New Hampshire Off-Roadeo In-Depth Experience – Part 3 Lessons learned

BuzzyBud
Aug 17, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

In many ways, this is the most difficult section to write. During and after Off-Roadeo, I found myself to be very happy. The analysis of why and distilling those feelings into specific useful statements is never easy. But here goes.

I believe some of us may wish to visit multiple Off-Roadeo locations and that is an admirable goal. For me, I saw value in learning how to drive off-road in a location which closely resembled my future playgrounds. In that regard New Hampshire Off-Roadeo exceeded my expectations. As my experience grows, I will gladly seek to expand my skill set. If you are a newbie like me, I would suggest choosing your location wisely.

Before beginning an important activity, I see value in established specific goals. The goal or goals help to frame your activities. If they are measurable, you can potentially derive great joy when achieved. I had two goals; drive a Bronco like the one on order and determine if off-road driving was a good fit for my mental skills and abilities.

I was able to select a Badlands 4Door with stock tires and a soft top. Speaking for myself, I found the size of a Bronco 4Door to be nimble and extremely maneuverable on tight wooded trails. I do currently drive an F150, and this would be significantly smaller. I realize that observation may be uniquely my own.

One beneficial skill is the ability to sense the Bronco size and its relationship to the surrounding. This is critical on tight wooded trails in New England. As you dodge trees with mere inches to spare, it can be nerve racking if you lack this skill.

Another skill is environmental awareness. The Bronco can literally take you anywhere, but you have an obligation to actively protect it and the environment. Activating your lockers is a classic example. If you are selective in their application, you minimize wear and tear on your Bronco and more importantly prevent ripping up the trail. We travelled on trails which are shared with dirt bikes and hikers. Protecting these trails helps everyone.

Perhaps I have taken too much of your time reading through my Off-Roadeo experience. Feel free to post any questions you may have and I will do my best to help you.

As I bring this post to completion, I have attached a couple more photos for your viewing pleasure. Take care my friends and I look forward to the day we share our adventures behind the wheel of our Broncos.

I want to specifically mention Ramsey, my lead instructor. Without his superb instruction my learning would not have been as successful. Big Thank You!
NH OR 25.jpeg

I think I look very happy in the picture. This could be you. Do not miss this opportunity!
NH OR 20.jpeg
Rootdog, Darrel
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

@buzzy Love all of the write ups! They were really well done.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
TEEDEE, Bronc96

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

Sounds like an amazing experience. I wish these were in more locations, like....I don't know....ANYWHERE in the Midwest? New Hampshire is, by far, the closest for me and that's over 1000 miles away. Guess I'll have to find some fellow Indiana Bronco guys to show me the ropes, because traveling that far just isn't in the cards with a recent promotion and family obligations.
Badlands | Sasquatch | Cyber Orange | 2.7L | Lux | Soft Top
Sven, Bronc96

Rank III

Aug 17, 2021

The wife and I will be attending the New Hampshire one in early October, hopefully the leaf's will have some color so she is happy.
For me it's just to get some time behind the wheel of the new bronco. NEW HAMPSHIRE is the closest looking terrain to what we have here northern Arkansas. I haven't did any 4 wheeling in the last 20 years so it will be learning it all over again in something a whole lot
better then the CJ's and TJ's jeeps I owned back in the 90's. Back then it was go in groups have a good time and don't do anything stupid.
tasker, TK1215

Road trip!!!

Aug 17, 2021

Great write ups @BuzzyBud!

I do have one question for you.

With all of the ups and downs(issues) with the bronco and your completion of the Bronco Off-Roadeo, what is your bronco meter at?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
TK1215, Bronc96

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

Great write ups @BuzzyBud!

I do have one question for you.

With all of the ups and downs(issues) with the bronco and your completion of the Bronco Off-Roadeo, what is your bronco meter at?
Well, if a Bronco meter can only go to 10, I am at a 10! I do not think it is possible to go any higher! ;)
TK1215, Shadowblade

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

Well, if a Bronco meter can only go to 10, I am at a 10! I do not think it is possible to go any higher! ;)
Is that because you drove it? I find that is also another reason people get excited!!!
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
TK1215, Shadowblade

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

Is that because you drove it? I find that is also another reason people get excited!!!

Driving a Bronco is uplifting, but yesterday’s experience was far more. Over the last several weeks I have been test-driving various demo Broncos. I have been getting my hands on as many as possible. Each test drive was paved road limited. A Bronco is great on paved roads, but it transforms into a very special vehicle when you take it off road and you know what you are doing. If you know what you are doing you can push all the right buttons and magic happens. In some cases, you discover first-hand interesting features.

As a case in point, a very popular YouTuber made a statement a few weeks ago regarding the Trail Turn Assist feature. He said it was great for turns at higher speed, but no use at low speed. I found that statement to be puzzling at best. In fact, Trail Turn Assist works perfectly well at very low speeds. I proved that to myself while using the feature on the afternoon trail ride.

Another aspect of what tends to send spirits high is the student mix. We were all excited about being potential Bronco owners. For at least one day, everyone got outside their echo chambers and felt joy.

It does not get any better than that! :)
tlowell01, TK1215

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

Sounds like an amazing experience. I wish these were in more locations, like....I don't know....ANYWHERE in the Midwest? New Hampshire is, by far, the closest for me and that's over 1000 miles away. Guess I'll have to find some fellow Indiana Bronco guys to show me the ropes, because traveling that far just isn't in the cards with a recent promotion and family obligations.

True but unless you've ever experienced Moab I suggest you do. That will be my first choice as I hope for a Midwest location...
Bronco Nation 278
IndianaBroncos on Facebook​
TK1215, KennyMac

Rank IV

Aug 17, 2021

Thank you for your write-up (s), we appreciate it.
TK1215, TEEDEE

Home, home on the range

Aug 17, 2021

Thanks again for a fantastic post!
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
TK1215, TEEDEE

Rank XII

Aug 17, 2021

...As a case in point, a very popular YouTuber made a statement a few weeks ago regarding the Trail Turn Assist feature. He said it was great for turns at higher speed, but no use at low speed. I found that statement to be puzzling at best. In fact, Trail Turn Assist works perfectly well at very low speeds. I proved that to myself while using the feature on the afternoon trail ride.
Another aspect of what tends to send spirits high is the student mix. We were all excited about being potential Bronco owners. For at least one day, everyone got outside their echo chambers and felt joy.
It does not get any better than that! :)
I agree with your befuddlement; trail turn assist is inactive when your speed exceeds 12 mph. Student mix and excitement is right on point too. It's analogous to a hunting / fishing trip with like-minded friends.
Right on @BuzzyBud !
Darrel, TK1215

Rank V

Aug 17, 2021

Busy day, finally caught time to read your posts @BuzzyBud Expectations were high, and as usual, you did not disappoint! I am more excited than ever and super glad I chose NH for my off-roadeo! I have quite a bit of off road driving experience, but still really looking forward to this and excited to give my wife some seat time too!
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Bschurr, TK1215

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

Busy day, finally caught time to read your posts @BuzzyBud Expectations were high, and as usual, you did not disappoint! I am more excited than ever and super glad I chose NH for my off-roadeo! I have quite a bit of off road driving experience, but still really looking forward to this and excited to give my wife some seat time too!

I suspect you will really enjoy the 4-hour trail ride in the afternoon. If the granite ledges are not wet from rain, you will be climbing. Super fun! The one thing you will probably hear a lot is “slow is the way to go”! If you are like me, you will “play” with the stay bar disconnect switch on and off and witness firsthand how your Bronco loves to settle down when it is engaged. Also, look for opportunities to engage trail turn assist. The brake sound can be alarming at first, but it does the job. Finally, is the feature which is very special to the Bronco. The ability to engage only the front locker. Scope out times to use that and you will be amazed.
bdawson24, Hobgoblin

Rank V

Aug 17, 2021

I suspect you will really enjoy the 4-hour trail ride in the afternoon. If the granite ledges are not wet from rain, you will be climbing. Super fun! The one thing you will probably hear a lot is “slow is the way to go”! If you are like me, you will “play” with the stay bar disconnect switch on and off and witness firsthand how your Bronco loves to settle down when it is engaged. Also, look for opportunities to engage trail turn assist. The brake sound can be alarming at first, but it does the job. Finally, is the feature which is very special to the Bronco. The ability to engage only the front locker. Scope out times to use that and you will be amazed.
I can't wait to try it all out! So much more gizmos than I'm used to!
TK1215, Shadowblade

Rank IV

Aug 17, 2021

Great post. I can’t wait. I’m going to NH in October
tasker, KennyMac

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

I can't wait to try it all out! So much more gizmos than I'm used to!

Seeing what you have on order, you might enjoy the one 2Door that should be available. It is a Base Sasquatch in Velocity Blue. It may be difficult to claim. You might enjoy doing what I did. I chose a Badlands (has all the goodies) with stock tires. I wanted to determine if I might scape the body armor. Result? Not once! It taught me how picking a line carefully is the way to go. Not having the trail cam feature in my Off-Roadeo Badlands did make my effort more challenging and in tight areas the instructors would spot the students. But the result was to approach the intellectual component of off-road driving and you will be fine without the Sasquatch package. Just a thought.
TK1215, KennyMac

Rank V

Aug 17, 2021

Excellent contribution as always! I truly appreciate how you convey your experience with true enthusiasm and the right amount of wisdom. You are the consummate Bronco scribe and this community is so fortunate to have you. Many Thanks,
4DR OBX, A51, 2.3L/Auto, Soft Top, High Package, 4.27 Locking Rear Diff, AUX Switches
Reserved: 7/14/20, Ordered: 1/29/21, Built: 9/7/21, Assumed the Reins: 9/14/21
TK1215, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Aug 17, 2021

As always, you did not disappoint Buzzy! Thank you for sharing your experience for all to enjoy. It was the next best thing to being there and certainly aided me in making my final decision to attend the New Hampshire location! :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
TK1215, Shadowblade

Rank V

Aug 18, 2021

Seeing what you have on order, you might enjoy the one 2Door that should be available. It is a Base Sasquatch in Velocity Blue. It may be difficult to claim. You might enjoy doing what I did. I chose a Badlands (has all the goodies) with stock tires. I wanted to determine if I might scape the body armor. Result? Not once! It taught me how picking a line carefully is the way to go. Not having the trail cam feature in my Off-Roadeo Badlands did make my effort more challenging and in tight areas the instructors would spot the students. But the result was to approach the intellectual component of off-road driving and you will be fine without the Sasquatch package. Just a thought.
Thanks, good points. I think I would rather try a non squatch first offroad if possible, but would like to play with the Badlands goodies. I also think I should spend some time in a 2 dr with my wife to make sure the space is as livable as i think it will be. So many variables! The trick to finding picking and following the lines in a new vehicle without the cameras is all about judging the distance between the terrain disappearing under the hood and said memorized terrain reaching the tires. Easy to say, hard to do!
BuzzyBud, TK1215