end up with a hard top but will have the option since the prep kit has now been included. That is fine by me. I look forward to the easier open air capabilities of the soft top. If good options exist later for hard top I will explore that.
mhayes66, TEEDEE

Rank IV

Aug 27, 2021

I've been thinking about this too.... One question i have is about the middle panel on the MIC top. I know the two front panels fit in the back. But if I put the rear seats down, will that large middle panel fit, also? I remember a video where someone tried it, but can't remember if it fit. Anyone know?

This will help in my MY22 selection. If it doesn't fit, might just go with the soft top for ease of letting the outside in. Then down the road get a hardtop.
Badlands - 4DR - Area 51 - 2.7 - MIC - Lux - MGV - Tow - Upgraded Wheels with BFG KO2s
HarrySquatch

Goldfinger

Aug 27, 2021

I am leaning more to the hard top, just because I live in Nebraska and the winters can be brutally cold.

Would be nice if an aftermarket could make 5 piece top. Rear removes in 2 pieces like the front. I understand it would be tough with the junction of all 4 pieces. Would help with the weight on the rear section. Better yet, if they could make it with the while side/rear window sections being removable. Leave the top on for a hardtop safari style.
Bronco V-8, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

Realistically, most people don't remove their hard top. If you want the open top experience, you're more likely to fold back the soft top. If you are honest with yourself, will you really want the open air experience, or does it just sound cool. If you want the open air experience, factory soft top. If you want the pros of having a hard top, factory hard top.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Hobgoblin, TK1215

Goldfinger

Aug 27, 2021

Realistically, most people don't remove their hard top. If you want the open top experience, you're more likely to fold back the soft top. If you are honest with yourself, will you really want the open air experience, or does it just sound cool. If you want the open air experience, factory soft top. If you want the pros of having a hard top, factory hard top.
When I had my Rubicon I got the dual tops. Winter the hard top. Summer rolled around and switched to soft top. Had the hard top lift and hung it up in the garage. Eventually I'll have both. Curious as to which would be the better way to

Rank IV

Aug 27, 2021

That's just it, I truly want both. Summer: Yep, all in on open that baby up every day. Winter: Never taking it off. Just getting through the cold stuff till summer comes.
Badlands - 4DR - Area 51 - 2.7 - MIC - Lux - MGV - Tow - Upgraded Wheels with BFG KO2s
HarrySquatch

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

Then get the factory soft top. The difference in temperature will be minimal between soft and hard tops.
Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

I am leaning more to the hard top, just because I live in Nebraska and the winters can be brutally cold.

Would be nice if an aftermarket could make 5 piece top. Rear removes in 2 pieces like the front. I understand it would be tough with the junction of all 4 pieces. Would help with the weight on the rear section. Better yet, if they could make it with the while side/rear window sections being removable. Leave the top on for a hardtop safari style.

I see you are in Kearney. I grew up in Hastings. Now down in Georgia.

It gets cold here in the winter but not like Nebraska though. From what I have seen from others who rock the soft top in winter is similar to what @AcesandEights said. Other piece of it is do you want the defrost and wiper function in winter?

Price and shipping for a hard top will be much more than a soft top later. That is why I was going with hard top first and then look to add a Bestop later. Now I am going all in on the soft top and will see if I need a hard top down the road.

Rank IV

Aug 27, 2021

Yeah, it's not so much the cold (yeah it get's cold here in the WV mountains) but, more so the defroster and the wiper to see out the back.
Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

Seems we have several options to consider. My hope is to obtain a 4Door soft top and switch it out for a Bestop Twill Trektop.(See below) Then look at AM hard tops when available. Maybe hold off until a Ford Mod top is ready in 2023. I am still hesitant about any Webasto products. Both the MIC top and the OEM soft top. Although the MIC top is being “improved” the focus might be on "cosmetic" only. I do not believe Ford has time for a serious redesign of the MIC top. That might be problematic.
2021 Bronco Velocity Blue.jpg

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

AZ sun destroys soft tops. Dealt with that with my wife's old Z3...no thanks.

I'm all in on the MIC top. I'll probably get something like the bimini mesh cover for some sun protection during the top off season (Mid Sept - Mid Nov) and (late Feb to mid May). Then I'll put the top on for the depths of our "winter" (hey, it does get chilly enough once the sun goes down I don't want to roll around topless) and most definitely for summer.

Rain is generally not an issue here, haha. Snow...gotta drive 3 hours hours north or west to see any of that white stuff.
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115

Rank IV

Aug 27, 2021

Does Bestop make a Non-Fastback softop for the Bronco? From what I've read, I'm probably in the minority, but don't like the fastback look. :)
Jakob1972

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

AZ sun destroys soft tops. Dealt with that with my wife's old Z3...no thanks.

Just wondering if you ever used 303 Aerospace Protectant on your tops? I used it on my Jeep soft top and it worked really well for sun protection and keeping the top looking great in So California sun. It is SPF 40, which means only about 2.5% of the UV is getting through.
KennyMac, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

Just wondering if you ever used 303 Aerospace Protectant on your tops? I used it on my Jeep soft top and it worked really well for sun protection and keeping the top looking great in So California sun. It is SPF 40, which means only about 2.5% of the UV is getting through.

The big issue was when Mrs @tlowell01 spent 3 years in Tucson for grad school and had to park outside 24x7. We tried all manner of protectants and nothing helped. The tops faded, the window discolored, the fabric became brittle and frayed. The tops were BMW tops, not aftermarket.

Granted the Bronco will most definitely not live outside. We have a garage here, and for the 10% of the time I will be commuting (yay, hybrid work model), I will bike, not drive. Its just the experience with the Z3 soured me so much on the concept of a soft top...never again.

The way that I plan on driving the Bronco and non-extreme climate here (other than heat) just makes switching from a hard top to a soft top seem unnecessary. If I'm wrong and need to reevaluate, I can get a soft top later.
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Libations MOD

Aug 27, 2021

Hard top 100% the cold temps are night and day during the winter!! Never again would only have a soft-top in cold climates

Not to mention, IMO the Ford factory soft tops look cheap as hell too. BEstTops is right up the road from me, so you can swing out and vacation and grab one down the road LOL
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
RdCrom86, HarrySquatch

Gladesmen

Aug 27, 2021

Does Bestop make a Non-Fastback softop for the Bronco? From what I've read, I'm probably in the minority, but don't like the fastback look. :)
I am with you, I am not a fan of the fast back but I really like the look of the BestTop it is only a slight slope in the rear. The TFL guys have one on their FE and it looks really good.
I am going factory MIC top and I will get the BestTop and Bimini later.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
AcesandEights

Rank 0

Sep 10, 2021

If i buy a badland with the soft top BUT NO prep kit included can i still put a hard top????
OBXBroncoGuy

Sep 10, 2021

If i buy a badland with the soft top BUT NO prep kit included can i still put a hard top????
I believe so, yes BUT you can’t control/have the rear defrost or rear windshield wiper

Rank 0

Sep 10, 2021

make sense thanks a lot :)