MIC Replacement Experience

LagoCJ
Jan 25, 2022

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2022

If this is covered elsewhere, please point me that way....

After getting the notification email/snail mail back in Oct about MIC replacement, and waiting for parts, the dealership finally called and said that my top has been sitting there and they were planning to send it back if I didn't want it. (?!?!?!?!?!)

Cleared that mess up and now scheduled to get the replacement done, next week. Apparently, it is an outside supplier in the area that will be doing the work and it will take three days.

Anybody gone through this yet? Feedback? Gotchas?
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
ResidualGenius
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2022

Road trip!!!

Jan 25, 2022

If this is covered elsewhere, please point me that way....

After getting the notification email/snail mail back in Oct about MIC replacement, and waiting for parts, the dealership finally called and said that my top has been sitting there and they were planning to send it back if I didn't want it. (?!?!?!?!?!)

Cleared that mess up and now scheduled to get the replacement done, next week. Apparently, it is an outside supplier in the area that will be doing the work and it will take three days.

Anybody gone through this yet? Feedback? Gotchas?
How does it take 3 days to swap the mic top? Is there more to than undoing the latches, popping the first 2 rows out, and removing the bolts in the back section?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
EvlNvrDys

Life is a Highway

Jan 25, 2022

How does it take 3 days to swap the mic top? Is there more to than undoing the latches, popping the first 2 rows out, and removing the bolts in the back section?
Maybe they swap out windows? Saving some money by Ford wouldn’t surprise me.o_O
Jakob1972, SlashRacer

Rank V

Jan 25, 2022

Maybe they swap out windows? Saving some money by Ford wouldn’t surprise me.o_O
Ugh. It's gotta be something like that. I'm pretty sure a couple people could remove the old top and put the new one on in less than an hour.
SlashRacer

Rank V

Jan 25, 2022

Even if they are replacing side windows and back tailgate window, it is a 1/2 day job at most, I would challenge them on the 3 day estimate
Bronco 202?, TK1215

Life is a Highway

Jan 25, 2022

Even if they are replacing side windows and back tailgate window, it is a 1/2 day job at most, I would challenge them on the 3 day estimate
They do need a little time to test fit, drive and then adjust…..oh and wash the mud off
1Five1 Garage, Crawler Green

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2022

I was told that all of the glass and hardware are maintained from the old top. The reason this came up was the fact that I have had deep tint applied to the rear windows and tailgate. I had asked if the dealership was going to have the new top re-tinted and they advised that the windows would not be replaced. Basically, all hardware that can be retained, from the old top, will be taken off and re-used. Windows, wiper wiring, rear washer plumbing, latches/clamps, etc. It will take three days to pull everything off, mount it on the new top, then place and water test the new top seals. Hoping that someone has been through this to tell me how it went.
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
SlashRacer, Bronco 202?

Rank I

Jan 25, 2022

Per the TSB the rear top quarter glass will be new and must be installed prior to customer arrival, it indicates approx 0.6 hrs for this. When the customer arrives with their vehicle it indicates another 1.1 hrs to remove and replace hard top panels and hard top rear cap assembly which includes swapping the liftgate window glass. There is an additional 1.3 hrs allotted for any roof racks or accessory swaps.
SlashRacer, Bronco 202?

Rank V

Jan 25, 2022

What dealer? Some dealers handle this in house others are outsourcing it. There have been some less than professional looking window sealant/adhesive work people have posted about.
95 Eddie 5.8 Windsor 2021? nope, 2022?, wait 2022.5 HOSS3.0 equipped WildTrak/LUX/Leather/MIC. 7/14 RES

Life is a Highway

Jan 25, 2022

What dealer? Some dealers handle this in house others are outsourcing it. There have been some less than professional looking window sealant/adhesive work people have posted about.
I would like to see those images. If true, no bueno

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2022

Rank V

Jan 25, 2022

Why can"t WEBASTO make the same quality top for the BRONCO as they evidently do for JEEP.

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2022

Ok, so what am I missing, We are replacing a hard top, with a hardtop, from a removable top vehicle. I dont see how it can take hours/days for this.
What about soft top, IF I get a hardtop from ford, the dealership will take hours/days to put on? I watched the BN videos, it shouldn’t be that hard nor take that long. @Laura @David can a video be made of switching the tops out? Since quite a few of us have/will want to do this. Or did I just missed this video..
Hey @OBXBroncoGuy, we've made videos on removing both the soft and MIC tops. We have not yet made a swap video. It's a great idea and we'll add it to the list of upcoming content.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2022

Per the TSB the rear top quarter glass will be new and must be installed prior to customer arrival, it indicates approx 0.6 hrs for this. When the customer arrives with their vehicle it indicates another 1.1 hrs to remove and replace hard top panels and hard top rear cap assembly which includes swapping the liftgate window glass. There is an additional 1.3 hrs allotted for any roof racks or accessory swaps.
Can you post that TSB # for us ? Thanks for the info

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2022

Why can"t WEBASTO make the same quality top for the BRONCO as they evidently do for JEEP.
Maybe Ford wanted something Cheaper, and boy did they get it. Personally I think it’s funny Ford just screwed themselves. And yes us in the Process.

Rank V

Jan 25, 2022

Maybe Ford wanted something Cheaper, and boy did they get it. Personally I think it’s funny Ford just screwed themselves. And yes us in the Process.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply...highly possible

Rank I

Jan 25, 2022

Can you post that TSB # for us ? Thanks for the info
21B49 attachment 2 has labor allowances
Bronco 202?

Libations MOD

Jan 25, 2022

WTF 3 days to remove and replace the MIC GTFOH It takes maybe 10 minutes to remove it
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending

Rank V

Jan 25, 2022

Ok, so what am I missing, We are replacing a hard top, with a hardtop, from a removable top vehicle. I dont see how it can take hours/days for this.
What about soft top, IF I get a hardtop from ford, the dealership will take hours/days to put on? I watched the BN videos, it shouldn’t be that hard nor take that long. @Laura @David can a video be made of switching the tops out? Since quite a few of us have/will want to do this. Or did I just missed this video..
If they are reusing the windows, they have to be re caulked and perhaps the caulking has to set for 48 hours. Just hope they do a good job.

Rank VI

Feb 02, 2022

Update - Took the Bronco in, yesterday. Short story - it is back home, with the original top.

Facts I discovered:
- The tops are shipped to the dealership and each one is intended for a particular owner's Bronco
- The tops are shipped with the rear side glass installed (confirmed when the top was unpacked)
- The rear, flip up, glass is NOT included and will be transferred (along with the wiper gear/wiring/plumbing) from the old top
- The tops are packed in a heavy plywood shipping container....but, they are still subject to damage (make sure to have the dealership check before trying to install)

Given the above facts, the dealership was planning to have my Bronco for two days to do the work of removing the old top, removing the back glass and gear, install the back glass in the new top, seat the new top, water test and then tint the side glass to match what was installed, originally. However, the plan fell apart when they opened the crate that was designated for my Bronco. The crate was damaged in shipping, and the top was scratched, and possibly cracked. So, my baby is back in my garage, safe from the coming ice storm and the replacement top will be shipped back to Webasto, for try number three.....

One day there will be business school text 'books' written about the incredible success and failure of the 2021 Ford Bronco program. Let's hope those books tell the story that Ford eventually got it together and the Bronco went on to have decades of happy customers.
TK1215, EvlNvrDys