New Bronco Engine Information

Which engine are you ordering for your Bronco.

• 2.3L Ecoboost I4

Votes: 58 27.5%
  • 2.7L Ecoboost V6

Votes: 153 72.5%

• Total voters

LR48

Rank IV

Advocate III

Nov 13, 2020
Winter Park Fl
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
Member #

Wondering why the V6 has a good deal less towing capacity than the V4? After looking at the specs it’s making me second guess. Especially on the badlands & anything squatched!
Going through the specs the inline I4 and V6 are actually very similar but if you note each model is different and I'm sure that has to do with the base packages. Your vehicle will either be higher or lower based on what equipment you add to the vehicle. Probably not going to tow your 30 foot Airstream behind this but I'm sure there are compatible trailers that will work with towing capacity.

Reactions: TK1215

TEEDEE

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Feb 4, 2021
Morris, Illinois, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Wondering why the V6 has a good deal less towing capacity than the V4? After looking at the specs it’s making me second guess. Especially on the badlands & anything squatched!
I believe the limitation is the overall of the vehicle. The Badlands with the V6 is quite heavy--when compared to the other models. Much of the weight is due to the bash plates and other protection added to the BL. I really think the 2.3 is a really capable engine.
I'll let you know how capable the 2.3 is--My son picked up his new Ranger, yesterday.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I believe the limitation is the overall of the vehicle. The Badlands with the V6 is quite heavy--when compared to the other models. Much of the weight is due to the bash plates and other protection added to the BL. I really think the 2.3 is a really capable engine.
I'll let you know how capable the 2.3 is--My son picked up his new Ranger, yesterday.
Thats not a fair comparison though. You have to test it with a manual box, the auto runs through a converter. The real test is can you put the 7spd in 2rd or 3rd and drive away from a stand still smoothly.

Reactions: Khaos and TK1215

Khaos

Rank IV

Advocate II

May 13, 2021
Kennesaw, Cobb County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Mora
Member #

In my honest opinion I like both engine I drove the 2.3 manual and I was very impressed with the crawl gear I also drove the 2.7 auto and it handled everything the same. I think the 2.3 will be enough power for anyone that's running 35s or even 37s. I had a jku with a 3.5 penstar on and 42s and it did just fine nothing extraordinary. I went with the 2.7 because i would like to have more power because I would eventually go 37s and 40s and want it to be capable

Cliffhanger

Rank II

Advocate III

May 25, 2021
Florida
First Name
christine
Last Name
Fennelle
Oh ok. I’m looking at BL and BD auto with the 2.7

Mharris295

Rank 0

Advocate I

May 31, 2021
Southern NJ
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Harris
Went with the 2.3 after driving a 20 Ranger with that engine and accessing my off road needs. My OBX trim will primarily a beach buggy for off road driving and perhaps some NJ Pine Barrens trails (flat and sandy with some water) The 2k I saved let me move up to that trim level because my Bronco will be my daily driver as well, some niceties will be appreciated every day I leave the driveway. If you live in Southern NJ the 2.3 will get you through that terrain with no problem. So don’t scoff at my choice please if your off-roading matches my lifestyle. If you are not going to crawl a rock you overpaid and over powered your Bronco. Can’t wait to hop in mine and see others out and about soon.

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Supporter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

Went with the 2.3 after driving a 20 Ranger with that engine and accessing my off road needs. My OBX trim will primarily a beach buggy for off road driving and perhaps some NJ Pine Barrens trails (flat and sandy with some water) The 2k I saved let me move up to that trim level because my Bronco will be my daily driver as well, some niceties will be appreciated every day I leave the driveway. If you live in Southern NJ the 2.3 will get you through that terrain with no problem. So don’t scoff at my choice please if your off-roading matches my lifestyle. If you are not going to crawl a rock you overpaid and over powered your Bronco. Can’t wait to hop in mine and see others out and about soon.
No scoffing! Sounds like you thought it out thoroughly to meet your needs. Moving up in trim level is a good added benefit.

Nickswild

Rank 0

Advocate II

May 18, 2021
Nanaimo British Columbia Canada
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Koch
You're absolutely right a diesel option would be super but finding a diesel to fit in the space allotted might be difficult as well as the additional weight, I note that the Jeep diesel adds 400 pound to weight of the vehicle, but it is super efficient and tons of low end torque.
Cummins makes a crate diesel. 2.9l. Same weight as ford small block.

MESTUNTMAN

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jan 26, 2021
Winder, GA, USA
www.mastertechauto.com
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Bolt
"The results were an improvement over “preliminary specs.” The figures also show what we all expected: The Bronco is capable of going toe to toe with the Wrangler in both fuel economy and horsepower."

Just seems like a redirection to me. Horsepower and torque aren't as important as mileage, day to day. Most people aren't using the max horsepower and max torque in their daily commute, on road, or off. Most people won't realize the benefit of the slight improvement in those numbers. What they do see everyday is the dollars that are put into the tank. Wrangler gets, in some cases, 35% better mileage. That translates to 35% money in your pocket when fueling up.

Dusty's "article" is a parlor trick. Hey, look here, at lean angles, not over there where the man behind the curtain is pulling the levers that impact your wallet. Dusty is saying, hey guys, look at these numbers, yeah, over here, and don't pay attention to those day-to-day impactful numbers that are much less than most people expected. I'm tired of people telling me what's important, the marketing highlights. It's all marketing BS.

The V8 argument, the argument for a NA V8 has nothing to do with horsepower and torque.
Well for a guy that thinks he knows whats important, you sure miss the boat on smarts! If you think that the majority of BRONCO potential buyers only give a RAT'S ASS about fuel economy you are dead wrong!
We don't go out to buy a 4x4 to find the cheapest one on gas, I think you would be hard pressed to find a true JEEP owner that would tell you they bought it because of anything to do with it's MPG rating. A true
off road junkie may drive their 4X4 back and forth to work every day maybe. But the real reason most of them own one is because of it's off road performance. Say what you want, but what it looks like to me is
you come out looking like another JEEP owner pissed off because you missed out on getting a BRONCO or just another FORD hater!

• Wow
Reactions: LR48 and TK1215

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Anything I've ever been involved with, fuel consumption was a consideration. Boats, Aircraft, Snowmobiles,Dirtbikes ,especially aircraft because when the engine becomes unstarted you might have a problem.

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Well for a guy that thinks he knows whats important, you sure miss the boat on smarts! If you think that the majority of BRONCO potential buyers only give a RAT'S ASS about fuel economy you are dead wrong!
We don't go out to buy a 4x4 to find the cheapest one on gas, I think you would be hard pressed to find a true JEEP owner that would tell you they bought it because of anything to do with it's MPG rating. A true
off road junkie may drive their 4X4 back and forth to work every day maybe. But the real reason most of them own one is because of it's off road performance. Say what you want, but what it looks like to me is
you come out looking like another JEEP owner pissed off because you missed out on getting a BRONCO or just another FORD hater!
It would be interesting to see how many are being bought for commuters.

Nickswild

Rank 0

Advocate II

May 18, 2021
Nanaimo British Columbia Canada
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Koch
Anything I've ever been involved with, fuel consumption was a consideration. Boats, Aircraft, Snowmobiles,Dirtbikes ,especially aircraft because when the engine becomes unstarted you might have a problem.
I get what you’re saying. what Type of flying were you doing? I mean if your going from A to B it’s very important, but if your heading to a practice area to do aerobatics. Not so much. the difference between commuting and wheeling sorta relates I guess.

my bronco will be my daily driver but I also have a f350 diesel and a golf gti. Neither of which I really keep track of mileage, Except the gti keeps track for me. both are comparable to other vehicles in their class. And till you spool up the turbos both get decent mileage. my wife drives the gti mostly and has a lead foot... her mileage and mine are quite different.

Im pretty sure ford(like most auto manufacturer) did the bronco mileage test with the smallest tire offered and with a driver who was trying for best mileage. real life driving is quite different. electric vehicles suffer the same quandary... simple physics like a previous post said. energy in= energy out.

As a professional pilot I kinda feel guilty now for not knowing mileage... don’t tell anyone!

Reactions: KennyMac and LR48

mjtermini

Rank III

Advocate II

Apr 27, 2021
8848 First Tee Road, Port Saint Lucie, Florida
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Termini
Member #

Thanks for the explanation, I really was curious.

I plan on keeping mine for the duration too. I'm 100% sure this will be my last vehicle with a MT and most likely an ICE. The winds are blowing electric.

I'm less worried about mechanical components. They might be expensive to replace, but they'll be available. I see the electronics as the bigger worry. How long is Ford going to support the software that controls most every aspect of the car? If the infotainment processor goes out in 15 years, will Ford have enough stock to replace it? Same thing with ECU. The obsolescence of electronic components happens way sooner than mechanical parts!

Of course, I say that and am getting the Lux package for the tech/creature/safety features that are all powered by those same electronic components. :unsure::unsure::unsure:
When you think about an all electric vehicle, remember that if kids can hack the Pentagon, they can hack your electric vehicle. Chrysler/Dodge learned that early on. Remember, too, that the energy that comes out of the plug/outlet in your garage was generated by natural gas, coal, and nuclear sources primarily. Wind and solar are only 2-8% combined of the energy sources. And then there is the question of what to do with the battery pack once it reaches the end of life. Recycle - nope? Replace - nope too expensive. So for my money, give me the old internal combustion engine with low emissions, proven technology base, and an existing global infrastructure.