Manual transmission with the bigger 2.7l v6 engine

Jaywhy
Dec 20, 2020

Rank III

Dec 20, 2020

I really enjoy driving a manual transmission, but hate having to settle for the small 4 cylinder engine. I am paying a lot of money for my new Bronco I wish I could have it my way and be 100% happy with it. Is there any one else who feels the same?
Rusty Shackleford, Crowza
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 20, 2020

Yep, you are not alone on this one. The manual trans option was one of the features I was really excited about since is so rare these days. I keep holding out hope Ford might change their mind on this as they did on the ManSquatch request, however, is not likely since the manual buyers represent such a small percentage of the Bronc customer base. I would not be shocked if it is phased out at some point in the future due to lack of sales. Hope I am wrong on that, but is why I can't and won't miss the opportunity now even if I have to settle for the smaller engine.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Mangelo, Speed Devil

Rank VI

Dec 20, 2020

I really enjoy driving a manual transmission, but hate having to settle for the small 4 cylinder engine. I am paying a lot of money for my new Bronco I wish I could have it my way and be 100% happy with it. Is there any one else who feels the same?

You are not alone; I suspect more than 50% of the potential Bronco buyers feel that way. Many may want to keep their Broncos for many years and do not want to drive a vehicle they feel was a compromise.

Although my B&P Bronco may not be what I originally thought I would buy, I am happy with my final build. I sense I am in a minority group of buyers who feel this past year has forced our lives to shift into neutral due to the pandemic. It is my hope by the summer of 2021 we will feel the energy of rebirth and I want my Bronco to take me on adventure travel. Personally, I do not want to lose another year with my travel plans.

In a way, life is all about making good decisions. Those decisions must be good for you and your family, not based on what others think.
Slownstddy, ATC Enthusiast

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 20, 2020

You are not alone; I suspect more than 50% of the potential Bronco buyers feel that way. Many may want to keep their Broncos for many years and do not want to drive a vehicle they feel was a compromise.

Although my B&P Bronco may not be what I originally thought I would buy, I am happy with my final build. I sense I am in a minority group of buyers who feel this past year has forced our lives to shift into neutral due to the pandemic. It is my hope by the summer of 2021 we will feel the energy of rebirth and I want my Bronco to take me on adventure travel. Personally, I do not want to lose another year with my travel plans.

In a way, life is all about making good decisions. Those decisions must be good for you and your family, not based on what others think.

I'm not sure how much of a minority it is, but I agree.

They really let down the enthusiast by not mating the 6 to the manual.
Bronco_Girl, tlowell01

Rank V

Dec 20, 2020

100% agree with you. Neutering the manual transmission with limited and late availability options is a heart breaker for me. If Ford pulls a 180 and says mansquatch v6 available day one, there wouldn't be anything Jeep could do to swing me back. Unless they mated the 392 with a manual, set the price at ~42k, and offered 0% financing for the life of the loan.
tlowell01, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 20, 2020

Based on the number of threads complaining about something, I'd say most people that post are disappointed about some aspect of the new bronc. Alone, you are not.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronco_Girl, tlowell01

Rank V

Dec 20, 2020

They should pair the HD version of the 7sp with the V6 and charge an "up charge" to go from the regular 7sp to the HD. Just like they do to go from 4cyl to V6.
IL21Bronco, tlowell01

Rank 0

Dec 22, 2020

I’d be more than happy to pay the extra $1600 for the v6 with manual, vs the “new” charge ford is charging for the 10sp when upgrading to the v6.
tlowell01, AcesandEights

Rank I

Dec 22, 2020

All of this is without even driving a 2.3L Manual. Assumption of it's Capabilities is a Gray Area.

The 2.7L is no Slouch in a F Series, It should be a Screamer in a Bronco. The 2.3L (Auto) works Great in a Ranger, add a 7 Speed behind it, it will be Fine in the Bronco.

The EcoBoost isn't the Old 8 Plug 2.3L, Give it a chance.
SlvrSurfRidr, srick76

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

It's not just about hp/tq numbers on a dyno.
Bronco_Girl, ATC Enthusiast

Rank V

Dec 22, 2020

All of this is without even driving a 2.3L Manual. Assumption of it's Capabilities is a Gray Area.

The 2.7L is no Slouch in a F Series, It should be a Screamer in a Bronco. The 2.3L (Auto) works Great in a Ranger, add a 7 Speed behind it, it will be Fine in the Bronco.

The EcoBoost isn't the Old 8 Plug 2.3L, Give it a chance.
Both motors produce more power than the thirsty v6 in my 99 4runner. My concerns are with longevity. I've heard troubling things about replacing two expensive turbos every 50k, and "ecoboom" failures with the 2.3 in mustangs, after unimpressed owners installed upgraded air filters and tunes. I'm planning on occasionally towing a small trailer with dirt bikes or a sxs or camping gear. I'm worried about overstressing the 4 banger and killing the engine before my loan ever gets paid off. I want to keep this thing forever. My 4 runner has 214k miles and it's only major issue is rust. I think the only people concerned with either engine being "enough" are those clamoring for an N/A V8
SlvrSurfRidr, Pirate

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

I want a N/A V8, but not because it's necessarily more powerful than either the 2.3L or the 2.7L. My I-6 had 190 hp. It moved my Jeep over any obstacle. I'd like the reliability and longevity of the I-6, or a proven V-8.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank I

Jan 04, 2021

Both motors produce more power than the thirsty v6 in my 99 4runner. My concerns are with longevity. I've heard troubling things about replacing two expensive turbos every 50k, and "ecoboom" failures with the 2.3 in mustangs, after unimpressed owners installed upgraded air filters and tunes. I'm planning on occasionally towing a small trailer with dirt bikes or a sxs or camping gear. I'm worried about overstressing the 4 banger and killing the engine before my loan ever gets paid off. I want to keep this thing forever. My 4 runner has 214k miles and it's only major issue is rust. I think the only people concerned with either engine being "enough" are those clamoring for an N/A V8
Yes the Interweb is full of Exploded Eco Bombs.

The truth is, aside from 2011/2012 3.5L Eco Boosts which had some "Oil Making" properties, and the 1.5L 4 Cylinder's Head Gasket issues, the Eco Boosts have been next to trouble free. And we sell a ton of them. Leaving out 2011/2012's I can count on 1 hand the number of Turbos replaced, and still have enough fingers to button up my shirt. They have been "Proven"

The 2.3L Eco Boost will be Plenty of engine in the Bronco, the 2.7L should be a real Screamer. After Market Tweaks? I would stay away from personally, (they have already been Tweaked). But everyone will want a Little More than their Buddy's has.

How come no concern with the use of the 10 Speed Auto, you know the one used behind the F150's (all Engines) rated to tow 13,000lbs? You know, the same 10 speed that GM only installs in their Upper End Trucks.
GaryB2220, PSUTE

Rank V

Jan 04, 2021

Yes the Interweb is full of Exploded Eco Bombs.

The truth is, aside from 2011/2012 3.5L Eco Boosts which had some "Oil Making" properties, and the 1.5L 4 Cylinder's Head Gasket issues, the Eco Boosts have been next to trouble free. And we sell a ton of them. Leaving out 2011/2012's I can count on 1 hand the number of Turbos replaced, and still have enough fingers to button up my shirt. They have been "Proven"

The 2.3L Eco Boost will be Plenty of engine in the Bronco, the 2.7L should be a real Screamer. After Market Tweaks? I would stay away from personally, (they have already been Tweaked). But everyone will want a Little More than their Buddy's has.

How come no concern with the use of the 10 Speed Auto, you know the one used behind the F150's (all Engines) rated to tow 13,000lbs? You know, the same 10 speed that GM only installs in their Upper End Trucks.
Definitely not interested in autos. Wife has a 2019 mitsubishi and I can't stand the way it shifts, especially coming home where I have to make a sharp turn up a short but steep block. Goes into eco mode automatically any chance it gets. Have to step hard on the petal to abandon eco mode and scream our way up the hill. Ice heard the 10 so in the ranger also likes to keep it in the highest gear possible to maximize fuel economy, which is the same issue I have with the mitsubishi. I feel like an annoyed back seat driver every time I drive an automatic in town. I miss my 5 speed suzuki
Bronco V-8

Rank IV

Feb 07, 2021

I would really like the stick and 2.7l!
SlvrSurfRidr, TEEDEE

Rank VI

Feb 07, 2021

Not really here nor there for me. The HP/torque of the 2.3l 4 cyl is more power than any vehicle I've ever owned and more than any Bronco from the factory. I have no doubt it will have more than enough power for anything I plan on doing :).

However, I know others' opinions will be different, and I hope Ford does it's best to accommodate what enthusiasts will want in their rigs.
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
srick76, Bronco_Girl

Rank IV

Feb 07, 2021

Not really here nor there for me. The HP/torque of the 2.3l 4 cyl is more power than any vehicle I've ever owned and more than any Bronco from the factory. I have no doubt it will have more than enough power for anything I plan on doing :).

However, I know others' opinions will be different, and I hope Ford does it's best to accommodate what enthusiasts will want in their rigs.
Very good point! I think with the waiting, and first time ordering a vehicle, I just second guess options I pick!
srick76, Bronc96

Home, home on the range

Feb 08, 2021

While I believe the 2.3 will be fine, if the 2.7 was offered with the manual I bet more people would choose that option. Just from reading different threads it seems there are people talking about it all the time. Most are going with the automatic 2.7 due to wanting more power (and not wanting to wait for mansquatch). I'm not squatching mine and won't be off roading much so the 2.3 manual will do it for me.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
SlvrSurfRidr, Bronc96

Rank 0

Apr 05, 2021

Went down this manual transmission rabbit hole for months as I've always had manual transmissions, including a 1968 Bronco for 25 years and a 2005 Mustang GT for 15 years. I made my plea to Mike Levine Ford North America Product Communications manager via twitter reading in an article somewhere that might help. I went back and forth with the local dealership and it seems if Ford does go manual, it likely won't be for a while, especially given the order numbers for manual. I'll bet the V8 will come too but not for years either,. There's no way I can do the smaller engine after my time in V8s, it's all about getting a great Bronco ASAP and hey better gas mileage is a plus.

I've been waiting for this heritage Bronco all my life as I've loved my '68 but getting the heritage Mustang GT was the best of both worlds, heritage style and modern muscle. I am dying to get off road with a modern vehicle's abilities and heritage style, so this new Bronco has been a dream. I am throwing in the towel on the manual transmission and for the first time in my life going automatic.

With all that said, I am pretty beginner at off roading and the more I research, explore some of the more technical feats, seems like automatics may be the way to go for the harder stuff? I love the crawl mode in my 1968, in fact I have it geared 4 on the floor so in the city I start from a stop in 2nd, the crawl mode is always a blast when I need it. But watching what the new Bronco can do at Moab and that crazy "Mickey's Bath Tub", I'm starting to think the automatic may be a blessing in disguise.

Either way I am all in on my Badsquatch 2.7 Automatic and I can't wait to see what's possible once I get it out into nature. Grateful for the group and all that can be learned here.
Michael
"All heritage Ford all the time"
14U, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 05, 2021

I like the comments on people driving through that, one guy said, "just drive around it"
Bronco_Girl, Deano Bronc