Oil Catch Can kit

Bsooudi
Aug 17, 2020

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2020

Not sure how many of you are interested in a oil catch can for the new Bronco. I reached out to Mishimoto Automotive to see if they had any future plans on designing a kit for when the Bronco comes out for both the 2.3 and 2.7. I got a response that unfortunately at this time they do not plan to offer a kit. I am hopeful that will change once the Bronco hits the streets. They make them for the 2.7 in the F-150 as well as I have one installed on my Jeep. Some people believe in catch cans and some don’t, but with the carbon build up on direct injection engines I am all for doing anything you can to protect for longevity. Does anyone know of any other companies that might be making them?
93jason, Rokos_Pocus
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2020

Rank IV

Aug 17, 2020

Not sure how many of you are interested in a oil catch can for the new Bronco. I reached out to Mishimoto Automotive to see if they had any future plans on designing a kit for when the Bronco comes out for both the 2.3 and 2.7. I got a response that unfortunately at this time they do not plan to offer a kit. I am hopeful that will change once the Bronco hits the streets. They make them for the 2.7 in the F-150 as well as I have one installed on my Jeep. Some people believe in catch cans and some don’t, but with the carbon build up on direct injection engines I am all for doing anything you can to protect for longevity. Does anyone know of any other companies that might be making them?
2.7L is port and DI design, not sure about the 2.3 I4?
Bsooudi

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2020

2.7L is port and DI design, not sure about the 2.3 I4?
Thanks. Good to know the 2.7 is a mix. I am planning on going with the 2.7 anyway.
Rokos_Pocus

Rank V

Aug 17, 2020

2.3 is supposedly DI as well. What's the purpose of the catch can exactly?

Answered my own question with Google- go figure...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27182434/how-oil-catch-can-works/
'06 Ranger FX4- headers, MBRP, tuner & Mickey Thompsons
'65 F100 with a crunchy 390 & a lot of good parts
Big Mike, DRWright

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2020

2.3 is supposedly DI as well. What's the purpose of the catch can exactly?

Answered my own question with Google- go figure...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a27182434/how-oil-catch-can-works/
No worries. Google to the rescue. I installed one on my Jeep. Very simple and easy to do. Lots of videos out. Like I said I am all for doing whatever I can to help prolong the life of the engine even if it’s a small percentage.
Dubya TF

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2020

I didn't kn ow anything about that.

Now Im showing my ignorance, why couldn't a person run the correct tubing and connect a "universal" catch can? Also what engines does this affect?
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now
Rokos_Pocus, Bsooudi

Rank V

Aug 17, 2020

No worries. Google to the rescue. I installed one on my Jeep. Very simple and easy to do. Lots of videos out. Like I said I am all for doing whatever I can to help prolong the life of the engine even if it’s a small percentage.
I should've known better but this isn't an issue with diesels. Used to be just "dribble tubes" on diesels venting out what it wanted to straight onto the road. Yeah, not anymore.
Bsooudi

Rank V

Aug 17, 2020

Now Im showing my ignorance, why couldn't a person run the correct tubing and connect a "universal" catch can? Also what engines does this affect?

Good info here from enginelabs-
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/catch-can-why-direct-injection-makes-them-a-must/
Fstfrd00, Bsooudi

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2020

The main issue is for direct injection engines, but you can run one on aport injection. Any brand can do the job, I just like the design of Mishimoto. In the old days before environmental control oil would just drop out onto the street, but those days are long gone. Now it gets put into the engine to be burnt off. Even Scotty thinks it’s a good idea which is amazing! Lol for those that know Scotty on YouTube. He does a great job at explaining it all.

Weezie, Rokos_Pocus

Rank 0

Aug 18, 2020

I always put an OCC on my DI cars. Probably going to do it to the 2.7 when we get it
.< Rokos
Bsooudi

Rank VI

Aug 18, 2020

I always put an OCC on my DI cars. Probably going to do it to the 2.7 when we get it
Oil catch can not only for DI cars. It’s a benefit on all turbo cars and even high performance NA cars like my GT350. Oil blow by going into the intake gets into the combustion chamber and dilutes the octane rating of the fuel. In a performance NA car with 12:1 compression that loss of octane brings on early detonation and cuts power. Same for a turbo car. The boosted car would see knock under full boost and have its timing pulled to reduce power too
Big Mike, Bsooudi

Rank VI

Aug 19, 2020

Scotty is a moron. Can't stand the dude. All of his click bait titles and annoying videos. :LOL:

I put breathers on instead of installing catch cans. Many people use them and swear by them, others just think it's an unneeded accessory.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
JonL, Bandera

Rank III

Aug 21, 2020

Once they get a Broco it will be easy to adapt the Mustang/F150 kit to a Bronco. Not rocket surgery.
2018 Ford Raptor
2020 Audi SQ5-2022 4dr Wildtrak on order.
Bsooudi, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Aug 21, 2020

Scotty is a moron. Can't stand the dude. All of his click bait titles and annoying videos. :LOL:

I put breathers on instead of installing catch cans. Many people use them and swear by them, others just think it's an unneeded accessory.
:ROFLMAO: I appreciate his content but not his delivery.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.

Rank 0

Jan 21, 2022

Here's the Mishimoto one for the 2.3L. Just went on pre-sale with estimated ship date in February. Looks perfect.

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-bronco-23l-catch-can-kit-2021.html