Manual Transmission

Don't delete

Jun 11, 2021
Dearborn, Mi
First Name
FordMotor
Last Name
Company
I received my Badlands in May 2022, 3 days after taking possession had to put it in the shop because of the faulty wastegate. It took 7 weeks for Ford to send the part. The day I picked it up from the dealer and was driving away the slave cylinder broke, another faulty part. Burned up my clutch plate. I have driven a manual for over 30 years and have never had these kind of issues before. Really hopeful that is the last faulty part on my Bronco. Two months of no car is ridiculous.
Hello there. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to see what I can do to assist with your Bronco's cylinder issues.

NT AUTOMOTIVE

Rank V

Don't delete

Jan 7, 2022
California, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
DeRossett
Yikes. I ordered a manual BL 2dr as well. Haven't heard hide nor hair from FMC for almost 2 years, so maybe it's a blessing. I finally said "FK IT" and just bought a sweet Tacoma w manual trans too! [wooohoo!] Guy at the dealer in TN said they've taken in 3 Broncos so far in trade. While I think Ford nailed it on the concept and design to bring back the Bronco, all of these massive amounts of problems- and yes, let's be honest, there are TONS of problems- tell me that the Bronco ain't ready for prime time. Ford needs to get their s##t together. If they had done so, they would own this 4WD space and truly be a Jeep killer IMO..
Congrats on your new MT taco!! Toyota great car. I've owned many. I traded 4Runner for bronco. The bronco is a great vehiclefor most but not all. If you got a v6 in 2021 or MT in 2022 or 5% of owners with various other issues you are SOL. It happens.

My 2.3 MT BL 4D MGV with some clean mods is running perfect since purchased 8 months ago. Only thing I wish it had was better tie rod steering system and bumper mounted spare for my 37s. Otherwise very happy.

The bronco is also WAY more comfortable and drives much better than Toyota.
vNQGRAD3-12843341.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
Screenshot_20211002-184512_Messages.jpg

Jboohound

Rank II

Supporter I

Feb 15, 2022
California, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Monfredini
Congrats on your new MT taco!! Toyota great car. I've owned many. I traded 4Runner for bronco. The bronco is a great vehiclefor most but not all. If you got a v6 in 2021 or MT in 2022 or 5% of owners with various other issues you are SOL. It happens.

My 2.3 MT BL 4D MGV with some clean mods is running perfect since purchased 8 months ago. Only thing I wish it had was better tie rod steering system and bumper mounted spare for my 37s. Otherwise very happy.

The bronco is also WAY more comfortable and drives much better than Toyota.
View attachment 37885View attachment 37886View attachment 37888
That's a beautiful ride my friend. I hear ya. I really want the Bronco to excel. But after some soul searching, I realized the Taco is more for my needs. I'm a ski-bum and river hound so light off road and good traction is really all I need. Hauling a decent amount of gear is a plus. I've already got a solid trail rig with my old YJ so that base is covered. I'm not canceling my Bronco order as I'll maybe roll the dice if I ever get a build date ..lol. Anyway- love the Bronco - congrats!

Reactions: NT AUTOMOTIVE

AZshot

Rank IV

Promoter II

May 26, 2021
Southwest US
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Allen
I have a 2021 4door with the manual. It's been great, and I've just got back from 1500 miles, many of them in the high Rocky Mountains doing some pretty serious trails. I have about 7,000 miles now. The post above about "shifting differently" doesn't make sense to me. It's a Getrag manual, like all of them. Like all manuals from the past 50 years really. I get about 225,000 miles on a clutch usually, from my other trucks and cars....all manuals.

Reactions: GYoung03

AZshot

Rank IV

Promoter II

May 26, 2021
Southwest US
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Allen
Yes, normal fill hole in the side, you remove a plug, feel if there is fluid below the hole edge.

AcesandEights

Rank V

Champion I

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman

Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

No, that wouldn't have helped. If you have ever seen or taken a manual transmission, you would understand why. They either work quietly and reliably, or they don't. And once they no longer do, that usually is a bad thing. You could lose a gear tooth and have it still work. But for the noise to get worse and progress to it locking up that indicates likely something coming loose, maybe a chip out of gear, or bearing, metal shavings moving around the transmission making things worse, changing tolerances so that eventually, the gears don't go where they should, or a bearing binds in a bore.

Manual transmissions are so simple, and the gears are made from hardened steel that is very strong, but brittle. An issue during manufacturing like a dropped gear or a gear striking something can easily result in a later failure. Automatics have all sorts of failure modes due to simple little o-rings that if not in the right place can kill the whole transmission. Not so for the manual. They are essentially heavy metal and either work well or don't.
There are other issues, like misaligned bores the shafts fit into. It wouldn't be the first time Ford had a problem like that. In the 70s the RAD series had this issue.

mike8675309

Rank V

Promoter III

Nov 24, 2021
Minnesota
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harms
There are other issues, like misaligned bores the shafts fit into. It wouldn't be the first time Ford had a problem like that. In the 70s the RAD series had this issue.
I assume that many of the bores are cast into the housing, then machined true by robotic fixtures. Thus misaligned bores would indicate possible warpage in the casting that caused a locating spot to be off or an issue with the machining (i.e. a worn machining tool). This is because the problem isn't widespread.

Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I assume that many of the bores are cast into the housing, then machined true by robotic fixtures. Thus misaligned bores would indicate possible warpage in the casting that caused a locating spot to be off or an issue with the machining (i.e. a worn machining tool). This is because the problem isn't widespread.
Not loaded correctly in the work holding device would cause it. Not assembled correctly is another possibility.The rear housing could be out of alignment with the front.