New 1968 Bronco Sport owner

Mikeb24
Jul 14, 2021

Rank 0

Jul 14, 2021

Requesting advice on what I should fix first to make care functional. I’m pretty green when it comes to being mechanically savvy. So I’m probably going to get the more difficult things done by a shop specializing in early Broncos. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Bell7613, benjaminkrawiec
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2021

Home, home on the range

Jul 14, 2021

It's beautiful but definitely showing her age. I am no expert on restoration but my dad always told me to make sure to start from the bottom and work your way up. Post pics of your progress please!!
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Mikeb24

Rank V

Jul 14, 2021

Roll cage, rebuild brakes, rebuild steering, lap and shoulder belts.................that's the safety stuff, everything after that is icing on the cake lol.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Mikeb24

Home, home on the range

Jul 14, 2021

Roll cage, rebuild brakes, rebuild steering, lap and shoulder belts.................that's the safety stuff, everything after that is icing on the cake lol.
Maybe the driver side floor? I mean if you're going for safety......:cool:
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Cooknn, Steve777468

Rank 0

Jul 14, 2021

Congratulation!
Easiest part is the mechanical, then the bodywork and finally the time an money to finish. Lol!
Seriously, welcome to EB ownership. It’s a blast!
Another great knowledge resource for EBs is classicbroncos.com.

Rank V

Jul 14, 2021

Maybe the driver side floor? I mean if you're going for safety......:cool:

Nah, that's way down the list, feet are on the pedals most of the time lol.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
Deano Bronc, Sdakotabronco

Rank III

Jul 14, 2021

Bottom up, yes. Make sure all electrical is in good order, in this case I would start with a new wiring harness. then tackle the Brakes, Trans, Motor, running gear and mounts. Before you even think about driving it regularly. Once that's done get on the body panels and floor panels.
2016 F-150 2022 Bronco
Mikeb24

Rank 0

Jul 15, 2021

I had a better look at the pictures. Humbly and honestly with no disrespect, that bronco has been bastardized. From the electrical box in he engine bay to the the suspension; I really hope you didn’t pay a lot for it.

Rank 0

Jul 15, 2021

What’s a lot? : (

Rank V

Jul 15, 2021

What’s a lot? : (
The vast majority of unrestored broncos that were actually used and driven will be in the same shape as your 68' or worse. There weren't a dozen bronco venders on the web to click and buy parts from. Used parts got swapped, some parts simply got removed, and some parts were just left on and neglected. Repair, drive and enjoy!
Deano Bronc, Mikeb24

Rank 0

Jul 15, 2021

What do you think it worth as it stands?

Rank V

Jul 15, 2021

What do you think it worth as it stands?

I don't even try to appraise them anymore. BAT, CL, FB Market Place, Ebay, FSBO will all bring different prices as will the other auction sites. Just depends on the day, the mood and who happens to want it that day. Prices have changed so much since I got into broncos decades ago, part of me is still stuck in the "buy an uncut original survivor for $4k" mode lol.
Mikeb24

Rank 0

Jul 15, 2021

Hey Mike. I was trying to figure out the worth too. When I said “I hope you didn’t pay too much”, I really meant I hope you have the means to fix… There is a lot of value in your Bronco to be unlocked. The past few years EB value has skyrocketed.
Skeeter225, Bronco V-8

Rank III

Jul 16, 2021

Hey Mike. I was trying to figure out the worth too. When I said “I hope you didn’t pay too much”, I really meant I hope you have the means to fix… There is a lot of value in your Bronco to be unlocked. The past few years EB value has skyrocketed.

He's right, if you restore the bronco, then it doesn't matter what you paid. EB today have skyrocketed in price and one like your might still sell for $8K to the right buyer, But if your plans are to just drive it, then do all the things I listed above. Last thing you want is to be towed home cause you didn't complete apart of the repairs. I sill would get the body and frame off to sandblast to make sure every things okay. in the long run its worth the effort to do it. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but honestly all EB are a bunch of work, that really is what makes it fun owning one. Every thing is straight forward to do. If you have some mechanical knowledge it makes it that much easier. Oh BTW if you do remove the body and get it sandblasted, don't be surprised how much damage it really holds.
2016 F-150 2022 Bronco
Sdakotabronco, Mikeb24

Rank V

Jul 18, 2021

Tackle the rust first.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 18, 2021

Soda blast. sand is for the beach.

Rank V

Jul 18, 2021

I'm from a totally different camp I guess. He said "fix first" not restore. I can't tell you how many first time bronco owners buy their bronco, tear it down beyond drivable and it just sits for years due to life, schedule, finances, etc and they finally throw in the towel. In the end they lose money if the have to sell it as a pieced out project or if the have to load it all up and take it to have completed it costs 3x or more what the bought it for.

All I can say is if you plan to fully restore.......be sure you're mechanically capable......have way more $$$ than what you think it will cost.....be prepared for one issue leading to another issue and then another......make sure have the time and facility to do the work.

I see incomplete restorations for sale on the web almost weekly. Mike fix what you can but keep it drivable. If it's down for a couple week for a repair, no big deal. Once the body is lose from the frame, it turns into a whole new ball game.
Deano Bronc

Rank III

Jul 18, 2021

I'm from a totally different camp I guess. He said "fix first" not restore. I can't tell you how many first time bronco owners buy their bronco, tear it down beyond drivable and it just sits for years due to life, schedule, finances, etc and they finally throw in the towel. In the end they lose money if the have to sell it as a pieced out project or if the have to load it all up and take it to have completed it costs 3x or more what the bought it for.

All I can say is if you plan to fully restore.......be sure you're mechanically capable......have way more $$$ than what you think it will cost.....be prepared for one issue leading to another issue and then another......make sure have the time and facility to do the work.

I see incomplete restorations for sale on the web almost weekly. Mike fix what you can but keep it drivable. If it's down for a couple week for a repair, no big deal. Once the body is lose from the frame, it turns into a whole new ball game.

Problem is the body is not road worthy as is, so why not do it right once and be done. I've owned EB's for more than 20 yrs. can can tell you that the biggest mistake is people wanting to put them on the road before they are ready to do so. Even if you just fix the mechanical and electrical that's gonna help, but if they body is not sound then they are in for a world of hurt, I've seen body mounts rusted completely off and they body just hung on at one or two points. Floor pans A & B pillars are a must to know about rust along with around the windshield hinges. But again this is me, if you feel it's road worthy then do what you need to, I'm more on the side of saving all you can and do it right once!!
2016 F-150 2022 Bronco

Rank V

Jul 18, 2021

Problem is the body is not road worthy as is, so why not do it right once and be done. I've owned EB's for more than 20 yrs. can can tell you that the biggest mistake is people wanting to put them on the road before they are ready to do so. Even if you just fix the mechanical and electrical that's gonna help, but if they body is not sound then they are in for a world of hurt, I've seen body mounts rusted completely off and they body just hung on at one or two points. Floor pans A & B pillars are a must to know about rust along with around the windshield hinges. But again this is me, if you feel it's road worthy then do what you need to, I'm more on the side of saving all you can and do it right once!!

Rusted out floor pans doesn't mean the body is toast lol. I've got 10 years on your 20 years, which means nothing. Replace the rot. If it's all rotted, replace it all, if it's not, don't, simple. I've got a 66 u15 in my shop right now with the front floor pans cut out and the rear bed pan as well. The original owner bolted a piece of plywood to the bed years ago and had cheap carpet in the floor pans. That all rusted out of course. The pillars, kick panels, inner and outer rockers are almost pristine still, frame is as well. Doors still close perfectly. There is zero need to pull the body for something like that. The body doesn't need to be removed to repair a windshield hinge or A and B pillars either.
Skeeter225

Rank III

Jul 19, 2021

Rusted out floor pans doesn't mean the body is toast lol. I've got 10 years on your 20 years, which means nothing. Replace the rot. If it's all rotted, replace it all, if it's not, don't, simple. I've got a 66 u15 in my shop right now with the front floor pans cut out and the rear bed pan as well. The original owner bolted a piece of plywood to the bed years ago and had cheap carpet in the floor pans. That all rusted out of course. The pillars, kick panels, inner and outer rockers are almost pristine still, frame is as well. Doors still close perfectly. There is zero need to pull the body for something like that. The body doesn't need to be removed to repair a windshield hinge or A and B pillars either.
From this picture look like A pillar has a fair amount of rust and so does the Outter Rocker 1626725111061.png Now that not to say it just not surface rust but it sure doesn't look like it. But again without better pictures I'm guessing.
2016 F-150 2022 Bronco