My Overland Communication Model

Mal

Rank V

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Member #

Whip antenna? The GMRS/FRS radios usually have a pretty small antenna.
Im probably going to go with this one from Midland

Its 32" so I think I will rear mount it somewhere around the tailgate. Back in the day, I had a giant CB whip antenna on the back of my CJ. Its a bit of a throwback to that.

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

Been looking at this thread for a bit, I will be a 2022 delivery so not in a huge rush yet. Great resource. Shout out to @BuzzyBud for all of the solid work he puts into all of the topics he researches. I have been using a CB for over ten years on my Mustang runs. Effective with smaller groups on the open highway but definitely has shortcomings. I used to run the long buggy whip. If you are using the magnetic attachment anten put some plastic wrap or cut out a piece of carpet runner/drawer liner. Helps prevent unnecessary scratching. And an FYI the long buggy whips fall over at 90-95 MPH. Allegedly....shorty has never toppled over. Yet

Mal

Rank V

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Member #

Just got my GMRS license. I am already looking forward to the ridiculous whip antenna that will be on the Rig. It will fit right in on the old sedan till Bronco Arrival Day (B-A-Day) :)
For what its worth, I have thoroughly enjoyed futzing about with the GMRS system since I got my license. We have quite a good repeater network here in NM and I can range most of the state from my mobile set up in the hybrid (using a Midland MXT275). Its 15 Watts, but its plenty, even using the mag-antenna included in the package. I bet this would work fine with a better antenna installed permanent in the Bronco for the trail.

meyermi

Rank IV

Advocate III

Jan 22, 2021
San Diego
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Meyer
Member #

For what its worth, I have thoroughly enjoyed futzing about with the GMRS system since I got my license. We have quite a good repeater network here in NM and I can range most of the state from my mobile set up in the hybrid (using a Midland MXT275). Its 15 Watts, but its plenty, even using the mag-antenna included in the package. I bet this would work fine with a better antenna installed permanent in the Bronco for the trail.
Like this little antenna/signal booster...
https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-mxta25-3db-gain-ghost-antenna/

Reactions: Mal and BuzzyBud

Mal

Rank V

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Member #

Reactions: BuzzyBud

TurkeyRun

Rank V

Supporter II

Aug 5, 2020
Manteca, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Yep, very seriously considering that and one of the lip mounts for the rear deck lid on my sedan. Not sure how I'm going to rig the antenna on the Bronco. There are a load of Jeep brackets that will put the antenna on/near the mirrors. I bet the aftermarket will deliver one for the same location. One of the benefits of being MY22 :) #brightside
I might get one of these: and try it out on the hood of my old F350. See if it scratches anything on that first.

Reactions: TorgSurv and Mal

Level3Looper

Rank V

Promoter III

May 20, 2020
Westchester, NY, USA
First Name
Level3
Last Name
Looper
Member #

[I posted this a while back on Bronco6g]

I have Motorola T600s. They're waterproof and float. I use them mostly for kayaking the Hudson River, Delaware River in NY and the Housatonic River in CT as well as hiking in the Catskills and Adirondacks in NY

Frequency Band: FRS/GMRS 462 - 467 MHz in the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) Band

Mototrola_T600.jpg