Promoter II

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

Does anybody know where the tops are being made at? US? China? India? ect?

Reactions: TK1215

BDDavidn

Rank II

Advocate III

Mar 27, 2021
Travelers Rest, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
I'm a Ford parts employee and they've put up some new videos on the "Ford Tube." There is info in the videos about switching between a Hard and soft top. So that's some what promising.

Reactions: TK1215 and PSUTE

CaptainSlow

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jun 11, 2021
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Pelnar
I'm a Ford parts employee and they've put up some new videos on the "Ford Tube." There is info in the videos about switching between a Hard and soft top. So that's some what promising.
With regard to "switching", do you mean switching options within an order? Or physically changing them out on the vehicle?

CaptainSlow

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jun 11, 2021
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Pelnar
Forgive me if this question has been answered, but I cannot find anything to clarify. I was under the impression that the Bronco 2-Door comes standard with the MIC hardtop. I spoke to a dealer earlier this week and was told the soft top is the standard on the 2-door. Which is true? Thanks in advance.

Norderwurm

Rank V

Supporter III

Apr 11, 2021
O'Fallon MO
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Forgive me if this question has been answered, but I cannot find anything to clarify. I was under the impression that the Bronco 2-Door comes standard with the MIC hardtop. I spoke to a dealer earlier this week and was told the soft top is the standard on the 2-door. Which is true? Thanks in advance.
Mic is the only option for 2 door. As of now, you can't get a soft top from the factory for 2 door

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

MIC is standard, dealer is standard uneducated

Pakrat

Rank IV

Don't delete

Dec 15, 2020
Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
Jud
Last Name
Gutheil
Does anybody know where the tops are being made at? US? China? India? ect?
Webasto
It is a German company. They opened a plant in Plymouth Michigan. The surprising part to me about this is Germans tend to be great at engineering and efficiency. How they can screw the pooch so bad on a simple molded hardtop is mind boggling. I mean damn.... get a bottled water company like Dasani or Arrowhead to make them. We'd all be wheeling by now!

Anyhow, here is a background article on the new plant. Apparently it was scheduled to open by the end of 2020 to manufacture Ford hard tops. They obviously have had the design specs for some time and this is their first major production run out of that plant.
German auto supplier to open plant employing 400 in Plymouth Twp.

LR48

Rank V

Promoter III

Nov 13, 2020
Winter Park Fl
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
Member #

Webasto
It is a German company. They opened a plant in Plymouth Michigan. The surprising part to me about this is Germans tend to be great at engineering and efficiency. How they can screw the pooch so bad on a simple molded hardtop is mind boggling. I mean damn.... get a bottled water company like Dasani or Arrowhead to make them. We'd all be wheeling by now!

Anyhow, here is a background article on the new plant. Apparently it was scheduled to open by the end of 2020 to manufacture Ford hard tops. They obviously have had the design specs for some time and this is their first major production run out of that plant.
German auto supplier to open plant employing 400 in Plymouth Twp.
There have been several articles regarding Webasto and the Bronco tops. It seems that Webasto was not fully prepared to enter the US market and according to a number of sources Ford engineers have effectively taken over the Webasto facility and are working to get production and personnel issues sorted. Fingers crossed they do get everything up and running soon.

lonzo71

Rank VI

Promoter II

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

Michigan is a part of the problem. Between unemployment benefits and restrictions, I'm sure isn't helping. Ford should have jumped on this sooner and made a choice about going elsewhere for the tops. Not sure if there is anybody else that can make them, but We're now in the middle of Jun and finding it harder to believe its going to take 6 months or more to fix this problem.

PSUTE

Rank V

Don't delete

Oct 2, 2020
Negro Mountain
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Johnson
Pretty confident that other the the tops for the FEs all of the production will be for the 2 doors. Not interested in a soft top...

richtor

Rank IV

Supporter III

Jan 17, 2021
Sonoma County, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Munson
The wiring/plumbing connection is not just for the rear wiper... bottom line, I'm not making changes or removing options for the sake of getting a Bronco faster. I want the MIC... utilize Bestop Sunrider during warmer months... Bestop Mesh Bimini when I want to go fully topless.

Just my humble opinion, but I do not understand why the requisite electrical/plumbing connections is dependent upon your top choice... it should be there regardless.
I want to go topless doorless until november but Ford won't build my Bronco. Theres a decent JL Rubi out there now, if its still there in mid july I may jump on it....
Or if a big deal goes through in the next few weeks.

lonzo71

Rank VI

Promoter II

Feb 20, 2021
Virginia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Damba
Member #

I want to go topless doorless until november but Ford won't build my Bronco. Theres a decent JL Rubi out there now, if its still there in mid july I may jump on it....
Or if a big deal goes through in the next few weeks.
IF i didn’t have a nonrefund on the bronco, I’d really think of jumping on it too.IF I wait more than a year, I just might. I don’t think a non refundable can last that long without producing sometime that was said. Not sure, I would have to talk with a lawyer on that.