Door window wobble when opening

Mikey Smith
Nov 03, 2021

OBIE

Nov 03, 2021

Some folks are commenting that the frameless front windows wobble a bit when the the door is opened. If you watch, you can observe the window drops about half inch, to clear the roof runner. When the door is closed, the window rises back full up.
Bronc96, WeakNinja
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 03, 2021

Rank III

Nov 03, 2021

That is a feature on my 2011 Mustang that has worked great since getting the car in July 2010.Assumed because the coupe is so air tight that relieved stress on the window when closing.

Attachments

Rank IV

Nov 03, 2021

Can confirm, my rear passenger side window "grabs" when I open the door. The window doesn't drop fast enough to clear the rubber seal which creates a window wobble. Took it in to have the window recalibrated which didn't change a thing. Wouldn't be surprised if the window doesn't just snap one of these days. UGH
Black Diamond, 4 Dr, Carbonized Grey, 2.7L, Hard Top, tow pkg

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Nov 03, 2021

I had a car years ago when that feature first came out and I always just lifted the handle first then opened the door . Sometimes you have to adapt to features you are not accustomed to . It's not that hard . What are people doing , yanking the door open ?
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Deano Bronc, KennyMac

Rank IV

Nov 03, 2021

I had a car years ago when that feature first came out and I always just lifted the handle first then opened the door . Sometimes you have to adapt to features you are not accustomed to . It's not that hard . What are people doing , yanking the door open ?
I've adapted.....I don't open that door
Black Diamond, 4 Dr, Carbonized Grey, 2.7L, Hard Top, tow pkg
AcesandEights

Rank IV

Nov 04, 2021

Check the source of "others" complaining about it.....I haven't seen it. The Mustang has used it for nearly 20 years.
I did listen to a popular Overland Podcast guy that complained about it, but for the record, He doesn't even own a Bronco and his only exposure was a 1 hr press access where he was not allowed to start or drive the vehicle. He basically lied based on his perceived observation.... but he was successful in creating false concern across the internet.... He's a jeep guy.
Arrowbear Rider, Rydfree

Rank 0

Nov 04, 2021

I have had mine for about 2 weeks, and it certainly drops/raises a half inch or so. I have not experienced any "wobble", but it is certainly an unusual thing to get used to. I am glad to hear that someone has ben doing this for 10 years - it just seems like the kind of feature that would quit working. (Two weeks after the warranty expired, of course.) So far so good here.

Life is a Highway

Nov 04, 2021

I noticed it with dealer demos. @Rydfree you are correct. People are yanking the doors. A slight hesitation when opening will do it. Just don’t be in a rush people! :ROFLMAO:
Deano Bronc, Rydfree

OBIE

Nov 04, 2021

This has been a common approach for convertibles for a long time, first used on 1965 Lincoln Continental convertible, all controlled by mechanical relays so it was very unreliable and cost Ford a lot in warranty costs. On 2004 Jaguar XKR. it does this reliably with electronics. Frameless door glass on non-convertibles was a lot more common back in the 1960s and most of those cars didn’t drop the glass because they weren’t anywhere near as concerned about wind noise. Once wind noise did become a big issue many thing were tried to keep the glass against the seals to counteract the airflow sucking the glass outward at high speeds. The most successful were “blowout” clips above the glass, and to open the door the glass had to be lowered to go below the clips. The Jag today has the same concept built into the weather-strips.

Beach Pony

Nov 04, 2021

My 1971 Mustang notch back had frameless front door manual windows. No issues.
TK1215