My new Bronco Sport randomly won't accelerate from a stop.

JUD
Jun 25, 2022

Rank 0

Jun 25, 2022

In the 8 weeks since I bought my Bronco Sport it has randomly failed to accelerate from a stop at least four times. Each time its after at 10+ minute drive, with AC, and after turning it off it will eventually move, but sluggish or barely. When it won't move at all it revs and will roll, like neutral, but the dial is in drive or reverse. I get honked at stop lights and am going to get hit pulling into traffic, eventually. It has been back to the dealer twice and looking at a third. The problem is random and they haven't been able to duplicate it, so can't fix it either. It was made in 3/22. Anyone else have this problem?
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2022

Rank IV

Jun 25, 2022

This might be a dumb question, but these things have the stupid Auto Stop feature when you stop at a light for over say 10 seconds, it shuts the engine off and then restarts when you lift your foot off the brake. Sometimes works a little slow and stumbles a little at takeoff.
The switch on the dash turns it off but it must be turned off again every time you drive it.
I personally am getting a Auto Stop defeat switch available from vendors which makes the switch either on all the time or off all the time.
I have one on my Raptor and love it.

It could also be the feature is defective in your Bronco. Does the problem still occur when you kill the Auto Stop with the switch?
2021 Bronco Wildtrak Cyber Orange, 2019 Raptor Perf Blue
1955 Chevy Cameo, (2) 2023 Mavericks (on order)

Rank V

Jun 25, 2022

In the 8 weeks since I bought my Bronco Sport it has randomly failed to accelerate from a stop at least four times. Each time its after at 10+ minute drive, with AC, and after turning it off it will eventually move, but sluggish or barely. When it won't move at all it revs and will roll, like neutral, but the dial is in drive or reverse. I get honked at stop lights and am going to get hit pulling into traffic, eventually. It has been back to the dealer twice and looking at a third. The problem is random and they haven't been able to duplicate it, so can't fix it either. It was made in 3/22. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi there. This acceleration concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
ried, Crawler Green

Rank VI

Jun 25, 2022

Sounds like a transmission problem to me.
SuperMike, SCBronco1

Rank VI

Jun 25, 2022

Reminds me of a problem I had with my old Taurus. Ended up being the throttle solenoid. If you continue to have the problem and the dealer can’t replicate it, I’d replace it myself. It’s not expensive and it’s not hard to do. It maybe for not, but it is something to consider
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

Rank 0

Aug 20, 2022

hi I’m having the same issues myself. Have you had this resolved yet and if so what was the problem?? Thanks!
Clo9599, SuperMike

Rank 0

Aug 20, 2022

hi I’m having the same issues myself. Have you had this resolved yet and if so what was the problem?? Thanks!
The problem has been resolved. I was able to record it happening and showed it to my dealer. After several weeks they installed a new transmission and Ford has agreed to repurchase the car.
SuperMike, NT AUTOMOTIVE

Rank 0

Aug 20, 2022

Wow I’m sorry to hear that. I’m taking mine in next week to get looked at. Seems like the problem comes and goes but is becoming more frequent. Did they replace your bronco or just give you the value for it?

Rank V

Aug 21, 2022

I haven't heard of that or experienced this issue myself in my Bronco Sport and hope I won't. I appreciate Ford Motor Company jumping in to comment for you quickly like they did.

Rank 0

Aug 25, 2022

Sorry to hear about your issues with your Ford Bronco. I have a Ford 2021 Bronco and am also having issues, specifically it is experiencing an engine shudder. I notice the shudder more while driving at lower speeds (40 mph and below). At times when I break, the rpm spikes to 3,000 rpm’s while breaking before the car comes to a stop, the engine then shudders. Other times, while changing lower speeds, the engine will also jump before it shifts into the next gear. I have taken my car in twice to the dealership and I was also told that this is a characteristic of the vehicle. I have had other Ford’s before that had a similar engine and it did not have that characteristic. The guy at the dealership who test drove my car said he could see what I was describing but when it came time for the car to be taken in to the mechanic he said the characteristic was normal for the engine. This absolutely does not feel normal! Next time I take it in will be my third time visiting the dealership and I am not confident that the issue will resolve. This will likely be my last time buying a Ford vehicle. This issue happens sporadically for me too so it has been hard to replicate - how did you record what was happening to show it to ford? Did you simply record it on your phone? Thank you!

Rank 0

Sep 05, 2022

I am having the same issue. I keep thinking it’s going to stall. I also still have the weird noise when my car reverses. I took it to the Delphic they had my car for 14 days and still am having same issues . How can I get these fixed i don’t really want to trade my vehicle in. But I am so unhappy

Rank V

Sep 06, 2022

I am having the same issue. I keep thinking it’s going to stall. I also still have the weird noise when my car reverses. I took it to the Delphic they had my car for 14 days and still am having same issues . How can I get these fixed i don’t really want to trade my vehicle in. But I am so unhappy
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Rank 0

Sep 06, 2022

We’re having the same type of issue with brand new bronco sport. Only 400 miles and having acceleration issues. Been to dealer once but they could find anything wrong. Headed back again today because it happened again.

Rank V

Sep 06, 2022

We’re having the same type of issue with brand new bronco sport. Only 400 miles and having acceleration issues. Been to dealer once but they could find anything wrong. Headed back again today because it happened again.

Hi there! I can look into your Bronco's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

Rank 0

Sep 07, 2022

Hi there! I can look into your Bronco's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

Rank 0

Sep 07, 2022

Not sure I know how to PM

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 07, 2022

Not sure I know how to PM
Hover your mouse over the "Ford Motor Company" name above. A small pop-up will appear and there will be a "start conversation" button you can hit.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Rank 0

Sep 07, 2022

Thank you
NT AUTOMOTIVE, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Sep 22, 2022

MY Turbo lag last to long I was told by the dealership its normal. I talked a another mechanic its not normal and Ford wont fix the problem. They told me to take it another dealer and see if they could help me. First time my bronco sport was in the shop it was 14 days and I had to beg for car rental reimbursement . This second time was 8 days both problems not fixed and no rental car provided. I work and go to locations for my job I have to have a car. This is the awful. I am going to try and be reimbursed. I probably going to end up getting rid of my car as I am afraid it will breakdown. The sad thing is I loved this car but I shouldn't be having so many issues.

Rank 0

Sep 22, 2022

Sorry to hear about your issues with your Ford Bronco. I have a Ford 2021 Bronco and am also having issues, specifically it is experiencing an engine shudder. I notice the shudder more while driving at lower speeds (40 mph and below). At times when I break, the rpm spikes to 3,000 rpm’s while breaking before the car comes to a stop, the engine then shudders. Other times, while changing lower speeds, the engine will also jump before it shifts into the next gear. I have taken my car in twice to the dealership and I was also told that this is a characteristic of the vehicle. I have had other Ford’s before that had a similar engine and it did not have that characteristic. The guy at the dealership who test drove my car said he could see what I was describing but when it came time for the car to be taken in to the mechanic he said the characteristic was normal for the engine. This absolutely does not feel normal! Next time I take it in will be my third time visiting the dealership and I am not confident that the issue will resolve. This will likely be my last time buying a Ford vehicle. This issue happens sporadically for me too so it has been hard to replicate - how did you record what was happening to show it to ford? Did you simply record it on your phone? Thank you!
This is happening on mine also and they told me the same thing.