My day a Moab

Oldhippie
Mar 10, 2022

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

I went to the off Roadeo yesterday. Only one other couple signed up so we only had two Broncos and had extra time to do obstacles 2 and 3 times along with side activities. A little wind, rain and snow, with 50 degree temps. We actually ate at the restaurant. Great day all together. Thanks Mandy!

After spending a day at the wheel of a Bronco at the Moab Off-Roadeo here are my expressions...First the driving/sitting position does not hurt my leg or back (which is my biggest reason for getting a Bronco, along with the top coming off). It is just very comfortable both on and off the road. It has a lot of nice features and abilities that have been expounded on over and over by others so I won’t bore ya with them...

On road it drives about like any other medium/big suv/truck...the v6 seems to have “good enough” power, the ride is pretty comfortable (all good things given the off-road abilities) but it is no performance vehicle and will let ya know it.

Off-road the first thing I discovered is how low it is (I drove a 4 door badlands without Sasquatch). It hit hard points a lot, over stuff I did not expect. It also is pretty good at “3 wheeling” (not a good thing). That said it went pretty much anywhere I pointed it without any real drama. But this is only a 4 out of 10 trail (whatever that means). It is clear it needs more lift and articulation (not easy fixes with front axle “u-joint” angles near the limit) to be an actual rock crawling trail rig. To be fair that is really not what it was designed as and on faster stuff, plus on road, (what most folks are buying it for) it is really very good.

There are two things that I really did not like: first the emergency brake control (leave alone it is electronic and not at all useful for anything but parking) it is in a terrible place where ya can’t see it! I had to open the door and look at it every time I used it! Maybe I’ll get used to it but still a terrible design! Next is the “manual” operation of the 10 speed transmission...leave alone there is nothing telling ya what gear you are in or what position the shifter is in...the + - shift control takes its sweet time if it does anything at all and will not stay in the gear selected (so if ya stop it will always start out in first). It is just all vague and irritating! Alfa has this down! I would also complain about the dash layout but that has been covered over and over also...

All in all I am happy with the vehicle and my choice to get one. It is pretty much what I expected and will meet my need/want for a comfortable topless fun vehicle better than anything else out there plus have the ability to journey off the beaten path and even into the wilderness on occasion.

View attachment 31142View attachment 31142
2023 Big Bend 2 door, race red, 2.7, Sasquatch, tow

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

I think you may have missed the M on the trani selection. Offroad, put it in M and now YOU select the gear and it stays there.

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

I think you may have missed the M on the trani selection. Offroad, put it in M and now YOU select the gear and it stays there.
Not if you stop...

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

Why did you not get in a Badlands? Believe it or not Ford as does Jeep designs these for on road use first. Even if the is 36/42 inches of ground clearance one rock with either axle in a depression, you will be dragging on objects. 5 ft of clearance is neither safe or practical for road use.

Don’t worry about the 3 wheels. Even with 2 live axles oem rubicon do the same thing. Just not as much. However if it bothers you so much I’m sure there will be people who will add Bronco DR level suspension to their Broncos. Have fun!

Gladesmen

Mar 10, 2022

Off-road the first thing I discovered is how low it is (I drove a 4 door wildtrak without Sasquatch)
The Wildtrak comes with Sasquatch standard. is this a typo?
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

Why did you not get in a Badlands? Believe it or not Ford as does Jeep designs these for on road use first. Even if the is 36/42 inches of ground clearance one rock with either axle in a depression, you will be dragging on objects. 5 ft of clearance is neither safe or practical for road use.

Don’t worry about the 3 wheels. Even with 2 live axles oem rubicon do the same thing. Just not as much. However if it bothers you so much I’m sure there will be people who will add Bronco DR level suspension to their Broncos. Have fun!
sorry, I was in a badlands...fixed it...love how you go to 5 feet of ground clearance...I am thinking 3-5” would make a world of difference...thinking portals if they become more reasonable...yes stock rubicons do lift wheels easily, just not as easily as Broncos and not a lot of stock rubicons actually running the Rubicon(where I plan to take my Bronco).

Rank V

Mar 10, 2022

sorry, I was in a badlands...love how you go to 5 feet of ground clearance...I am thinking 3-5” would make a world of difference...thinking portals if they become more reasonable...yes stock rubicons do lift wheels easily, just not as easily as Broncos and not a lot of stock rubicons actually running the Rubicon(where I plan to take my Bronco).
Again that’s because impractical and unsafe from a litigation point of view. So you did have the sway disconnected. There’s a good video of oem and light modified Jeeps on the rubicon from TFL.

Rank V

Mar 11, 2022

Oh that is another thing...the sway bar reconnects at 20 mph...more just irritating nanyness...

Life is a Highway

Mar 11, 2022

That is b
Oh that is another thing...the sway bar reconnects at 20 mph...more just irritating nanyness...
that is because it is for slow speed rock crawling
BuckYeah

Life is a Highway

Mar 11, 2022

What did you think of the trail assist and trail turn functions? For me I found that picking the correct line was the most important thing. when I picked correctly, no issues. Pick poorly, I was scraping. I had a badlands with Sasquatch. Also which route did they take you guys on? Were you able to do the dome trail?