My Plasti Dip Journey

Brumby
May 22, 2020

Rank 0

May 22, 2020

Changing colors on your Bronco belongs in the modifications section right? A quick rundown, I got this bronco in 1998 and it had a rattle can paint job. Since it was the late 90's, I'm embarrassed to say I fell in love with the yellow Land Rover D90s running around my area. I didn't spend a lot on the paint job although it looked good from 10 feet. Fast forward 20 years and I'm really tired of the yellow. I prefer the more traditional colors and the bronco was originally Boxwood Green, which is one of my favorites.

Not wanting to go down the path of a full on paint job at the moment, I decided to give the Plasti Dip a try via Dip Your Car website. Also, it allowed me to fill in some holes from the OE tire carrier and fix up some other areas. We landed on Matte White and I have to say I am happy with the results.

Attachments

tasker, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020

Rank 0

May 22, 2020

I purchased the Dip Your Car (DYC) sprayer and 5 gallons of white dip. With no top and doors I went through about 2.5 gallons and still have the doors to paint.

Attachments

Xpathf1nderX, tasker

Rank 0

May 23, 2020

I have 8 coats to get it to this point. Again, I'm really happy with how it turned out. One thing I learned is after the final coat, I started cleaning the spray gun and instead I should have started removing the tape. I let the paint set up and tore some of the plasti-dip removing the tape. So, lesson learned... remove the tape around the edges quickly before it sets up.
tasker, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

May 25, 2020

Looks good. I tried (the Duplicolor knock-off of) Plasti Dip without much luck. I had the same issue with the tape lines. Removing the plasti dip was not as easy as advertised!
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Commodore

Rank 0

May 25, 2020

Thanks Gary. I'm hopeful that I can resolved the tape lines issue when I do the doors. I have plenty of Dip left, so I may treat those as a trial and error until I get it right.

I saw that you are moving to CO full time. Sad to see you leaving the area, but I know our paths will cross again.
-Jeff Garner
gibsBRonCO

Rank 0

Jul 16, 2020

Looks good so far. Please post the final results. I am on the fence about whether to dip or wrap mine.
SHAGI4

Rank V

Jul 17, 2020

I’m curious about overall costs and time spent.
I like the look but I want to compare it to vinyl wrap which I was quoted $2,500.00 installed by a shop but I prefer the DIY otherwise I can’t Bragg!
It’s time to live again but never forget the ones we lost!
SHAGI4

Rank 0

Jul 18, 2020

I purchased everything from Dip Your Car: https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/dyc-vehicle-kits. I paid about $500 that included the dip, supplies and one of their air turbine sprayers.
Time spent wasn't too bad, but it did take more time to tape everything off than it did to spray. I would say I spent a solid weekend to do it. Once you get to the spraying part you have to put down at least 8 coats and remember to remove the tape almost immediately after the last coat to avoid the dip drying on the tape and tearing during removal.

I bought the Large kit based on their recommendation and only used about half of it. However, I haven't done the doors yet and don't have a hardtop.
tasker, SHAGI4

Rank V

Jul 18, 2020

Simple math I would save $2,000.00 and lose a weekend sounds like the better choice. Thanks for the info and I will post pics once I go through the process.
It’s time to live again but never forget the ones we lost!
SHAGI4

Rank VI

Aug 14, 2020

The results appear to be worth every penny!
SHAGI4

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2020

Awesome looking Bronco. Can’t wait to see it all finished.

Rank 0

Aug 27, 2020

I purchased the Dip Your Car (DYC) sprayer and 5 gallons of white dip. With no top and doors I went through about 2.5 gallons and still have the doors to paint.
Nice work. Are you telling me you hand sprayed that with rattle cans of Plasti DIp? Your forerms must look like Popeye's. How many cans did you go through???
tasker

Rank 0

Aug 27, 2020

Nice work. Are you telling me you hand sprayed that with rattle cans of Plasti DIp? Your forerms must look like Popeye's. How many cans did you go through???
That is awesome. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see the final product.

Rank 0

Aug 28, 2020

You can buy the product in gallon buckets and use an electric turbine style sprayer like this one in the link below. I agree my forearms would have been hurting with rattle cans!!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collecti...ns/products/dyc-dipsprayer?variant=5631238212

Rank VI

Aug 29, 2020

I bought a can to try before I did my truck, I sprayed the handles of a few hand-tools and wasn't impressed
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank 0

Aug 29, 2020

You can buy the product in gallon buckets and use an electric turbine style sprayer like this one in the link below. I agree my forearms would have been hurting with rattle cans!!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collecti...ns/products/dyc-dipsprayer?variant=5631238212
That certainly sounds a lot more reasonable then rattle cans