Electric parking brake design

Plum819
Jul 01, 2022

Rank III

Jul 01, 2022

We love our 2022 Black Diamond 2dr hardtop but Im a little upset with the design of the motors for the electric parking brake. My wife was on the last mile of an 8hr ride from the OBX when she ran over a stick . The stick got jammed into the wheel well and ended up breaking the the electric connection on the parking brake electric motor. Also the plug to the motor was damaged as well. I think it’s a bad design for a vehicle that is designed to go off-road. It ether needs to be protected or the motor needs to be redesigned to have a flush mount connection. The new motor cost me $185 and the plug was $55. Guess it could of been worse but still irks me.83DFC7D1-F56A-4B4A-AB14-A9D40774A8F9.jpeg1FE6A227-7CF0-457D-BB6D-D880F27AAC33.jpeg
KennyMac, Jakob1972
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 01, 2022

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 01, 2022

Truthfully I just think the electric brake in general is a bad idea.

I know most manufacturers are slowly migrating to electric brakes on all of their vehicles. But having least one method to brake the vehicle that doesn’t require power or a motor in case of emergencies is just a really good idea… and I just don’t understand why manufacturers are abandoning the traditional cable-driven parking brake.

A few weeks ago my 2013 Focus was in the driveway and idiot me ran the battery dead. Because it has a cable-drive brake I was able to easily move it out of the way within 10 seconds. If it was an electric brake that wouldn’t have been possible.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
KennyMac, SuperMike

No Ragerts

Jul 01, 2022

Truthfully I just think the electric brake in general is a bad idea.

I know most manufacturers are slowly migrating to electric brakes on all of their vehicles. But having least one method to brake the vehicle that doesn’t require power or a motor in case of emergencies is just a really good idea… and I just don’t understand why manufacturers are abandoning the traditional cable-driven parking brake.

A few weeks ago my 2013 Focus was in the driveway and idiot me ran the battery dead. Because it has a cable-drive brake I was able to easily move it out of the way within 10 seconds. If it was an electric brake that wouldn’t have been possible.
You nailed it 100%

An emergency brake is just that and they should all be mechanically actuated!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Mal, EvlNvrDys

Gladesmen

Jul 01, 2022

Yep not a fan. I only have one vehicle that has the e parking brake and it doesn’t always disengage when you depress the button. At least with a mechanical brake if I go through the motion of disengaging the parking brake it was off.
But the electric parking brakes are what gives us trail turn assist so might be a necessary evil.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bschurr, JoergH

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 01, 2022

Yep not a fan. I only have one vehicle that has the e parking brake and it doesn’t always disengage when you depress the button. At least with a mechanical brake if I go through the motion of disengaging the parking brake it was off.
But the electric parking brakes are what gives us trail turn assist so might be a necessary evil.
Oh wait they're using the parking brake for that?? I just assumed they were hacking into the anti-lock brake controller and using the regular service brakes.

(Also... if any Bronco engineer from Ford happens to read this.... us manual transmission people don't get trail turn assist, therefore we should be given the perk of having a cable-driven parking brake. Please and thank you.)
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Bschurr, Sdakotabronco

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

That's a beefy stick surprised not more damage. Which wheel well was it and can you take more pics or is it covered by the fender liner?

Agree that MT owners should get standard ebrake vs electric.

Suggest always pressing the brake pedal before disengaging the ebrake otherwise it might not unlock. If this happens keep cycling with foot on brake pedal until releases. You can auto disengage ebrake automatically just by shifting into gear then moving bronco but I don't suggest doing this more than a handful of times. Always press brake pedal before releasing ebrake or one day it might not release and bronco will NOT move.

I do like having three initial layers to stop my bronco before needing an ebrake (1) pre-collision assist which is a 50/50 option (2) brake pedal (3) manual transmission (4) ebrake.

If emergency, pull (not too hard or lever will break no pun) and HOLD the ebrake lever until fully stopped. See pic

Attachments

2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

Rank III

Jul 01, 2022

I agree it’s a little more than stick. My wife has an attraction to tree limbs in the roadway. It’s usually at night and to late to avoid. 2 years ago she hit another tree limb with our Explorer. Had a stick about the same diameter as this one hanging out of the lower front ground effects. Took out the fog light and bent the A/C heat exchanger. I have attached a few more pics. The limb wedged in between the tire and axle. Put a small groove in the sidewall of the tire.

Attachments

EvlNvrDys, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Jul 01, 2022

Oh wait they're using the parking brake for that?? I just assumed they were hacking into the anti-lock brake controller and using the regular service brakes.

(Also... if any Bronco engineer from Ford happens to read this.... us manual transmission people don't get trail turn assist, therefore we should be given the perk of having a cable-driven parking brake. Please and thank you.)
I am not totally sure but it seems the easiest to use the Parking brake since it is only on the rear wheels. I had heard that the 392 j**p you can add a controller/programmer that can give you trail turn you have to use a certain button on your cruise control. If they can do it for J**p, I am sure someone can program it in for the MT Broncos. Back when I was a Badlands MT res I was just going to use the parking brake and drag the ass end around like we did in the old days before trail turn.
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Gladesmen

Jul 01, 2022

Suggest always pressing the brake pedal before disengaging the ebrake otherwise it might not unlock. If this happens keep cycling with foot on brake pedal until releases. You can auto disengage ebrake automatically just by shifting into gear then moving bronco but I don't suggest doing this more than a handful of times. Always press brake pedal before releasing ebrake or one day it might not release and bronco will NOT move.
Yes you must push the brake pedal to activate the e-parking brake switch at least on my Nox I can not set it or disengage it without pressing the pedal. my ebrake button is finnicky and doesn't disengage every time. I have never had it not work when setting it just disengage. that is how I found out you can just put it in gear and give it some gas and it will auto disengage by accident, my steering wheel was turned and I could not see that the park light on my dash was illuminated.

Rank V

Jul 01, 2022

The pictures make me think that I would worry about that brake hose more than the parking brake parts if you regularly get stuff up in there. Rip out the brake line, and you'll no longer be worrying about your parking brake. there are enough fasteners under there that making up a sheet metal protector for that area should be very possible.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22

Rank III

Jul 01, 2022

Bummer on the stick winning on that. They are down in harm's way so it should be designed to take a good hit.

My main gripe on the e-brake is the goofy little fake cable like switch. You push it to disengage and pull it to engage. That is the opposite of ever F250-350 I have ever owned! Also the location is where a cable one would be, but since its electronic put it on the dash or better yet the over head console. Quicker to reach. I have actually thought about moving the connection to one of the pre-wired switches in the overhead.

@RagnarKon I am with you on the manual cable for us MT trucks!
www.Metaltech4x4.com 21yrs of building high performance off road parts right here in the USA. Its Bronco time!
Sdakotabronco

Gladesmen

Jul 01, 2022

Bummer on the stick winning on that. They are down in harm's way so it should be designed to take a good hit.

My main gripe on the e-brake is the goofy little fake cable like switch. You push it to disengage and pull it to engage. That is the opposite of ever F250-350 I have ever owned! Also the location is where a cable one would be, but since its electronic put it on the dash or better yet the over head console. Quicker to reach. I have actually thought about moving the connection to one of the pre-wired switches in the overhead.

@RagnarKon I am with you on the manual cable for us MT trucks!
I felt the same way too, that it is was backwards, but if you think of it like a sports car handbrake it makes more sense you pull it up to set it and push it down to disengage it. still don't like um but thats how I deal with it.

Rank III

Jul 01, 2022

I felt the same way too, that it is was backwards, but if you think of it like a sports car handbrake it makes more sense you pull it up to set it and push it down to disengage it. still don't like um but thats how I deal with it.

I keep telling myself that but even with 8 months of driving the thing I still at times flip it the wrong way! On a Ford truck pull to release the brake is what I have done since 2000 with my F250. I still have the F250 so its just natural for me.
www.Metaltech4x4.com 21yrs of building high performance off road parts right here in the USA. Its Bronco time!
Jakob1972

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Jul 01, 2022

I agree it’s a little more than stick. My wife has an attraction to tree limbs in the roadway. It’s usually at night and to late to avoid. 2 years ago she hit another tree limb with our Explorer. Had a stick about the same diameter as this one hanging out of the lower front ground effects. Took out the fog light and bent the A/C heat exchanger. I have attached a few more pics. The limb wedged in between the tire and axle. Put a small groove in the sidewall of the tire.
hmmmmm maybe you should get her some skid plates? :cool:
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather

Home, home on the range

Jul 01, 2022

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with ebrake issues! I hate using it. I usually put the Bronco in 1st gear when parking anyway!
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022