MIC Roof Panel Idea I'd Buy if Available

Sandersd
Jul 26, 2021

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

I ordered a 2 door Badlands and am bummed that I will have to wait so long to receive it, but looking on the bright side hopefully they'll have the MIC top perfected by the time mine is built. Lots of folk are wanting a soft top but I'm not one of them since I live in Houston and like air conditioning. I had an '89 YJ when I lived in Denver with a soft top and the half doors and later, a bikini top which I loved as it kept me out of the direct sun but in the open air.

I don't understand why some enjoy driving around with the top down under a blazing sun but we all have our preferences and if you like it - more power to you. I also have issues with skin cancer so that's all the more reason for me to stay under a top.

As I was contemplating the mesh top Ford is offering it occurred to me how cool it would be if they made replacement removable panels with mesh that one could simply swap out for the solid panel without having to remove the top. For me that would be the best of all worlds - hard top, open top with panels removed for open air, or mesh panels to shield from direct sun while still allowing an airy feeling.

What do you think? Would you buy it?
Bike007b
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2021

Rank V

Jul 27, 2021

I would much rather they offered a solid hard top with no removable panels and the window delete that was teased at one point.

I realize if the panels work as advertised there won't be any issues with leaks but as someone who has no intention of taking the top off, it would be much more reassuring to have a simple, solid hard top option, just like the first gen.
TK1215

Life is a Highway

Jul 27, 2021

I would much rather they offered a solid hard top with no removable panels and the window delete that was teased at one point.

I realize if the panels work as advertised there won't be any issues with leaks but as someone who has no intention of taking the top off, it would be much more reassuring to have a simple, solid hard top option, just like the first gen.
I floated that idea out a while back for the same reason. Solid call
ChetC

Rank IV

Jul 27, 2021

I ordered a 2 door Badlands and am bummed that I will have to wait so long to receive it, but looking on the bright side hopefully they'll have the MIC top perfected by the time mine is built. Lots of folk are wanting a soft top but I'm not one of them since I live in Houston and like air conditioning. I had an '89 YJ when I lived in Denver with a soft top and the half doors and later, a bikini top which I loved as it kept me out of the direct sun but in the open air.

I don't understand why some enjoy driving around with the top down under a blazing sun but we all have our preferences and if you like it - more power to you. I also have issues with skin cancer so that's all the more reason for me to stay under a top.

As I was contemplating the mesh top Ford is offering it occurred to me how cool it would be if they made replacement removable panels with mesh that one could simply swap out for the solid panel without having to remove the top. For me that would be the best of all worlds - hard top, open top with panels removed for open air, or mesh panels to shield from direct sun while still allowing an airy feeling.

What do you think? Would you buy it?
I’ve seen a retractable mesh top somewhere. I think the best roof top option would be a tinted glass top!

Rank 0

Jul 27, 2021

I just need a hard top that works. I'm not going to switch to a soft top but I would switch to a single-piece hard top in an instant.
Wildtrak, 2.7L V6, Mic Top, Black
ChetC, TK1215