Off-Roading Equipment

Shadowblade
Feb 28, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

What type of off-roading are you doing and what equipment are you adding to your Bronco (or vehicle) to safely accomplish it? I’m looking for ideas on Jacks, Winches, Comprossors, Recovery Gear???

I’m aiming for high speed and some slower muddy forest/mountain trails, I’ve got a general idea, but no brands or specific options planned.
  • 48” Jack
  • Air Compressor (probably under the seat mounted)
  • Recovery Boards
  • Straps (not sure if I want a winch too)
This is my starting, but I’m still planning. What are your ideas??
Bronco Nation Member #2396
Ordered: First Edition w/Area 51, Onyx Interior, MIC Top
If you're not in a Ford Bronco, you better be on horseback.
Darrel, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2021

Rank V

Feb 28, 2021

Straps are good but winches are great if you are alone and get stuck. Get a tree strap also. You put it around a tree so you don't rip the bark off and kill the tree. Get a fire extinguisher. A safe can of gas. A CB radio. The radio comes in handy when on a group ride. The first and last truck should have a CB.
One time I got high centered on a submerged stump. The winch saved the day. All 4 wheels were off the ground! More later! :giggle:
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC
AzBronc, Woods Bronco

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

A lot of drivers like the 48" Jack. But get some good advice on how to use it safely. It CAN HURT you if not used correctly.
Woods Bronco, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Feb 28, 2021

A lot of drivers like the 48" Jack. But get some good advice on how to use it safely. It CAN HURT you if not used correctly.
Good advice. People have been hurt, and killed, when a tow line snaps also.
4 Door Badlands: Carbonized Gray, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Towing Package, 35" Tires ETC
Rjcook, Steve777468

No Ragerts

Feb 28, 2021

Straps are good for pulling/towing but I recently learned the virtues of kinetic rope for extraction and highly recommend adding a suitable example to you gear cache!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Rjcook, Woods Bronco

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

Straps are good but winches are great if you are alone and get stuck. Get a tree strap also. You put it around a tree so you don't rip the bark off and kill the tree. Get a fire extinguisher. A safe can of gas. A CB radio. The radio comes in handy when on a group ride. The first and last truck should have a CB.
One time I got high centered on a submerged stump. The winch saved the day. All 4 wheels were off the ground! More later! :giggle:
That’s how you know it was a good trip!
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Rank VI

Feb 28, 2021

This is my starting, but I’m still planning.
So I wasn’t finished with he initial post, but didn’t have time to finish it off, so here goes.

High Speed dessert runs when I’m roaming around the southwest. Thinking of places in AZ, CO, NM that are moderately flat soft or hard dried earth with wide open spaces to travel at high speeds (40mph+).

Beaches along the Easter Seaboard from Main to Florida. Slow paced cruising with the top and doors off.

Mountain trails like along the Appalachian trails, and for when I get out there Badlands and Rockies too. Where I’m going to encounter water, mud, dirt, trees, and hills.

Current Equipment Build:
Still on the fence about the following items:
  • Winch

Rank V

Feb 28, 2021

If you drive on a sandy beach much get a winch. I used to set in a bar over looking the beach and laugh at people trying to pull out a stuck car. They would hook on, put it in 4X4 and bury themselves! Back off and hook up a winch. But if your in Saint Augustine, FL forget what I said! I need the laugh! :giggle:
Rjcook, Stryf

Rank VI

Jan 01, 2022

I’m starting to plan for spring adventures, and also the reality of snow (finally!). In addition to your list…
-Shovel, often overlooked but very handy
-Axe, mostly cause they look cool, but when you need one you need one.
-extinguisher. I’m digging these from element. Size and function is great. https://elementfire.com/. Use magnet or quick fist to rollbar. Going to put one in all vehicles and around the house too!

anyone come up with a good way to mount recovery boards?
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Rank VI

Jan 01, 2022

I carry a folding saw instead of an axe. Just less weight & size. Sometimes a hatchet when we go on a trail maintenance trip. Small battery chain saw is really great.
Rjcook, Shoresy

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jan 19, 2022

I completly disagree on the farm jack, loose that thing. A winch should be at the top of the list along with a proper battery to help with amp draw.

L.R.
AcesandEights

Rank VI

Jan 19, 2022

I have the ARB Recovery Jack. Not as dangerous as the HiLift. But still do not use it. Bottle Jack much more useful. Agree Winch is most valuable. Have seen & been in situations where 2 winches are needed. Kind of embarrassing to be hooked up front & back.
Deano Bronc, LoneRanger

Rank I

Jan 30, 2022

Any ideas on how/where to mount recovery boards on 4dr Soft top?
Badlands, Cactus Gray, 4-door, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.7L , Towing
Power-Leather Seats, Soft Top

No Ragerts

Jan 31, 2022

Any ideas on how/where to mount recovery boards on 4dr Soft top?
I think the only real option is the spare tire. GP Max Trax & Roto Pax each make mounts for that area but I have no first hand experience. Good luck!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

🐎 Moab on my mind 🐎

Jan 31, 2022

What type of off-roading are you doing and what equipment are you adding to your Bronco (or vehicle) to safely accomplish it? I’m looking for ideas on Jacks, Winches, Comprossors, Recovery Gear???

I’m aiming for high speed and some slower muddy forest/mountain trails, I’ve got a general idea, but no brands or specific options planned.
  • 48” Jack
  • Air Compressor (probably under the seat mounted)
  • Recovery Boards
  • Straps (not sure if I want a winch too)
This is my starting, but I’m still planning. What are your ideas??
All I have right now is straps and friends with rigs with everything else. Plan is to get a winch, eventually. Wheeling in NM is a lot of sand and dirt and rocks.
Hi y'all, Lauri here and I am the proud owner of a MY21 Badlands, SAS, 2.7 auto, 4 door, soft top, Cactus Gray, no reservation, ordered 9/11/21, Took delivery 1/8/22!

Rank VI

Jan 31, 2022

You have the most important part correct - Don't Go Alone
Rjcook, LoneRanger

Rank V

Mar 05, 2022

All I have right now is straps and friends with rigs with everything else. Plan is to get a winch, eventually. Wheeling in NM is a lot of sand and dirt and rocks.
I'm in same spot, waiting on winch bumper, have everything else for kinetic recoveries. Having hard time deciding on a jack that would work on the various conditions that may occur
Darrel

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2022

Which Winch Bumper are you waiting for? Since I just got a build date of Week of March 21, I am more interested in what to order next.

Rank V

Mar 05, 2022

Which Winch Bumper are you waiting for? Since I just got a build date of Week of March 21, I am more interested in what to order next.
I'm getting the maxlider front bumper and a warn 10s winch. Won't be here until May. Most everything else I looked at may be cheaper but still 12-16 week delivery. Iv have 10k miles on my Badlands non Sasquatch. I have doing a lot of off roading in various terrains. Haven't needed a winch yet, but I have avoided areas where one might be needed. I found the most useful items are a good kinetic recovery kit, and check out Bronco Busters Products if you are going to do serious off road adventures. Right now Im trying to decide on an off road jack and where to store it
Chief Ron, Darrel

Rank II

Jan 03, 2024

Bumping an old thread, but thought this might be helpful to some. I just acquired a Bronco last week, and searching forums/Google for a multitude of things to do to it. :-)

When I first got into off roading in my F-150, did not have a winch. There were a ton of others using a More Power Puller, basically a heavy-duty come-a-long. This thing is stout! Search YouTube for some videos of people using this to recover vehicles. Nice thing is, easy to transport, you can hook it to the front or rear of a vehicle and it won't need any power other than your muscles.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/
LoneRanger, Deano Bronc