Offroading in a NON sasquatch no lockers question.

DFW Rusty
Sep 30, 2021

Rank II

Sep 30, 2021

The Bronco that we ordered does not have lockers or the limited slip. This is going to be my wife's DD for the next 3-4 years. Then it becomes our toy. However in that mean time, there maybe the occasion where we take it some where that requires 4wd at which time I am curious. Is the Bronco like the jeeps (2007 +) that have the traction control system that will apply brakes to the spinning tire to help get the non spinning tire to start pulling? Everything I google and look up always leads back to the sasquatch or broncos with limited slip.
4 door, big bend, 222A options, auto, 2.3L. Ordered 9/15/2021, Delivered 12/7/2021.
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2021

Gladesmen

Sep 30, 2021

That
The Bronco that we ordered does not have lockers or the limited slip. This is going to be my wife's DD for the next 3-4 years. Then it becomes our toy. However in that mean time, there maybe the occasion where we take it some where that requires 4wd at which time I am curious. Is the Bronco like the jeeps (2007 +) that have the traction control system that will apply brakes to the spinning tire to help get the non spinning tire to start pulling? Everything I google and look up always leads back to the sasquatch or broncos with limited slip.
That is a great question. I’m curious as well.
But I can say I have seen lots of these Broncos do obstacles in just 4x4 low and not turn on any lockers. A lot of times when you are in that situation you are hung up on something on the bottom of your vehicle. If you are planning that type of wheeling you might consider some good bash/skid plates.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank IV

Sep 30, 2021

I just arrived from moab
I did the bronco off-roadeo

Look this video of bronco sport
On 4L if i remember he did not activate the read locker. This will give you idea what you can do....
I know you have the real bronco.... if the bronco sport can do that you should be ok with the real bronco.....

The big issue if you dont have sasquash is the gear ratio of the diff. Most of the bronco without the sasquash have i think 3.8 gear ratio except the badland and higher trim You migh have a problem if you put bigger tired and do trail or rock climing but should be ok to show off on the road...lol

I recomand you to do the bronco off-roadeo moab.... look some video on you tube of Dome Plateau this is the trail the do at the offroadeo in moab ....

I did it last week and it amazing to see what you can do with the Bronco.....

See pic
I did that in 4L no diff lock
But we have the sasquash package and 4.7 gear ratio and it was a breeze to climb....

I will eventualy post a lot of video of my experiance in moab.....20210927_141013.jpgIMG_20210926_220711.jpg
KennyMac, TK1215

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

The TCS in the Bronco is designed for slippery conditions on the road such as wet pavement, snow, ice. It will automatically sense will slippage and transfer power to a wheel that has traction while monitoring engine power and transmission gearing to help keep you safe. It is not intended in any way to perform off rd and will not work well at all in that circumstance. You need a limited slip or locker for that. Toyota has ATS which does act like a limited slip front and rear, uses the brakes (kinda like a brake locker) & It does work great. The Bronco does not have this in any way or form, its just open front & rear without an added traction device. You will really notice not having a traction device when climbing a steep grade in loose gravel, getting a tire in the air, one tire in soft mud, etc. you basically will have 2 wheel drive (1 front & 1 rear spinning). Hope this helps.
[O=••••=O]

Formerly True

Sep 30, 2021

I drove a non-sas badlands at bronco offroadeo. I think only twice did I need the lockers. The bash plates were hitting alot though so thats a must. I think you should at least have rear lockers.

Rank VI

Sep 30, 2021

stay out of the mud bogs … and drive slow... you will be fine.

Driving off road is like driving on ice. Until you figure out what your doing .. it is best to take it slow.

After a few times you will get the hang of it. It is all about keeping forward momentum. I have a 1993 lifted Bronco that I put a full locker in the rear. I usually don't even have to use 4WD to get through most stuff.

Besides your better half is not going to let you sink the Bronco in a huge mud hole that you had no business driving into … in the first place.
Jakob1972

Rank II

Sep 30, 2021

Besides your better half is not going to let you sink the Bronco in a huge mud hole that you had no business driving into … in the first place.

My better half is the instigator......
4 door, big bend, 222A options, auto, 2.3L. Ordered 9/15/2021, Delivered 12/7/2021.
Username, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Sep 30, 2021

The TCS in the Bronco is designed for slippery conditions on the road such as wet pavement, snow, ice. It will automatically sense will slippage and transfer power to a wheel that has traction while monitoring engine power and transmission gearing to help keep you safe. It is not intended in any way to perform off rd and will not work well at all in that circumstance. You need a limited slip or locker for that. Toyota has ATS which does act like a limited slip front and rear, uses the brakes (kinda like a brake locker) & It does work great. The Bronco does not have this in any way or form, its just open front & rear without an added traction device. You will really notice not having a traction device when climbing a steep grade in loose gravel, getting a tire in the air, one tire in soft mud, etc. you basically will have 2 wheel drive (1 front & 1 rear spinning). Hope this helps.

Good to know, kind of bummed to hear it though. I understand getting a locker or limited slip, but was just hoping that the TC helps when in a bit of a bind like the jeeps does on the non rubicon models.
Daisy76

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

The TCS in the Bronco is designed for slippery conditions on the road such as wet pavement, snow, ice. It will automatically sense will slippage and transfer power to a wheel that has traction while monitoring engine power and transmission gearing to help keep you safe. It is not intended in any way to perform off rd and will not work well at all in that circumstance.

I don't understand how it won't help off-road. It has no idea if it's slipping because of ice or if it's slipping because of loose rock on the trail. I would think it would work the same in either situation, not to mention its behavior would be modified by GOAT mode selection. It's traction control and it's on a Bronco, I would think it has to be intended to perform off-road.

Rank V

Sep 30, 2021

It does do exactly what you're asking when trail control is on (the low speed cruise control). I'm not sure how else to activate the offroad traction control feature. I do know in 4x4 low, ALL traction control is disabled, but at Off-Roadeo they said that could potentially change down the road (software update?) To see it in action, start around 6:00 in this video.

7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Deano Bronc, ChapEJF

Rank V

Oct 01, 2021

It does do exactly what you're asking when trail control is on (the low speed cruise control). I'm not sure how else to activate the offroad traction control feature. I do know in 4x4 low, ALL traction control is disabled, but at Off-Roadeo they said that could potentially change down the road (software update?) To see it in action, start around 6:00 in this video.

This was a total bullshit review by Toyota lovers and proves my point exactly how well that Bronco performed with just traction control and no locker or limited slip. They do not have a clue what they are talking about on either vehicle in that review or how to use the modes. Trail control in the Bronco is offroad cruise control and thats absolutely it. NOTHING to do with torque limited slip! They had that 4runner with A-Trac activated in crawl control mode & didn’t even realize it! You can see it blinking by the speedo. Toyota (on equipped models)
A-Trac is activated in crawl mode or MTS (Multi Terrain select) mode or by pushing the A-Trac button on (3 ways to activate it). Actually, it is best to turn of traction control while off roading. So that Toyota in that video had pretty much front & rear limited slip activated while the Bronco was sitting there with open axles and thats why it couldn’t go forward on that incline with loose grave, just as I stated originally! They should have read the owners manuals. But then again it was a biased review for the Toyota fan club!
[O=••••=O]
Fox-4

Rank V

Oct 01, 2021

The TCS in the Bronco is designed for slippery conditions on the road such as wet pavement, snow, ice. It will automatically sense will slippage and transfer power to a wheel that has traction while monitoring engine power and transmission gearing to help keep you safe. It is not intended in any way to perform off rd and will not work well at all in that circumstance.

I don't understand how it won't help off-road. It has no idea if it's slipping because of ice or if it's slipping because of loose rock on the trail. I would think it would work the same in either situation, not to mention its behavior would be modified by GOAT mode selection. It's traction control and it's on a Bronco, I would think it has to be intended to perform off-road.

Simply put, It takes a lot more torque to force a tire/axle to turn/spin when off-roading than it does while moving down the road 30-40mph on a slippery surface where the system can switch from tire to tire In milliseconds.
[O=••••=O]

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2021

All you have to do is ride the brake with your left foot, dragging the brakes will distribute torque to all 4 wheels.

Rank V

Oct 01, 2021

Simply put, It takes a lot more torque to force a tire/axle to turn/spin when off-roading than it does while moving down the road 30-40mph on a slippery surface where the system can switch from tire to tire In milliseconds.

I'll just have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. If Bronco traction control wouldn't have an impact in off-road situations then certain GOAT modes wouldn't disable it when you need/want wheel spin. I'm not saying it functions at the level of lockers or limited slip, but it definitely helps and is better than straight up open diffs with no traction control.

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2021

My better half is the instigator......

You my friend …. are truly a lucky man.
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2021

Good to know, kind of bummed to hear it though. I understand getting a locker or limited slip, but was just hoping that the TC helps when in a bit of a bind like the jeeps does on the non rubicon models.
Yeah.... apparently just never mind all the goat modes. Rolls eyes.
Just dismiss everything you read in that post.
Even the pro racers and YouTube full timers like litebright have been surprised, even amazed at how well all the electronic driving aids work.... OFFROAD!
JEEZUS..... What do you think they designed the damn thing for?

Like I tell all off-roading newbs that ask , you will be AMAZED at how far two open diffs and 33's can take you. I say that not even factoring in the electronic aids that my 69 Bronco DOES NOT have.
I can't wait to see what my new Base can do with the modern traction control, etc.
This Bronco is going to be a STUD!
Day 1 res first 3 hours, Feb 6th order; May 25th? scheduled for build, July 15th Build date, Dirt Mountain 2.5 months, delivered into my loving hands Oct. 8th
TK1215, KennyMac

Rank V

Oct 01, 2021

Here is more of a breakdown on what TC is. Again it is designed as a safety device and can actually work against you and be hard on your brakes when doing true offroad. Not talking about going down a snow covered gravel rd at 40mph, of course it helps out then. The TC will try its best when in a difficult situation but just isn’t designed for off roading application. (The one exception is Toys A-Trac system). Thats why in certain GOAT modes it turns it off and it should be that way. I know there is a ton of confusion on this but every Ford vehicle has it. F150 is exactly the same and it has modes also. Hope these articles help make things clearer!

https://www.motortrend.com/features/what-is-traction-control/amp
https://tap.fremontmotors.com/how-to-turn-off-traction-control-and-why/
[O=••••=O]

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 01, 2021

All you have to do is ride the brake with your left foot, dragging the brakes will distribute torque to all 4 wheels.
Yup you are right.
This is why I don't like that electric parking brake, the old days you could apply partial parking brake to do the same on just the rear end.
KennyMac, Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Oct 02, 2021

Yup you are right.
This is why I don't like that electric parking brake, the old days you could apply partial parking brake to do the same on just the rear end.
Yep and in a pinch I have used the parking brake as a rudimentary trail turn. Just drag both rear wheels to make a tighter turn. But I was in a situation where my ass end was on some loose gravel and the front was on solid rock.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery