Champion I

Jun 26, 2020
Columbia, MD, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Peeler
Member #

What type of off-roading are you doing and what equipment are you adding to your Bronco (or vehicle) to safely accomplish it? I’m looking for ideas on Jacks, Winches, Comprossors, Recovery Gear???

I’m aiming for high speed and some slower muddy forest/mountain trails, I’ve got a general idea, but no brands or specific options planned.
  • 48” Jack
  • Air Compressor (probably under the seat mounted)
  • Recovery Boards
  • Straps (not sure if I want a winch too)
This is my starting, but I’m still planning. What are your ideas??

BroncoTerry

Rank V

Supporter II

Feb 23, 2021
Saint Augustine, FL, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
McGee
Member #

Straps are good but winches are great if you are alone and get stuck. Get a tree strap also. You put it around a tree so you don't rip the bark off and kill the tree. Get a fire extinguisher. A safe can of gas. A CB radio. The radio comes in handy when on a group ride. The first and last truck should have a CB.
One time I got high centered on a submerged stump. The winch saved the day. All 4 wheels were off the ground! More later! :giggle:

Bschurr

Rank V

Don't delete

Jan 28, 2021
NY, USA
First Name
Barry
Last Name
Schurr
Straps are good for pulling/towing but I recently learned the virtues of kinetic rope for extraction and highly recommend adding a suitable example to you gear cache!

Shadowblade

Rank VI

Champion I

Jun 26, 2020
Columbia, MD, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Peeler
Member #

Straps are good but winches are great if you are alone and get stuck. Get a tree strap also. You put it around a tree so you don't rip the bark off and kill the tree. Get a fire extinguisher. A safe can of gas. A CB radio. The radio comes in handy when on a group ride. The first and last truck should have a CB.
One time I got high centered on a submerged stump. The winch saved the day. All 4 wheels were off the ground! More later! :giggle:
That’s how you know it was a good trip!

Shadowblade

Rank VI

Champion I

Jun 26, 2020
Columbia, MD, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Peeler
Member #

This is my starting, but I’m still planning.
So I wasn’t finished with he initial post, but didn’t have time to finish it off, so here goes.

High Speed dessert runs when I’m roaming around the southwest. Thinking of places in AZ, CO, NM that are moderately flat soft or hard dried earth with wide open spaces to travel at high speeds (40mph+).

Beaches along the Easter Seaboard from Main to Florida. Slow paced cruising with the top and doors off.

Mountain trails like along the Appalachian trails, and for when I get out there Badlands and Rockies too. Where I’m going to encounter water, mud, dirt, trees, and hills.

Current Equipment Build:
Still on the fence about the following items:
  • Winch

BroncoTerry

Rank V

Supporter II

Feb 23, 2021
Saint Augustine, FL, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
McGee
Member #

If you drive on a sandy beach much get a winch. I used to set in a bar over looking the beach and laugh at people trying to pull out a stuck car. They would hook on, put it in 4X4 and bury themselves! Back off and hook up a winch. But if your in Saint Augustine, FL forget what I said! I need the laugh! :giggle: