Moving your ECU

Johnperrion
Apr 21, 2021

Rank IV

Apr 21, 2021

Our Brother in Bronco Big Brody had his baby goat die is less that 20 inches of water due to terrible ECU placement
See thread ---->
https://www.broncosportforum.com/fo...ds-dies-crossing-20-of-water.2527/#post-42976

Buck's bumper was already pulled so I went out there to take some measurements and went ahead and moved the unit to a higher position.

Hope this is helpful!!
Follow our continuing adventures on Instagram at Buck_N_Penny !
Rexen
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2021

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Apr 21, 2021

Hopefully it does, though whose the crackhead at Ford who thought putting it there was a great idea in the first place?
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Bronclahoma

Rank IV

Apr 21, 2021

Hopefully it does, though whose the crackhead at Ford who thought putting it there was a great idea in the first place?
Thats what I was wondering!!! What an absolute terrible place for it. A front end collision would/could destroy it.
Speed Devil

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Apr 21, 2021

Thats what I was wondering!!! What an absolute terrible place for it. A front end collision would/could destroy it.

Be bad enough on most cars, but I saw the water fording promo on the other site and you'd think with something this capable it'd be high up somewhere and well insulated

This seems like amateur hour at the apollo
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Bronclahoma

Rank IV

Apr 21, 2021

Be bad enough on most cars, but I saw the water fording promo on the other site and you'd think with something this capable it'd be high up somewhere and well insulated

This seems like amateur hour at the apollo
I'm seriously considering getting a Pelican waterproof box and trying to retrofit it on to provide some protection
Bronclahoma, Bschurr

Rank IV

Apr 21, 2021

***EDIT***
Thank you to several members who have pointed out that was NOT the ECU, it is mearly a junction box. So I haven't moved the ECU at all.
The actual ECU is behind that metal plate and IS protected by a combination of a plastic compartment and then the wheel well liner.

IMG_3422[1].JPG IMG_3424[2].JPG
IMG_3425[1].JPG IMG_3423[1].JPG

IMG_3426[1].JPG

Thank you to the people who were kind enough to reach out and correct me without being a dick about it. I am not an expert by any means and am only trying to provide information to be helpful. It is very possible that things I say/do will be incorrect or inaccurate, but not purposefully.
I'm just a human and I'm learning.
Robo, DRWright

Rank III

Apr 21, 2021

***EDIT***
Thank you to several members who have pointed out that was NOT the ECU, it is mearly a junction box. So I haven't moved the ECU at all.
The actual ECU is behind that metal plate and IS protected by a combination of a plastic compartment and then the wheel well liner.

IMG_3422[1].JPG View attachment 11904
IMG_3425[1].JPG IMG_3423[1].JPG

IMG_3426[1].JPG

Thank you to the people who were kind enough to reach out and correct me without being a dick about it. I am not an expert by any means and am only trying to provide information to be helpful. It is very possible that things I say/do will be incorrect or inaccurate, but not purposefully.
I'm just a human and I'm learning.
You did make my heart race for a moment. ;)

Rank III

Apr 22, 2021

Even though this isn't the ECU, no electrical connections should be this low on an off-road vehicle. Hey Bronco Nation, can you provide some feedback to Ford on this? It's an easy fix to mount this higher.
DeepCreek

Rank V

Apr 22, 2021

Nicet to read the placement of the ECU unit got cleared up.
Also a good reminder NOT to jump to conclusions on reading any 1 post.

This is still interesting how it failed. Did water enter it or not?
Is there a more difinitive answer to it failing?

As to how thing's are made
(including food)
Probably there would be many eyebrow raising wtf things...
if we only new ;)
Johnperrion

Rank V

Apr 22, 2021

Even though this isn't the ECU, no electrical connections should be this low on an off-road vehicle. Hey Bronco Nation, can you provide some feedback to Ford on this? It's an easy fix to mount this higher.
is it classified as off-road vehicle?
Just askin what signifies that?

Ask that rhetoricaly because of the few puffed up waiting for their midsize bronco ordering people who are pissed off ford called this a bronco sport.
( which btw only shows ignorance of the ability of what 4wd drive is,
And arrogance to spout about their ignorance)
Yeah, that was intended as a kick in the leg to them ! ;)

Rank III

Apr 22, 2021

Agree. I'm from Oklahoma, but have spent a lot of time in Texas. They have a a theory about belt buckles down there. Some say the bigger your belt buckle, the smaller your phallic dimensions. Cleaned up a bit for public consumption. I think that applies to some of the BS bashers. :rolleyes:

Home, home on the range

Apr 22, 2021

I for one have no issues with the Sport being a Bronco. I just feel there should have been a little more to the name to distinguish the difference between it and the 2 and 4 dr Bronco. In all honesty if the Sport had a removable top and manual like the 2 and 4dr I would've gotten a Sport and not waited. I think a lot of people agree the Sport is very capable and a welcome addition to the Bronco family.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Bronclahoma, TrailReady

Rank V

Apr 22, 2021

I for one have no issues with the Sport being a Bronco. I just feel there should have been a little more to the name to distinguish the difference between it and the 2 and 4 dr Bronco. In all honesty if the Sport had a removable top and manual like the 2 and 4dr I would've gotten a Sport and not waited. I think a lot of people agree the Sport is very capable and a welcome addition to the Bronco family.
That might be a great project
To chop one into a no top soft top????
Hmmm maybe someone will.
Put a roll cage on it....

A lot would be altered tho with the lift gate and doors/ windows
Sdakotabronco

Rank III

Apr 27, 2021

Bronco Nation folks have contact with Ford People. The junction box was the problem. It's posted on another forum that has a lot more participation than this one. This issue needs to be made a sticky and shared with Ford. It's a design flaw and will cause Ford and customers a lot of problems. Ford has denied to cover under warranty. This design flaw is an easy fix. I can't imagine anyone involved with the Bronco's design that wouldn't mount these components as high as possible. If they want to do the right thing, they should do a recall. The sooner the better.
Deano Bronc, Johnperrion