More Information on Chip Shortages and Bronco

Will you be editing your order to optimize for delivery time?

• Yes, I didn't need that Sasquatch package anyway.

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm going to be patient and get the Bronco I want.

Votes: 190 88.0%
  • I'm now paralyzed with indecision.

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

David

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

Bronco Semi-Conductor Chip Shortage?

By: Dusty Rhodes

Stories have recently surfaced indicating the new Bronco may be caught in the crosshairs of the global semiconductor chip shortage. The company said during last week’s quarterly earnings call that it expects to lose about 50% of its planned second-quarter production, up from a costly 17% loss in the first quarter.

Sources told Bronco Nation on Friday that it does not expect the 2021 Bronco production to be impacted by the chip shortage, sighting actions taken by the company to protect one of the most anticipated launches in recent history.

Attention is now shifting to solving parts availability issues for some of the most popular features, body-styles, and powertrains. Hard tops and the popular Sasquatch package remain a significant challenge for the company to meet. More consumers have opted for fully loaded and more powerful Broncos than anticipated.

Ford has indicated that additional production is on the way to meet demand for the Sasquatch package, expecting to be in place by late summer. However, hard top production at the new Webasto plant in Plymouth, Michigan remains an ongoing challenge.

As a result of these and other option availability constraints, consumers with earlier timestamps may find a Bronco in the driveway of a neighbor who ordered their vehicle at a much later date. It is important to note that Ford's production process is dynamic and based on a number of real-time factors including reservation timestamp, orders available for production scheduling, part availability, and the number of Bronco vehicles each dealer receives.

While each consumer’s timestamp is a key factor, the scheduling system at Ford surveys the list of orders until it finds a clean and buildable order. If your order has one feature that is constrained (e.g. Tow Package) or not available, it will be passed over for one further down the list that does not have any non-buildable options.

What can you do to get your Bronco sooner? Selecting options that are not constrained will expedite production timing. Common examples of available options include:

· 4-door
· 2.3L instead of a 2.7L
· Soft top vs. Hard top
· Big Bend vs Wildtrak

What items will likely delay my Bronco from being built sooner?

· Hard top
· Sasquatch package
· Tow package
· 2.7L engine

We understand these are some of the features that make Bronco appealing. For those of you willing to wait, Ford will build the Bronco you ordered, but it may not be as soon as you would like. For those of you wanting to move up in line, we recommend you consider removing some non-essentials or easy to install aftermarket features like trailer towing.

To make changes to your order, consult your dealer for more details or to amend your order. Orders may be edited until they are scheduled for production.

Here's a graphic to help explain commodity constraints:
Image 5-3-21 at 4.28 PM.jpg

Pakrat

Rank IV

Don't delete

Dec 15, 2020
Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
Jud
Last Name
Gutheil
Pretty dumb. Many buyers would go for options like the soft top if they could order their Bronco wired for the hardtop when it arrives. Personally don't know anyone who doesn't want both eventually.

Same goes for Sasquatch. If I could order the Bronco with the 4.70 gears and skip the other parts of Sasquatch I would! You can't get the 35's w/o the sasquatch either! It is half the reason to buy a Bronco over a Jeep. I have hated immediately dropping another $5k in wheels, tires, and re-gearing in my past Toyotas and Jeeps.

Based on their initial claims of reservations being the top priority, Ford should be holding back parts for each build as the reservation comes up. Instead as it stands now for example, someone who has a later reservation timestamp who doesn't order a Sasquatch might get their 2.7 L Badlands built with the MIC top before someone with the same build plus the Sasquatch. In the meantime, the Sasquatch parts become available for the earlier reservation holder but now the MIC has run out of stock so the vicious cycle repeats.

Last edited:

14U

Rank VI

Don't delete

Mar 3, 2021
Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Ford- we wanna do a road tour of the greatest Bronco builds we can offer.

Ford Patiently waiting first 24hr reservation holders from 10 months ago- would you be willing to purchase something less capable, so others can get what you ordered please ?

Sdakotabronco

Rank VI

Champion I

Oct 24, 2020
Sioux Falls, SD, USA
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

I guess my question is this: 2 dr is constrained. Is that because of the hardtop? I agree that if they would build my Bronco and wire/plumb it for the hardtop I would have no issue if they could deliver with the softtop. I would even go to pick up my hardtop later to avoid shipping (if allowed). I would of course purchase the softtop and even deliver to them to install (since it's not a factory option) and as long as I can get my hardtop its a win for Ford.

Rhiostatic

Rank V

Supporter I

Dec 21, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

JIT manufacturing + world events + new product with unknown average demand structure= product delays.

I feel bad for myself and want my Bronco, but having been in the boat Ford is in, I feel for them so much. The worst is the inability to accurately describe the situation to the customer base without making people go worst case on you and jump ship.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
TBD
Last Name
TBD
I will admit my Badlands can survive without Sasquatch and Lux package. My primary purpose in eliminating those two items was a $4,000.00 savings. My secondary reason was to seek delivery prior to April of 2022. Although I have an early 7/14 reservation, I am number 29 in line with a dealer allocation of 17. Crazy, but reality! I am concerned that MY22 could be as “goofy” as MY21. Those eliminations were done with an eye toward 2022.

14U

Rank VI

Don't delete

Mar 3, 2021
Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I don’t feel like Ford is putting out any effort to inform customers,
I haven’t seen anything from Ford asking for my patience.
E-Mail is so great compared to snail mail.
But I gues COVID has affected the ability to E-mail customers now.

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
USA
First Name
TBD
Last Name
TBD
I don’t feel like Ford is putting out any effort to inform customers,
I haven’t seen anything from Ford asking for my patience.
E-Mail is so great compared to snail mail.
But I gues COVID has affected the ability to E-mail customers now.
I believe Ford is caught between a rock and a hard place with the Bronco rollout. This was the first time they used a reservation system for potential buyers and a significantly revised order bank for dealers. They are discovering the challenges especially over the last couple weeks when they attempted “clean-up" of the WBDO system and discovered all the mismatches between MOD roof and priority code 99.

The best we can expect at this point is a hope that no news is good news.

14U

Rank VI

Don't delete

Mar 3, 2021
Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I believe Ford is caught between a rock and a hard place with the Bronco rollout. This was the first time they used a reservation system for potential buyers and a significantly revised order bank for dealers. They are discovering the challenges especially over the last couple weeks when they attempted “clean-up" of the WBDO system and discovered all the mismatches between MOD roof and priority code 99.

The best we can expect at this point is a hope that no news is good news.
I totally agree Buzz,
You are one of my favored peeps here.
I just personally feel like a customer is a customer. Sharing information is never a bad thing to do with your customer. I like you agree, that their supply issue is a massive mess and not their fault.
IMO, just gotta drop a line...

Hey Buzz, we haven’t forgotten you. We really do value you. Unfortunately we’ve had some supply issues that have affected build times. Please understand sir that we are doing out best.

David

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

Seems y’all are taking this about as well as I did in the interview.

One thing to remember is that these commodities restraints are dynamic and can change. We’re going to be reaching out to Ford on a regular basis for any updates and will keep you updated if the situation for any of these option constraints changes.

For now, hard tops, Sasquatch, and tow packages seem to be hardest hit with 2.7L engines coming up behind that. Currently, this seems to be affecting June and July scheduling, the effects on scheduling after that are still to be seen. As the article states, some of these constraints are expected to be dealt with by late summer, not 2022.

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

Seems y’all are taking this about as well as I did in the interview.

One thing to remember is that these commodities restraints are dynamic and can change. We’re going to be reaching out to Ford on a regular basis for any updates and will keep you updated if the situation for any of these option constraints changes.

For now, hard tops, Sasquatch, and tow packages seem to be hardest hit with 2.7L engines coming up behind that. Currently, this seems to be affecting June and July scheduling, the effects on scheduling after that are still to be seen. As the article states, some of these constraints are expected to be dealt with by late summer, not 2022.
Thank you @David

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Champion I

May 31, 2020
Allegan, MI, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Heckman
Member #

I understand the supply issues they are having. At my work, we are having an extremely difficult time getting replacement parts to keep our manufacturing and packaging machines running.

I’m an early day 1 reservation holder and I have all 4 of those shortage in my build. I will be spending just shy of $60k to get a bronco exactly the way I want it.

I will not compromise on my build just to get my bronco sooner.

My advice to Ford is to build the broncos for the FCTP program without any of those options that are in the shortages.

Us consumers who reserved last July need to be a priority before vehicles go into the FCTP program.

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

I understand the supply issues they are having. At my work, we are having an extremely difficult time getting replacement parts to keep our manufacturing and packaging machines running.

I’m an early day 1 reservation holder and I have all 4 of those shortage in my build. I will be spending just shy of $60k to get a bronco exactly the way I want it.

I will not compromise on my build just to get my bronco sooner.

My advice to Ford is to build the broncos for the FCTP program without any of those options that are in the shortages.

Us consumers who reserved last July need to be a priority before vehicles go into the FCTP program.
I completely agree sir. I am not a early reservation holder, but am a similar build.

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

As the article states, some of these constraints are expected to be dealt with by late summer, not 2022.
So let's just say Late Summer (which to me is August or Labor Day Weekend to close out summer), then add the 6-8 week build to delivery that's at best Mid-Oct maybe even Nov delivery. If they can do "late summer" even UGH :mad::mad: