Off-Rodeo - Random Reflections

Howdy
Jul 02, 2021

Rank XII

Jul 02, 2021

• If you are a seasoned off-roader, you will not be disappointed by the driving experiences. Your knowledge and driving prowess will be quickly recognized by your instructor(s) to make the adventure more meaningful to all in your group. The trail rides aren't hokey-pokey or mamby-pamby. Most of the photographs and video you have probably seen lack dimensional proportion and scale. It's even better than it looks.
  • If you ordered a 2-door and are a tall girl or boy, don't worry about the measurements; you will get in/out and fit fine. I'm 6'2" and there is plenty of knee, shoulder and headroom for folks much taller. I don't think you have to worry if generously big either (unless you're André Roussimoff sized). I am not a fan of the B-pillar placement on the 4-door for a taller driver. It negatively impacts entry, exit and shoulders while seated.
  • The manual and automatic transmissions perform better than I expected. The Crawler gear is very similar in feel to the low (granny) in 3/4T and larger p/u trucks. It's almost impossible to stall the 2.3L engine, as you can navigate most any obstacle at idle speed or with slight acceleration. The automatic is the best transmission I've ever experienced in a truck.
  • The 2.3L engine has plenty of power. I can best describe the 2.7L by saying, it has more than plenty.
  • The MIC roofs creak during vehicle articulation. I realize these are preproduction models, but I thought it was excessive.
These are just a few of my opinions. Make plans to attend Off-Rodeo...you will be glad you did.
Bronco_Girl, TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 02, 2021

Rank VI

Jul 03, 2021

Thanks for the info! All the videos makes me really want to go to one. I can’t wait to see the dates for the other locations :cool:
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Howdy, Bronc96

Rank V

Jul 03, 2021

The Off-Roadeo sure looks awesome. The one in Vermont looks most appealing to me, with Moab a close second. Maybe I'll trick the wife into going, ha! Thanks for your impressions.
Bronco Outer Banks, 4-Door, Sasquatch, Eruption Green, Soft Top, 2.7L, Lux Equipment, Leather Roast Trim, Modular Bumper
Howdy, Bronc96

Rank V

Jul 03, 2021

The Off-Roadeo sure looks awesome. The one in Vermont looks most appealing to me, with Moab a close second. Maybe I'll trick the wife into going, ha! Thanks for your impressions.

I was looking at that one too but saw an article that it might not be happening. Fingers crossed we get some dates soon, for Broncos AND off roadeo!
Howdy, Bronc96

Rank V

Jul 04, 2021

• If you are a seasoned off-roader, you will not be disappointed by the driving experiences. Your knowledge and driving prowess will be quickly recognized by your instructor(s) to make the adventure more meaningful to all in your group. The trail rides aren't hokey-pokey or mamby-pamby. Most of the photographs and video you have probably seen lack dimensional proportion and scale. It's even better than it looks.
  • If you ordered a 2-door and are a tall girl or boy, don't worry about the measurements; you will get in/out and fit fine. I'm 6'2" and there is plenty of knee, shoulder and headroom for folks much taller. I don't think you have to worry if generously big either (unless you're André Roussimoff sized). I am not a fan of the B-pillar placement on the 4-door for a taller driver. It negatively impacts entry, exit and shoulders while seated.
  • The manual and automatic transmissions perform better than I expected. The Crawler gear is very similar in feel to the low (granny) in 3/4T and larger p/u trucks. It's almost impossible to stall the 2.3L engine, as you can navigate most any obstacle at idle speed or with slight acceleration. The automatic is the best transmission I've ever experienced in a truck.
  • The 2.3L engine has plenty of power. I can best describe the 2.7L by saying, it has more than plenty.
  • The MIC roofs creak during vehicle articulation. I realize these are preproduction models, but I thought it was excessive.
These are just a few of my opinions. Make plans to attend Off-Rodeo...you will be glad you did.

Very early in the trail ride, you'll make a hard left and drop down into Rocky Wash #1, a muddy creek bed. Your front right tire drops down into the creek, while your left rear is still up on the bank, and it puts the vehicle at a pretty good diagonal angle. Just a taste of what's coming later on. But just before you make that left hand turn into the creek, look out your passenger window at the trail that seems to go straight up the hill, out of sight.. You look at that, think to yourself, "Ain't nobody goin' up that." You're right - that's the bottom of Lizard Lunch, which you'll be coming DOWN near the end of your second day. Yes, it's as steep as it looks. You will lose traction and slide a little. BUT, you'll be using Trail Assist, with the speed set to 1 mph. The Bronco will maintain that speed, all the way down that steep hill, over rocks, gravel, and dirt, without you touching the gas or the brake pedal. It's impressive.

I noticed that in 4 Lo, Mud and Rut GOAT mode, the 1st to 2nd shift was delayed and a bit jerky. Maybe it was just the particular vehicle I was in, or the transmission programming was a pre-production version, but it stood out to me, particularly on the "Roadrunner" course, which was the only time I got to experience any speed over about 15 mph.

Also, again possibly due to the particular vehicle (plus it was still in 4 Lo), but the overall power output of the 2,7L ( yep, I popped the hood on the Bronco I was driving just to make sure)
didn't exactly make me grin. I had it floored out of the corners on the Roadrunner course, and it took some time for the boost to come on - and when it did, it wasn't that "shove in your back" I was hoping for. I guess I've driven V8's so long that's what I'm used to. Hopefully the production vehicles finalized programming are a little more impressive. I think if I had been able to experience driving it in 2 Hi, Sport Mode, it would have probably felt a bit quicker.
Howdy, Bronc96