Ford Dealers

SlashRacer
Jul 08, 2020

Road trip!!!

Jul 08, 2020

I called 3 area Ford dealers today to discuss where they would be pricing the new Bronco in regards to MSRP. My goal was to find out if any of them were willing to deal or if they were going to price gouge.

One of them guaranteed MSRP. The other 2 told me they were having meetings today and discussing the pricing for it. Those 2 are supposed to call me back.

What have you found for how they will be pricing the new Bronco?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 08, 2020

Rank V

Jul 08, 2020

85% of my area's buyers are eligible for 1 of 4 "plan" prices. If no plan then nothing over MSRP , also depending on availability of product. Do not expect a large margin of mark up in any new vehicles anymore, just isn't happening.
Bronco63301

Road trip!!!

Jul 08, 2020

I called 3 area Ford dealers today to discuss where they would be pricing the new Bronco in regards to MSRP. My goal was to find out if any of them were willing to deal or if they were going to price gouge.

One of them guaranteed MSRP. The other 2 told me they were having meetings today and discussing the pricing for it. Those 2 are supposed to call me back.

I heard back from the other 2 Ford dealers. Was told it would probably be the price from Ford from the build.

It’s a new vehicle and untested by consumers. I'm thinking if Ford wants to draw some of the Jeep customers, there should be some kind of incentive. Unless they are planning on the Bronco name selling itself.

Rank III

Jul 08, 2020

85% of my area's buyers are eligible for 1 of 4 "plan" prices. If no plan then nothing over MSRP , also depending on availability of product. Do not expect a large margin of mark up in any new vehicles anymore, just isn't happening.
The margins on new cars/trucks is way thinner than most people realize. The dealers will not be getting rich at MSRP.
jinskeep

Rank I

Jul 11, 2020

The closest dealership wouldn’t answer my MSRP question. The next closest said ”I'm not sure of the pricing on them yet but I'm sure we will yes”. I’ll be calling a third dealership today.
SlashRacer

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 11, 2020

One didn't know a thing about it.Tried to sell me an Edge.

The other said they didn't have pricing yet.

Standing Grumpy Face

Jul 11, 2020

Unless you are ordering plan on pretty much every dealer ordered Bronco to be fully decked out. They won't be ordering base models for the lot for a while. And pricing is going to depend on the dealer. Small mom and pop local dealers are not going to deal much off of MSRP. And many will probably have ADM. It's the high volume dealers that are going to deal. They worry more about units moved than mark-up.
Rincon, SlashRacer

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

Hello all. Been at the same Ford dealer for 26-years. We do not have any pricing yet, and really do not know what the spread between invoice and MSRP will be. The other issue is, we have no idea on the allocation amount we will be given. So the reservation deal is set up to pay $100 and reserve the option to make an order. From what I understand, when you go into the system to do this, you can at that point choose the dealer you would like it to route through, and then the dealer will contact the customer to continue on the path for ordering options and pricing, and be able to cancel if need be and obtain your $100 back, say if you do not like the pricing. I thought it was indicated that these reservations will take precedent over dealer stock at the start of the roll out. Will that effect the amount of allocations for stock......probably depends on how many people follow through with the order past the reservation. The Sport is going to be the first one to get released, and more than likely will not garner that much of the reservation process. It may be awhile....next year....before we see the big boy Bronco's.

Not sure I would agree with every dealer decking out a Bronco. Sometimes on the start you like to hook one up for eye candy to draw attention on the lot, but it is really smarter to order what fits the financial market area of where you sell from, and that is not always tilting one with every option in the book (been ordering vehicles with Ford for 20+ years).

So calling and trying to lock down pricing is really early in the game. Let the dealers get the information before they can even formulate their pricing strategy. It will be different between dealers as it always is, but a couple of posters are correct, the margin between dealer invoice and MSRP has been so squeezed down, there is not that much profit between them. I am guessing the Bronco will follow this trend.
4RD, Thehime

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

Hi all, I am a Bronco enthusiast and a Dealership employee
I have been a Ford Bronco owner since 1981 when I bought my first new Bronco from the dealership I am now the General Sales Manger at and have worked here for 31 years.
I currently own 4 first generation Broncos and have probably had over a dozen in the last 39 years.
The best way to get a new Bronco is to go to online next week do a reservation and pick a dealership at that time that you either have a relationship with or that you want to do business with. Don't be as worried about the discount or price this early in the game, (we don't even know those things) most dealers will sell for MSRP and some may allow a discount to "loyal customers" (but realize the markup at MSRP is not much nowadays, typical mark up is 2% from invoice to MSRP)
Think about it for a second, if your in business for yourself would you want to operate on a 2% margin? and you will probably pay the state between 6-8% in sales tax (that's 3-4 times what the dealer is making)
Most dealers are good business people that give back to the community and support a lot of employees and their family's
if you want a "Good Deal" on a new Bronco, go down to the dealer you have done repeat business with and bought all your cars and service from and I am sure they will do the best they can to make it work for you, if the vehicle does not sell like Ford and everyone thinks it will the manufacturer will incentivize it will rebates and promotions, if it does sell like we all believe it will, it will be like the Raptor F-150 and will stay at MSRP with no discount or factory incentives (we sell our Raptors for MSRP and make a little money, as we should).
Good luck and hope everyone enjoys the new Bronco when it arrives in the spring of 2021.
ZWSMITH, SlashRacer

Road trip!!!

Jul 11, 2020

I went into one of the local Ford dealerships today and spoke with the sales manager about pricing. He would not guarantee me msrp on the pricing. He explained to me that when the GT 500 came out, ever dealership was allotted 1. The one they ordered happened to be the only carbon option(not sure what that is) in Michigan and they sold it for $25,000 over msrp. They based their prices on the market.

I told the sales manager that I bought a Raptor from them in 2010. If when the pricing comes out and they are above msrp, I will move my reservation to another dealership. I read somewhere that all we have to do is call Ford and they will swap dealerships for our reserve.

I will get what I want for what I’m willing to pay. There are LOTS of Ford dealerships out there. Some are willing to deal.

Standing Grumpy Face

Jul 11, 2020

Many dealers are opportunists. They take advantage of the uneducated consumer and those who have to have it yesterday. Gave this example before.

When the Gladiator first started hitting dealers many were marking them up $10-$20k over MSRP. One particular dealer I contacted said they were selling over MSRP because it was a limited edition. Proof right there that many sales people are uninformed or just flat out thieves. How could you sit there and tell a customer that a regular production vehicle was limited edition and justify ADM on it.

If you think it's going to be any different with the Bronco you are in for a rude awakening. It's going to be worse than it was with the Gladiator.

Now I will say this. This isn't the case with all dealers. But guarantee you will see many Broncos on the lots with that little supplemental ADM price sticker saying adjusted for market value or something along those lines.
SlashRacer

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

You should not have any problem getting one for MSRP, and I believe most dealers won't charge over MSRP.
I am sure there are sales staff around the country that this early on don't have enough information yet to tell you what the market will be. But assume MSRP, if your local dealer won't do that then by all means move on there are over 3,000 dealers out there. I for one don't like to charge a premium on anything above MSRP, of course there are models with extremely low production that the market is above MSRP (and many more that the market is significantly below MSRP)
There will be enough Broncos built that MSRP should be the maximum transaction price and at some point once supply on the ground is built up you may be able to get a discount, but don't expect a $5000 or $10,000 discount like you can get on Expeditions or similar vehicles.

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

The GT500 is a different animal.....The Bronco will not be in this category of a small production run. Ford is creating a separate brand to take on Jeep. They are looking at it as a profit making arm of the company, much like Jeep is for FCA. So this vehicle will be produced at some point with higher numbers of production. The Carbon Fiber option on the GT500 (called the Golden Ticket) was selling for large prices over MSRP....is was a desired product with small numbers for sale. The Raptor was limited in numbers as well, and pretty much sold at MSRP for each year. As a smaller dealer, we were usually only able to get 1-2 per year.

So onto the Bronco. There are 2 groups of people when a new vehicle hits with this kind of buzz. The 10% that will buy at MSRP price, because frankly they can, have alot of money, and they just want to be one of the first peeps to have it on the road. The other 90% come in and say they want it, but when the sh*t hits the fan and it is time to commit.......crickets :) This lasts a short term, and then it all settles down to normal sales. This will be no different than what you see with Jeep sales/pricing after the first phase Bronco buzz wears off. Everybody is on the ether right now, which is awesome. I get some goosebumps looking at the teaser photos, and after 26-years I have been beaten down in the business as vehicles are 4 wheels and some different paint colors.......the Bronco is something exciting and different.

It is premature to get cranked up about dealers not willing to deal......we do not even have any info yet, order guides, pricing, how much product we can expect, and the 2-door and 4-door models which is 75% plus of the buzz, we may not see until March or beyond in 2021. Take a deep breath, watch the reveal and all of the info on Monday evening, and place a $100 reservation with a dealer of your choice and get ready to work with them on pricing. If you do not like it, like you said, there are other Ford dealers to work with :)
jinskeep, Beachbum

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

Of course there are opportunists out there, they are everywhere.
I'm in the car business and every time a new "Hot Model comes out" I have an opportunist that got a dealer to sell them one such Hot model for MSRP, come by trying to resell to us above MSRP telling us what low production and high demand the vehicle is (we usually politely decline) but its free enterprise and they can do that. Most dealers would love to sell the new models to their loyal customer base for MSRP or less if possible and continue the relationship.
When the new GT500 came out in 2007 I sold the first one to a very loyal customer at a discount, when he was done with it he sold it back to us and we resold it again, it was a win / win. The people that came in and wanted one that had never done business with us before but had several new Fords already they had bought else were we told them what the Market price was. All I'm saying is if you have a previous relationship with or do your regular business with any business they will probably treat you better than someone that they don't see on a regular basis.
Try to go to your local jeweler and get a new Roex Daytona, you can't because they sold them to their regular customers, but you can go online and get a preowned one for $10,000 over list price from a opportunist who got one form his dealer at list price?
Believe me there are going to be plenty of Broncos for everyone and acquiring one for MSRP should not be difficult, if your local dealer is an opportunist then go down the street, if you have a dealer you do business with he will know the value of that and may even make you a little better deal. but dealers don't have huge mark up like most people think. its really to early to be asking a sales person how much over or under he will sell you a vehicle that won't be for 9 months.
last year I had a guy give us a deposit on a new 2020 GT500 6 months later he called me and asked me how much we were going to sell it to him for, I told him I had no idea, buy what was up? he said well I'm down the street at your competitor and they want $50,000 over sticker, I said they sound greedy are you buying more than 1 of these? He said well no I'm just price checking you, I told him I was holding a allocation for him and would be as fair as possible with him but we didn't have pricing and certainly didn't know the market at this point. So I was not willing to commit to anything (if the market is really $10;000 over or $10,000 under MSRP we would work him a fair deal at the time, he said well he was going to check every dealer in our metro and I said maybe it was better that we send him his earnest money back rather than hold up a car he wasn't really committed to and when we had a car available we would call him with the actual price). I sent him a check the next day and we have sold all 6 of our GT500's for slightly under Market value. for this year.

Road trip!!!

Jul 11, 2020

I never asked any of the dealers for a price lower than MSRP. I asked if they would guarantee me MSRP.

Most of us are not expecting to get them below MSRP. What we don’t want, is to be price gouged.
jinskeep, Sheri1327

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

I really feel like, for the most part you will see some MSRP at the start, but it will tail off quickly to normal asking margins :)
SlashRacer

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

Wait for the reveal on Monday, place a reservation (its takes a $100.00 deposit and its refundable), pick your favorite dealer and early spring on 2021 when everyone has information if your dealer is a price gouger you can move your reservation to another dealer.
Dealers went thru the same process with the Mach E and now its time to finalize those orders, on the Mach E the dealers were strongly encouraged to go in to FMC Website and commit to no higher than MSRP (we were glad to do that).
I am sure it will be a similar process on the Bronco and am confident most dealers will sell for a maximum of MSRP.

But let me ask a question to those that are bothered about dealers not willing to commit to MSRP, if the market is really hot you will expect the dealer to honor his price at MSRP correct? But if the market is not so hot and you can get it at a discount will you still honor your commitment to the dealer at MSRP? or do you want it for market price? just place your reservation and enjoy the fact that Ford is doing this and when the time comes I am confident your dealer will be fair, if he's not go to the next one.
There will be plenty of Bronco's to go around and it will be a fun experience for everyone.
SlashRacer

Road trip!!!

Jul 11, 2020

I really feel like, for the most part you will see some MSRP at the start, but it will tail off quickly to normal asking margins :)
I see in your profile you are in Gaylord. Just over 3hrs North of me. ;)

Rank 0

Jul 11, 2020

yes sir
SlashRacer

Rank III

Jul 11, 2020

I went into one of the local Ford dealerships today and spoke with the sales manager about pricing. He would not guarantee me msrp on the pricing. He explained to me that when the GT 500 came out, ever dealership was allotted 1. The one they ordered happened to be the only carbon option(not sure what that is) in Michigan and they sold it for $25,000 over msrp. They based their prices on the market.

I told the sales manager that I bought a Raptor from them in 2010. If when the pricing comes out and they are above msrp, I will move my reservation to another dealership. I read somewhere that all we have to do is call Ford and they will swap dealerships for our reserve.

I will get what I want for what I’m willing to pay. There are LOTS of Ford dealerships out there. Some are willing to deal.

i would not purchase a Bronco from them if it’s over MSRP. Ford wants to sell 200,000 units, which is what Jeeps sells annually on the wrangler. Although the 200,000 units includes all three models it still does not make it a special unit like the gt500.