My recent experience at the Moab Bronco Off-rodeo

byronpete21
Oct 01, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2021

This is my first attempt at writing a review of an experience like this, so apologies in advance if it is a little rough. I attended the Moab Off-Rodeo on the 29th of September. It was the day after a rather large thunderstorm, so from the beginning I new it would be a fun and muddy adventure.
The check-in process was very smooth, and there was plenty of time to peruse the merchandise. We received our yeti water bottle with name tags, and unlike some previous posts, only one sticker was attached. Turns out any additional stickers could be earned by answering trivia questions throughout the day. On a small side note, a bronco wrist band was attached to all the folks different colors noted whether you were allowed to drive or not. I only bring this up because the bands are designed to not be easily removable. They will tighten, but not loosen. One of the members of our team found this out the hard way as she had to have hers cut off to restore the circulation to her hand after she accidentally tightened it a little too much.
Once we were all checked in, there was a little bit of introduction time, everyone got to put a pin in a map to show where they were from. We were then divided into groups and were introduced to our Broncos. Unfortunately no 2 doors at this location, they did have however several Badlands, one Outer banks, and a bunch of Black Diamond Sasquatch editions. It was recommended by our guides Kelly and Joe, that the Badlands on the 33 inch tires were a bit more fun (had to pick better lines) than the Sasquatch ones that would pretty much just clear everything on the trail.
Wasn't long until we were in our vehicles and following a quick inspection and some paperwork (damage waiver stuff) we were on our way to the trail. A quick side note, they were really only concerned about major body damage and windshield damage. Scraping rocks with the rock rails and skid plates was in some cases unavoidable, and in other cases encouraged.
The drive to the trail was on highway so I got me first taste of the on road manners of the new Bronco. Have to say I was not disappointed. The ride was very nice and handling was good especially considering that the tires were aired down already for the trail.
Once at the trail we spent a little bit of time talking about recovery and preparedness, as well at trail safety and etiquette. This served a few purposes, one it was very informative, and two, it allowed some time for the group ahead of us to clear the first set of obstacles so we didn't bunch up on the trail.
After this initial lecture it was onto the trail with the guides sharing tips and wisdom over the walkie-talkies as we drove.
For the entire morning portion we drove, stopped only to survey some of the bigger obstacles, then kept driving. We did everything in the morning with no driver assists, and in normal mode with lockers basically optional. In fact we were encouraged to try certain things without lockers to show the importance of momentum and just being smooth.
We stopped for a brief lunch at an amazing lookout, but unfortunately one of the guides who shall remain nameless ate all the cookies before I could get one. Should have had desert first.
After lunch was more obstacles, more driving, and we started to play with some of the assist features. The one pedal and trail control stuff is basically cheating. I was very impressed with what these stock vehicles could do, and by the end of the day I was already planning my next adventure and figuring out ways I could become a better off-roader.
The day wrapped up at a beautiful arch, then it was time to head back to base camp for a delicious dinner and then some s'mores by the fire pit. I highly recommend hanging out at the fire afterwards, a great time to reflect on the day, get some grief on your driving from everyone, and just make some new friends.
Some final takeaways.
1. You will drive a lot, so if you are worried that this will be 2 hours of talking followed by 5 minutes of driving, don't be
2. If you go by yourself, you will most likely be able to ride with one of the guides. I had a blast riding along with Kelly, he has an amazing amount of knowledge to share, and is just a great person to spend a day on the trail with. Also if you end up in the lead Bronco you will be carrying the water cooler so I hope you like the sound of sloshing ice water.
3. If you can go in the cooler weather I think you will have a better experience, we had amazing weather with temps in the 70's, but a week earlier it was almost 100 degrees on the trail.
4. Drink lots of water, the Yeti bottles they give you are amazing. I also think that buying a Bronco may be the cheapest way to get a Yeti water bottle.
5. I love the Area-51 color, so happy that I ordered it.
6. The stabilizer bar disconnect is a game changer for both obstacle clearance, and just basic comfort. In fact 3 people in our group are changing their orders to the Badlands edition for that feature alone.
I think that is about it, feel free to post any questions and I will do my best to answer them. I also made a short video with some drone footage I took. Hope you enjoy, added some music for interest but you are more than welcome to mute the audio. Hope to see some of you on the trail in the future.
Moab Off-rodeo drone video
I will also add a few pics from the day.tempImagegnJpta.pngtempImageyzscxb.png
tempImagerzP0Pn.png
AKCin, drtabick
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 01, 2021

Road trip!!!

Oct 01, 2021

Nice review!

What do you have for a drone?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
TK1215

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 01, 2021

Great write up! I love the drone shots and have been tempted getting one the last few years. Moab looks awesome!
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
TK1215

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2021

Nice review!

What do you have for a drone?
It is a Skydio-2. Still learning to fly it. Some of the auto modes sort of make it look like I know what I am doing.
JoergH, TK1215

Rank V

Oct 01, 2021

Great review and footage. I'm definitely going back here once I take delivery.
4 Door | Soft Top | Black Diamond | Cactus Gray | 2.7 | Mid | Tow | Squatch
TK1215

Bronco guy doing Bronco-ey things with his Bronco

Oct 01, 2021

I ate one cookie.... I just know how to prioritize my meals!
First Edition 4dr
1967 Bronco
1993 Mustang Notchback
drtabick, TK1215

No Ragerts

Oct 01, 2021

Nice review, great pics & sweet video - you nailed it @byronpete21
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
TK1215

Life is a Highway

Oct 02, 2021

This is my first attempt at writing a review of an experience like this, so apologies in advance if it is a little rough. I attended the Moab Off-Rodeo on the 29th of September. It was the day after a rather large thunderstorm, so from the beginning I new it would be a fun and muddy adventure.
The check-in process was very smooth, and there was plenty of time to peruse the merchandise. We received our yeti water bottle with name tags, and unlike some previous posts, only one sticker was attached. Turns out any additional stickers could be earned by answering trivia questions throughout the day. On a small side note, a bronco wrist band was attached to all the folks different colors noted whether you were allowed to drive or not. I only bring this up because the bands are designed to not be easily removable. They will tighten, but not loosen. One of the members of our team found this out the hard way as she had to have hers cut off to restore the circulation to her hand after she accidentally tightened it a little too much.
Once we were all checked in, there was a little bit of introduction time, everyone got to put a pin in a map to show where they were from. We were then divided into groups and were introduced to our Broncos. Unfortunately no 2 doors at this location, they did have however several Badlands, one Outer banks, and a bunch of Black Diamond Sasquatch editions. It was recommended by our guides Kelly and Joe, that the Badlands on the 33 inch tires were a bit more fun (had to pick better lines) than the Sasquatch ones that would pretty much just clear everything on the trail.
Wasn't long until we were in our vehicles and following a quick inspection and some paperwork (damage waiver stuff) we were on our way to the trail. A quick side note, they were really only concerned about major body damage and windshield damage. Scraping rocks with the rock rails and skid plates was in some cases unavoidable, and in other cases encouraged.
The drive to the trail was on highway so I got me first taste of the on road manners of the new Bronco. Have to say I was not disappointed. The ride was very nice and handling was good especially considering that the tires were aired down already for the trail.
Once at the trail we spent a little bit of time talking about recovery and preparedness, as well at trail safety and etiquette. This served a few purposes, one it was very informative, and two, it allowed some time for the group ahead of us to clear the first set of obstacles so we didn't bunch up on the trail.
After this initial lecture it was onto the trail with the guides sharing tips and wisdom over the walkie-talkies as we drove.
For the entire morning portion we drove, stopped only to survey some of the bigger obstacles, then kept driving. We did everything in the morning with no driver assists, and in normal mode with lockers basically optional. In fact we were encouraged to try certain things without lockers to show the importance of momentum and just being smooth.
We stopped for a brief lunch at an amazing lookout, but unfortunately one of the guides who shall remain nameless ate all the cookies before I could get one. Should have had desert first.
After lunch was more obstacles, more driving, and we started to play with some of the assist features. The one pedal and trail control stuff is basically cheating. I was very impressed with what these stock vehicles could do, and by the end of the day I was already planning my next adventure and figuring out ways I could become a better off-roader.
The day wrapped up at a beautiful arch, then it was time to head back to base camp for a delicious dinner and then some s'mores by the fire pit. I highly recommend hanging out at the fire afterwards, a great time to reflect on the day, get some grief on your driving from everyone, and just make some new friends.
Some final takeaways.
1. You will drive a lot, so if you are worried that this will be 2 hours of talking followed by 5 minutes of driving, don't be
2. If you go by yourself, you will most likely be able to ride with one of the guides. I had a blast riding along with Kelly, he has an amazing amount of knowledge to share, and is just a great person to spend a day on the trail with. Also if you end up in the lead Bronco you will be carrying the water cooler so I hope you like the sound of sloshing ice water.
3. If you can go in the cooler weather I think you will have a better experience, we had amazing weather with temps in the 70's, but a week earlier it was almost 100 degrees on the trail.
4. Drink lots of water, the Yeti bottles they give you are amazing. I also think that buying a Bronco may be the cheapest way to get a Yeti water bottle.
6. The stabilizer bar disconnect is a game changer for both obstacle clearance, and just basic comfort. In fact 3 people in our group are changing their orders to the Badlands edition for that feature alone.
I think that is about it, feel free to post any questions and I will do my best to answer them. I also made a short video with some drone footage I took. Hope you enjoy, added some music for interest but you are more than welcome to mute the audio. Hope to see some of you on the trail in the future.
I will also add a few pics from the day.View attachment 19010View attachment 19013
View attachment 19012
Excellent job! Review and video were great. Its amazing that while I know the Bronco doesn’t have the most articulation in its class, it’s articulation is crazy good for stock! That just shows you how far all of the manufacturers have come in upping the off road game straight from the factory. That is a good thing for all off road enthusiasts! I wonder what they will do next? Can’t wait to see the Bronco Raptors specs and capabilities.
smrpilot, Bschurr

Rank VI

Oct 02, 2021

Thank you all for the kind words. Now the hard part is waiting until next year to take delivery of my Bronco.
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank V

Oct 02, 2021

Thanks for the review. I am leaning towards the MOAB adventure.
~Danno
Bronco Nation# 212
First Edition, 2-Dr, Lightning Blue, Blk Seats, Tow Package (Res: 7/13)
TK1215

Rank VI

Oct 02, 2021

Thanks for the review. I am leaning towards the MOAB adventure.
It's hard to beat Moab, so much other fun to be had in the area as well.
TK1215, D190065

Rank V

Oct 06, 2021

Great video and run down from your day. Thanks for sharing! My husband and I are going next Friday...cannot wait and my dealer just called me yesterday with the news that my 4DR, Black Diamond was delivered early..hoping to pick it up this weekend.
k@p

2021|Black Diamond | Cactus Grey | Manual Transmission | Soft Top (No Regrets) | Reserved 7/14/2020 | Delivered 10/8/2021
WeakNinja

Rank VI

Oct 06, 2021

Great video and run down from your day. Thanks for sharing! My husband and I are going next Friday...cannot wait and my dealer just called me yesterday with the news that my 4DR, Black Diamond was delivered early..hoping to pick it up this weekend.
You guys will have an amazing time, and congratulations on getting your Bronco. Have a feeling you will love it.

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Oct 07, 2021

Great review! I was just there on 10/3, and I agree with everything you said. Except for the dinner. It was kind of mediocre. Maybe I'm spoiled on good Mexican food, but this was just OK. Also, a lot of people din't hang around for dinner, much less for the campfire. But those of us who did had a great time. I too was one of the few who was along, the rest had at least one other person, so I also got to ride with the trail guide, Dave. Dave was great, and it was fun talking with him. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who has bought a Bronco. Learning about the abilities of this vehicle was fantastic. I also can't recommend Moab enough. It's the only Offrodeo that uses a trail on public land. the rest have built a closed course. This trail probably had a bit more technical parts than the ones that were custom built. At least that's what I have heard. The are is also VERY fun with a lot of other things to do. BTW, I also loved staying at Red Cliffs Lodge. The place is great, and it's RIGHT next to the Offrodeo HQ. IMG_3725.jpegIMG_3727.jpegIMG_3731.jpegIMG_3743.jpegIMG_3751.jpegIMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_3764.jpeg
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
WeakNinja, IL21Bronco

Rank VI

Oct 07, 2021

Great review! I was just there on 10/3, and I agree with everything you said. Except for the dinner. It was kind of mediocre. Maybe I'm spoiled on good Mexican food, but this was just OK. Also, a lot of people din't hang around for dinner, much less for the campfire. But those of us who did had a great time. I too was one of the few who was along, the rest had at least one other person, so I also got to ride with the trail guide, Dave. Dave was great, and it was fun talking with him. I highly recommend this experience to anyone who has bought a Bronco. Learning about the abilities of this vehicle was fantastic. I also can't recommend Moab enough. It's the only Offrodeo that uses a trail on public land. the rest have built a closed course. This trail probably had a bit more technical parts than the ones that were custom built. At least that's what I have heard. The are is also VERY fun with a lot of other things to do. BTW, I also loved staying at Red Cliffs Lodge. The place is great, and it's RIGHT next to the Offrodeo HQ. View attachment 19290View attachment 19291View attachment 19292View attachment 19293View attachment 19294View attachment 19295

View attachment 19297
Full disclosure, I was very hungry by the time dinner rolled around so I would have been pretty satisfied with anything. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
the poacher

Rank III

Oct 07, 2021

Some final takeaways.
I will also add a few pics from the day.View attachment 19010View attachment 19013
View attachment 19012
Thanks for sharing your experience. My wife and I are going the weekend before Thanksgiving. We got our Bronco a few weeks ago and loving it.
CaliKAP, SquatchOrBust

Rank IV

Oct 07, 2021

My wife and I were there and the temperature was 102 and the Bronco took the heat no problem! Moab was awesome and we had a blast. Learned a lot about the Bronco and my option Ford knocked it out of the park with this truck. Can't wait till I get mine in 22.
CaliKAP, SquatchOrBust

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Oct 07, 2021

Thank you Byron and Joe for your reviews, I am booked next month, Nov. 10th for the Moab off-roadeo. After reading both of your reviews, it has definitely raised my excitement level for going and experiencing. I too am staying at the Red Rock Lodge and can't wait. Kind of like a kid at Christmas!
As I don't have a Bronco yet, ordered, but who knows when I will get it, this will be my first time actually seeing one, let alone driving one. I am bringing a friend along to drive as well, and since he owns a Jeep Rubicon, I am very much looking forward to his thoughts.
My fingers are crossed that i pours rain the day before our day in Moab...
JoergH, CaliKAP

Life is a Highway

Oct 17, 2021

So my daughter and I drove up to Moab for Off Roadeo this week on 10/13. I highly recommended staying at the host facility, the Red Cliffs Lodge. All the previous posters got it right that this is a tremendous experience in a spectacular location. It snowed and rained on the drive up and it was cloudy and cold that morning. Perfect weather for our adventure! We were lucky to get a Badlands with the Sasquatch package and I gotta say it was impressive. My daughter who takes her Tacoma off road advised me that it was gonna be hard but that we probably wouldn’t do anything to hard. I laughed to myself because I knew what to expect. Needless to say both she and I were blown away at what we got to experience. A great day for everyone. Our trail guide, Scott was awesome and the staff was top notch! A shout out to @TorgSurv. Blake you run a great crew and it was a pleasure to finally meet you. All of the various Broncos in whatever trim worked flawlessly and were more than up to the task. I can’t recommend this location enough.

Attachments

Deano Bronc