Muffler / Exhaust

ChuckO
May 15, 2022

Rank VI

May 15, 2022

I wanted to give my Sport some voice and this seems like a good choice

But for a few Franklins more...

Has anyone made any exhaust mods to their Sport? If so what & why?
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Bob Blaylock
Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022

Rank V

May 15, 2022

A fake dual-exhaust for a three-cylinder engine seems particularly absurd and pointless.

Even on the scale of absurdity and pointlessness involved in putting a three-cylinder engine in such a vehicle to begin with. Only rightful place for that is either in a hybrid drive train, or in a crappy Japanese subcompact.
May the Ford be with you, always.
On Order: Badlands 4-door 2.7, Lux Package, Velocity Blue, non-Sasquatch
Bronco 911

Rank VI

May 15, 2022

A fake dual-exhaust for a three-cylinder engine seems particularly absurd and pointless.

Even on the scale of absurdity and pointlessness involved in putting a three-cylinder engine in such a vehicle to begin with. Only rightful place for that is either in a hybrid drive train, or in a crappy Japanese subcompact.
It’s a 4 cylinder but thank you for your useless input

Rank V

May 15, 2022

It’s a 4 cylinder but thank you for your useless input

You're very welcome.

Even on a four-cylinder engine, any kind of dual exhaust is pointless. On a four-cylinder, you never have more than one cylinder exhausting at a time. Not until you get to more than four cylinders do you have any two cylinders exhausting at once, and any benefit to them having different pipes into which to exhaust.
May the Ford be with you, always.
On Order: Badlands 4-door 2.7, Lux Package, Velocity Blue, non-Sasquatch

Rank VI

May 15, 2022

None of those are dual exhaust, they’re dual tipped, which is what the factory muffler is. That’s strike two by the way
BoxerBronco

Rank VI

May 15, 2022

Ehh.. the prices for some of these aftermarket exhausts seem ridiculous. $900 for an axle back system (which is essentially just a muffler replacement) is wacky.

Avoid the axle back's (especially at those prices) you want at least a cat back to try to get some performance benefit. Turbo motors like to have very free flowing exhaust. The MBRP and Borla are only a 2.5" diameter. You want a 3" diameter. For those prices, I'd recommend finding a local exhaust shop and see what they would quote you to just make a set up. I did this once with a Nissan I was modifying and tuning. Bought all the pipe and a resonator and a free flow muffler. Had a shop weld it together and install for about $200. Admittedly this was about 10 yrs ago.
ChuckO

Rank VI

May 15, 2022

Ehh.. the prices for some of these aftermarket exhausts seem ridiculous. $900 for an axle back system (which is essentially just a muffler replacement) is wacky.

Avoid the axle back's (especially at those prices) you want at least a cat back to try to get some performance benefit. Turbo motors like to have very free flowing exhaust. The MBRP and Borla are only a 2.5" diameter. You want a 3" diameter. For those prices, I'd recommend finding a local exhaust shop and see what they would quote you to just make a set up. I did this once with a Nissan I was modifying and tuning. Bought all the pipe and a resonator and a free flow muffler. Had a shop weld it together and install for about $200. Admittedly this was about 10 yrs ago.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll check a couple muffler shops for 3” cat back set up

Rank VI

May 15, 2022

...And then you can brag that you have a "custom" exhaust!
ChuckO