More Information on Chip Shortages and Bronco

Will you be editing your order to optimize for delivery time?

• Yes, I didn't need that Sasquatch package anyway.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Nope, I'm going to be patient and get the Bronco I want.

Votes: 187 88.6%
  • I'm now paralyzed with indecision.

Votes: 11 5.2%

• Total voters

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

This is why I was going to post a reply to someone else, but decided it might be better to just ignore the person. Bashing Ford in most post they did, just got tired of it. I would like to ask @David or @Laura or the BN group, The email that suppose to come out in May, will that be for ALL reservations up to a certain date? Cause my understanding is that this will be a very small group and the rest will be emailed this fall. Just adds to the misunderstanding why there was a cutoff on changes in April when only so many would only be built and doesn't apply to. Guess we'll know in another week or two.
Ford has failed in the communication dept from Day 1 so not holding my breath for anything good from Ford in May, unfortunately, they rely on BN and other 3rd parties to do their work for whatever reason they can't be honest and direct with their customers

Reactions: Bronco5.0

Pakrat

Rank IV

Don't delete

Dec 15, 2020
Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
Jud
Last Name
Gutheil
We are not alone folks!

Father in-law ordered the new Chevy Suburban over six months ago...still not in production. His new Corvette took a hell of long time as well and he just got it about a month ago. Co-worker ordered the Jeep 392 and put down a $5k non-refundable deposit back in Nov 2020. He got a VIN about a month ago but scheduled production just keeps getting bumped back farther. Just today he was told that it is currently "estimated" to go into production the week of 5/17 but that it could change. He sold his current Jeep just after ordering because he was told that it would arrive in January. He has been Jeep-less since December :LOL:. Jeep just told him most likely won't be delivered till end of June or early July.

In reality our Bronco orders were only officially logged less than a month ago so technically those who will be receiving them in July or August are ahead of the curve compared to Jeep and Chevy at least. My only personal gripe is the BS around the reservation system and people getting builds with later reservations with some of the options on them Ford claims to be in short supply. As mentioned there are work arounds to some of the supply issues like pre-wiring towing harnesses and plumbing the rear-wiper for hardtops many of us would love to embrace if Ford really wanted to honor the reservation system. I get it though. What a hassle and extra cost for the dealers to start receiving hardtops and towing packages to install later.

I just don't want buyers remorse if an awesome color comes out in '22. Get your Bronco in October and see all the new drool worthy paints come out in December:cry:. Also, the roof rack GVWR issue should be resolved by now since they clearly have it worked out for '22s. What could have possibly be done to make it work for next years model that can't happen now? It should be like the headliner at least where we get a credit for later or better yet just make it work now.

Last edited:

Broncadonk MKG

Rank IV

Advocate III

Dec 23, 2020
Manhattan, KS, USA
First Name
Mikayla
Last Name
Gentine
Member #

We are not alone folks!

Father in-law ordered the new Chevy Suburban over six months ago...still not in production. His new Corvette took a hell of long time as well and he just got it about a month ago. Co-worker ordered the Jeep 392 and put down a $5k non-refundable deposit back in Nov 2020. He got a VIN about a month ago but scheduled production just keeps getting bumped back farther. Just today he was told that it is currently "estimated" to go into production the week of 5/17 but that it could change. He sold his current Jeep just after ordering because he was told that it would arrive in January. He has been Jeep-less since December :LOL:. Jeep just told him most likely won't be delivered till end of June or early July.

In reality our Bronco orders were only officially logged less than a month ago so technically those who will be receiving them in July or August are ahead of the curve compared to Jeep and Chevy at least. My only personal gripe is the BS around the reservation system and people getting builds with later reservations with some of the options on them Ford claims to be in short supply. As mentioned there are work arounds to some of the supply issues like pre-wiring towing harnesses and plumbing the rear-wiper for hardtops many of us would love to embrace if Ford really wanted to honor the reservation system. I get it though. What a hassle and extra cost for the dealers to start receiving hardtops and towing packages to install later.

I just don't want buyers remorse if an awesome color comes out in '22. Get your Bronco in October and see all the new drool worthy paints come out in December:cry:. Also, the roof rack GVWR issue should be resolved by now since they clearly have it worked out for '22s. What could have possibly be done to make it work for next years model that can't happen now? It should be like the headliner at least where we get a credit for later or better yet just make it work now.
My dealership is getting a couple new Escalades soon. We have to mark up $5000 above sticker when they arrive, AND we STILL have a waiting list of customers ready to buy. In Cali there are some dealerships marking their same Escalades up by over $30,000 above sticker.
In a sense, we are getting things pretty easily. Those orders are ours, nobody can show up before we get there to buy it out from underneath us. Plus the price is locked down. If a dealership is still marking up above MSRP they’re flat wrong because Ford will penalize any dealership for not completing order delivery. Essentially if any customer arrives for delivery and the price is higher than originally agreed upon, the customer can (and should) threaten to walk. Manufacturers can’t penalize for a new vehicle that wasn’t custom ordered though, so it’s going to go to the highest bidder.

HikerAT22

Rank II

Advocate III

Jan 20, 2021
Broadview Heights, OH, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Ridgeway
It's not a 22 issue, its not available until the 22MY is what I was saying. They have no clue the issues at hand right now, let alone when we get into 2022 production with the same issues for years to come now
I guess my comment was a bit confusing Didn't intend to say it was an issue for '22. Meant to question when did a manual transmission choice push an order to the '22 model year. Hadn't seen that as a '21 constraint anywhere else.

Reactions: ResidualGenius

nic

Rank V

Don't delete

Jul 22, 2020
Marietta, GA, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Cannington
Member #

I'm starting to accept the situation. I do wish Ford was more proactive/transparent with the situation, but it is what it is

I've now set my sights on getting the Bronco by fall and having some great camping/outdoor weather. Summer's too hot in the south to camp anyway, right?

Some solid points having more aftermarket accessories readily available by then.

Summer Love

Rank 0

Advocate II

Apr 28, 2021
Southold, NY
First Name
Gene
Last Name
Boxer
I confirmed with my LFD that the Tow Hitch accessory could (currently) delay my build so I deleted it since I can easily install a Tow Hitch post delivery. I recall that Ford told us in January (before ordering) that the following features would be expected to lead to extended wait times:
  • Two‑Door
  • Wildtrak™ Series
  • 2.7L Engine
  • Sasquatch™ Package
  • Lux Equipment Group
  • Leather‑Trimmed Interior
Even though my order has 4 of these 6, I will not delete the 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux or Leather features to accelerate my build as they are essential to what attracted me to the Bronco. Ford has done their best to adapt to production shortages resulting from a global pandemic. I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I get delivery sometime over the summer...

Rydfree

Rank VI

Super Supporter III

Sep 1, 2020
Alabama
First Name
Benny
Last Name
Bryant
Member #

I guess my comment was a bit confusing Didn't intend to say it was an issue for '22. Meant to question when did a manual transmission choice push an order to the '22 model year. Hadn't seen that as a '21 constraint anywhere else.
Manual with Squatch is 22MY . Manual with 2.7 is unavailable . You can get a manual with 2.3 in MY21 about as quick as anything else . That's not saying much though :(

Reactions: Deano Bronc

Fordication

Rank 0

Advocate I

Nov 15, 2020
NJ, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Sherman
Hi all, I know I'm a little late to the discussion, (I'm not upset) but I do have some questions about that Picture example of Broncos: To all you Badlanders out there like me, (or anyone else for that matter) does any of this make you wonder ? I mean, a Badlands model is over halfway home to being a Sasquatch package anyway, just look at the cost if you went Squatch... half the price of any other model....throw in the Tires, rims, Gear ratio, and transmission I guess. But that is going to delay my Badlands???? I hope that this pictorial is a bad example of what might happen.... Still staying with what we ordered come Hell or High Water, but your thoughts would be appreciated nonetheless.

Thanks

Reactions: TK1215

cbarg14

Rank II

Super Supporter II

Nov 28, 2020
Idaho, USA
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Barg
Fortunately, I currently have a vehicle that meets my needs so delays just give me more time to get my finances in order. I know some folks are NOT in my situation so all I can say is SUCKS TO BE YOU!

Okay, that was mean. I was just having some fun and trying to lighten the mood.

KennyMac

Rank IV

Supporter III

Dec 7, 2020
Alabama, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
MacAllister
People keep saying Ford should have planned this better, or should have seen this coming, etc. There is no way to plan for what is happening in the world today. I work in manufacturing, and we have been running at a reduced rate all year, solely because we can't get parts to assemble. Even though you have a supplier on contract to supply 20,000 of a bracket, when they agreed to delivery dates, M8 rivnuts were simple off the shelf items, you know, like you expect to just be able to walk into dollar general and buy a pack of toilet paper. Just like a year ago you couldn't find toilet paper, now you can't find an M8 rivnut on the face of the planet (hypothetical example, not really the problem as far as I know), so the supplier has no way to make their bracket. No matter how much you yell, scream, cry, sue, do whatever to your supplier, it does not change the global supply of rivnuts so your bracket still does not exist.

So let's say somebody ordered one after you that doesn't need M8 rivnuts. Should they build that one and still wait on yours? Or should they say "no, eff that guy, if we can't build YOUR order, we won't build ANY order!" I mean, if they don't have the parts to build your Bronco, they can't build your Bronco. If the part shortage on yours blocks the build of any build that comes after yours, then they would only build 4,000 Broncos this year instead of 60,000. Gotta build what you can and keep that line rolling. A shuttered Bronco line waiting on a part for your Bronco instead of building another one they do have parts for would be disastrous beyond comprehension. We quite often shuffle production order based on projected parts shortages because building fewer units in a month is significantly more impactful than building more units in a different order.

If you think Ford foreseeing these shortages in their crystal ball and stockpiling them early would have helped, well, no. Aside from this just not being possible, if it was, and they in any way could have acquired all the parts 6 months ago, they would have been building Broncos 6 months ago. But they couldn't get them then either.

I am in no way defending Ford, just defending the manufacturing process and what it actually takes to build something. The world is currently upside down and nothing is working like it should. You can't custom order anything from any manufacturer right now and expect delivery anytime soon. You're just upset because you really want a Bronco. But, you obviously still really want a Bronco, and I promise, Ford really wants to sell you one.

That being said, I would gladly take delivery of my Bronco with no tow pkg and no roof at all if I could pick them up from a regional distribution point whenever they happen to become available, even if I have to install them myself, if that would get me in the driver seat sooner!

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

People keep saying Ford should have planned this better, or should have seen this coming, etc. There is no way to plan for what is happening in the world today. I work in manufacturing, and we have been running at a reduced rate all year, solely because we can't get parts to assemble. Even though you have a supplier on contract to supply 20,000 of a bracket, when they agreed to delivery dates, M8 rivnuts were simple off the shelf items, you know, like you expect to just be able to walk into dollar general and buy a pack of toilet paper. Just like a year ago you couldn't find toilet paper, now you can't find an M8 rivnut on the face of the planet (hypothetical example, not really the problem as far as I know), so the supplier has no way to make their bracket. No matter how much you yell, scream, cry, sue, do whatever to your supplier, it does not change the global supply of rivnuts so your bracket still does not exist.

So let's say somebody ordered one after you that doesn't need M8 rivnuts. Should they build that one and still wait on yours? Or should they say "no, eff that guy, if we can't build YOUR order, we won't build ANY order!" I mean, if they don't have the parts to build your Bronco, they can't build your Bronco. If the part shortage on yours blocks the build of any build that comes after yours, then they would only build 4,000 Broncos this year instead of 60,000. Gotta build what you can and keep that line rolling. A shuttered Bronco line waiting on a part for your Bronco instead of building another one they do have parts for would be disastrous beyond comprehension. We quite often shuffle production order based on projected parts shortages because building fewer units in a month is significantly more impactful than building more units in a different order.

If you think Ford foreseeing these shortages in their crystal ball and stockpiling them early would have helped, well, no. Aside from this just not being possible, if it was, and they in any way could have acquired all the parts 6 months ago, they would have been building Broncos 6 months ago. But they couldn't get them then either.

I am in no way defending Ford, just defending the manufacturing process and what it actually takes to build something. The world is currently upside down and nothing is working like it should. You can't custom order anything from any manufacturer right now and expect delivery anytime soon. You're just upset because you really want a Bronco. But, you obviously still really want a Bronco, and I promise, Ford really wants to sell you one.

That being said, I would gladly take delivery of my Bronco with no tow pkg and no roof at all if I could pick them up from a regional distribution point whenever they happen to become available, even if I have to install them myself, if that would get me in the driver seat sooner!

If they can only build 4000 this year they might as well pull the plug.People won't wait forever, that 100 bucks will mean nothing and they will go down the street and buy a Jeep.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

I understand the focus has been on constrained commodities, but for me the larger issue is dealer allocation. Together they spell MY22. Then the issue becomes when in 2022. Maybe April 2022? Maybe November 2022? With an early 7/14 reservation, that can be depressing.

On the bright side, I am spending time understanding how Bronco technology is migrating into the full line of Ford vehicles built for off-road adventures. I should have known this, but was laser focused on Bronco. I assume everyone has been impressed by the One Pedal Driving and the Trail Turn Assist functions. Did you remember how Ford has now incorporated those features into the F150 Tremor?

In many ways, the Bronco was a wow factor in July 2020. Front and rear lockers, trail camera, trail turn assist, one pedal driving, GOAT modes, Sync 4 all combined to make it a standout. Ford must have realized what buyers want in an off-road vehicle and seems to be incorporating many of these features into their truck lineup. Wait until we see the redesigned Ranger this summer. I suspect Ford will be creating many wow factors to consider.

Pakrat

Rank IV

Don't delete

Dec 15, 2020
Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
Jud
Last Name
Gutheil
I understand the focus has been on constrained commodities, but for me the larger issue is dealer allocation. Together they spell MY22. Then the issue becomes when in 2022. Maybe April 2022? Maybe November 2022? With an early 7/14 reservation, that can be depressing.

On the bright side, I am spending time understanding how Bronco technology is migrating into the full line of Ford vehicles built for off-road adventures. I should have known this, but was laser focused on Bronco. I assume everyone has been impressed by the One Pedal Driving and the Trail Turn Assist functions. Did you remember how Ford has now incorporated those features into the F150 Tremor?

In many ways, the Bronco was a wow factor in July 2020. Front and rear lockers, trail camera, trail turn assist, one pedal driving, GOAT modes, Sync 4 all combined to make it a standout. Ford must have realized what buyers want in an off-road vehicle and seems to be incorporating many of these features into their truck lineup. Wait until we see the redesigned Ranger this summer. I suspect Ford will be creating many wow factors to consider.
Agreed. Dealers over customers is not a great business model since there would be no Dealers w/o customers. How rad would a "roadmap" of dealer allocations be? I mean I've flown to Idaho and driven 7 hours home to save a few thousand on a vehicle because our local dealers think they have a captive market. I sure as hell would fly within at least a 12 hour drive or so to pick up a Bronco. Think of the business it would bring to dealers who don't have a large customer base (I presume all are allocated already). I mean if allocations were evenly spread to all dealers rather than by dealer size what a financial boon for some smaller dealers. As it stands we have no way of knowing allocations country wide. For 99.9% of us our local dealers have not shown us any loyalty by giving us priority so why should we be loyal?

Also on the bright side, this is giving extra time for other makers to catch up with the features that are making the Bronco so popular. I know we have some Bronco die-hards in here but I am by no means some Ford fan boy come hell or high water. If Toyota had the features that I'm jumping ship for I'd go Toyota all day every day. They have had almost a year already to put an amazing 4Runner or FJ on paper and at least for the 4Runner it is already long overdue, so who knows.