Make sure to upgrade the intercooler first!

Speed Devil
Apr 23, 2021

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Apr 23, 2021

From Mustang6g, about the 2.3t

"According to my former Engineering professor, alot! I grabbed my stock parts out of the basement and headed to his house for some beers and BBQ (rained out unfortunately so we got some pizza) and Had a look at some things in the garage.

First is the much maligned intercooler. The Stock unit in his exact words "Cheap garbage but at least it's Cheap!"
My phone did not capture the IC well as the light was dim but I did mangage to find some images online that were perfect.

His notes.
"Far too small and light for a gasoline turbo application, might be ok on a Small Diesel, No where near enough thermal mass, Tube and fin is terrible for Air to Air applications, but it's cheaper to manufacture."

So we pulled the end tanks off, Not hard by the way and he mused, "I'll give those 5 years before they leak."

"Terrible flow, the Air has to make a sharp 90 degree turn here, creating a high pressure area blocking flow, the volume and design of the endtanks do not provide adequate flow to the top, the botom 3rd is doing the most work here. Plastic is a good insulator so will not provide any real thermal mass either."

"Nearly half of the area is blocked, fin density and surface area are minuscule, the only advantage is strength for weight here, It's like they used a design for a water to air heat exchanger and built it out of aluminum. This is a major restriction, and one that does not provide an airspeed increase like a venturi."

We talked about the detrimental effects on an engine and he said, "if you were sitting in traffic for like 10 minutes on a warm day, the road opened up and you were to give it gas, this would actually heat up your air charge and could cause DET if you had low quality fuel, I don’t think you could pull timing fast enough".
I told him about the blown motors on this forum and he asked me how many had stock intercoolers. As far as I'm aware no engines have blown with upgraded ones! His exact words “I would expect a cooler of this size and design to support 250 hp at relatively low boost. At 310 and 18 psi on a small turbine like this, this is a danger to the engine”.

“The Primary concern developing this part was cost, nothing else, not even performance. The thing that really jumps are the end tanks, unless they are used in something else that is highly space limited, they could have been designed much better at no additional cost or complexity to manufacture. I bet Ford produces these at around $10-12 a unit, they could have made it much better at 0 cost unless they had tons of these cores and end tanks lying around,” (as far as I can tell this intercooler is Mustang specific) and the could have nearly doubled the efficiency by spending 25 cents a car more, but that is a bean counter issue, well over $1million in profits over the lifespan of the car. The only way this passed hot weather certification was by avoiding boost.”

While we're at it, make sure to upgrade the Chargepipes as well, look at the hot side from Mishimoto vs OEM

1619153562608.png

Obviously there's more to go over, but in general, whether you're 2.3t or 2.7tt, you might as well upgrayedd the OEM intercooler with something a lot better. I stress this often, but we'll be getting our beasts by summer and while we're not all Leadfooted Andretti's here, can't hurt to be safe, right?

Anyway, enjoy
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Reformed Wrangler, Labronoco
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

WOW

Great information. Heat is your biggest enemy. I have made the analogy before …. Desktop computers last twice as long as laptop computers before failure … because the desktops are more efficient at heat disbursement.

Sure the effects of the smaller intercooler will probably not show up for 4 or 5 years ( 50,000 miles) …. but if you plan of keeping the Bronco longer than that... this is a must have upgrade.
the poacher, Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

Good call outs! I’m going to be in the market for a new CAC for my 3.5EB F150 soon. The heat soak deal is a real thing. The other part with the computer controlled motors is that the heat from the turbo heats the intake air and the cylinder too. As this heats up, the computer dumps more fuel to cool the motor.

The one thing I do disagree with is that sitting in traffic, the turbos are not putting boost in and not generating a lot of heat. Heat comes from sustained, heavy boost. The computer will pull boost when temps get high through the waste gates, dump fuel to cool the motor. Watching RPMs will help keep heat out. Bogging the motor while having load will be the biggest heat issue by far. High boost, low RPMs for the water pump.

Places where heat soak in the CAC could be an issue are long hill climbs, successively with a heavy load. This will dump a lot of heat from extended boost periods and the factory design will hold the heat. I’m looking at 2000-2500 RPM climbs. Start getting that motor into the R’s and it will stay cool.

In high water temp situations, the computer will pull all boost and go into “restricted power mode” to allow the motor to cool.
Commodore, Speed Devil

Moab or bust!!!

Apr 23, 2021

So what kind of money are we talking about to feel comfortable about engine longevity? I'm not talking any power upgrades but just peace of mind upgrade?
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
LR48, Grooticus

Rank V

Apr 23, 2021

If there is a drop in option, i would definitely explore it. If i have to cut stuff up, I'll wait for the warranty to be over.
Munky, doublebullout

Apr 23, 2021

So what kind of money are we talking about to feel comfortable about engine longevity? I'm not talking any power upgrades but just peace of mind upgrade?

Mishimoto Intercooler+Pipes combo is $1,175 retail, then to answer @5280Bronco 's question, plug and play bolt on; you're simple replacing the stock unit with a better unit, also the "Good enough" pipes with Aluminum pipes. There'll be other kits, but yeah, listed results from link above:
  • Direct-fit for 2019+ Ford Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost
  • Dyno-proven max gains of 13.6 wheel-horsepower and 13.9 lb-ft of torque
  • 7°F reduction in outlet temperature over stock intercooler
  • Intercooler reduces restriction by 24% over stock intercooler
  • Intercooler features a 46% increase in core volume
  • Intercooler pipes improve flow by 25.6% on the hot side and 16.6% on the cold side
  • Intercooler features a durable bar-and-plate core for superior durability and performance
  • Cold-side pipe and intercooler feature integrated bungs that can be drilled and tapped for boost sensors or water-meth injection
  • Cast aluminum end tanks are precision TIG welded to the core for increased pressure tolerance and reliability
  • Does not interfere with active grille shutters or adaptive cruise control
  • Includes Mishimoto Silicone Boots with DuraCore™ Technology
  • Patent pending
  • Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

ALSO should of included an Oil Catch Can. Every 2k miles with my old Ecoboost Mustang , I'd get a $tarbuck$ Espresso cup and drain the gunk oil out, look like I had ordered a single shot.
LR48, Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

I think people should pay $75 for an OBDII reader with Bluetooth and actually monitor what the sensors are seeing before spending $1k on a new CAC. This way they have a baseline when starting to make improvements. But I know in reality, not many people will do this.
Soupcook, George Ellis

Gladesmen

Apr 23, 2021

That’s a good looking kit. I always thought that IC was a bit small and the plastic ends makes me scratch my head. Seems like a bad design.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Commodore, Speed Devil

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

So what you're saying is 14k miles out of warranty, I'll need to spend $1,200 plus labor (maybe $2,000) to keep my rig running right? What about turbos, they last...about the same?

That 3.6L Pentastar is sounding better everyday.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Commodore, Micahman

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 23, 2021

So what you're saying is 14k miles out of warranty, I'll need to spend $1,200 plus labor (maybe $2,000) to keep my rig running right? What about turbos, they last...about the same?

Yeah.
Commodore

Rank IV

Apr 23, 2021

Do these reliability issues also affect the 2.7?
2017 Nissan Titan XD 4x4
2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend 4dr, cactus gray, soft top, 4.27 rear end
June 7--no wait, June 28 build date
Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

The 2.7 has an intercooler and two turbos, no?
Commodore, ResidualGenius

Apr 23, 2021

Intercooler shouldn't* affect warranty, most dealers wont bat an eye, and I'm positive it'll work bone stock. Intercooler's basically an additional radiator specially there for the Turbo, nothing more or less

As far as the turbo, it'll be fine in general, should have tons of life. Again, personal example is my '07 Audi, St2/3 JHMotorsports parts/tune on its stock turbo at 109k miles without issue, knock on wood.

As far as 2.7tt, cant put a price on peace can you? I'm assuming its the same with just adequate enough to last for awhile, assuming you're not gonna build it all up, and there'll be better replacements.

*Corrections
Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with intercoolers. An intercooler may impact a warranty, as much as any other aftermarket component. Replace your radiator with another unit and any manufacturer can claim it doesn't cool as well as the stock unit. Likely, probably not, but a comment that the intercooler doesn't affect warranty is pretty broad.

I worked for a company (one of the largest in the country) administering warranty claims for one of the largest dealer networks in the country, so I'm pretty well versed in how warranties work. I was also ASE certified in several things (a couple A-series and B-series certs), so I'm pretty familiar with engines and the ancillary components, intercoolers, turbos, etc.
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Apr 23, 2021

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with intercoolers. An intercooler may impact a warranty, as much as any other aftermarket component. Replace your radiator with another unit and any manufacturer can claim it doesn't cool as well as the stock unit. Likely, probably not, but a comment that the intercooler doesn't affect warranty is pretty broad.

I worked for a company (one of the largest in the country) administering warranty claims for one of the largest dealer networks in the country, so I'm pretty well versed in how warranties work. I was also ASE certified in several things (a couple A-series and B-series certs), so I'm pretty familiar with engines and the ancillary components, intercoolers, turbos, etc.

That's pretty cool that you're certified and worked with the company that administrates warranties, and I did correct what I wrote to say shouldn't, although there's also Magnuson-Moss. I don't see how an Intercooler is any worse than a CAI or Catback, it's not like slapping on some aftermarket Garrett turbo now, more preventive maintenance.

Also really comes down to Dealers, some are more lenient with mods than others. Ask the hypothetical "How would you feel if I were do do x" and go from there. My Truck has Full exhaust (Shorties/High Flow Cats the size of a soda can/Catback), CAI, 87mm TB, rear sway bar and end links and they do the maintenance without issue. Also, these are Bronco's, and like Jeeps, they're gonna be modded, so they're gonna be more tolerant than say if you got something like a Land Rover or Lexus and started to mod it
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

Agreed.
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 23, 2021

That article was about the Mustang, from 5 YEARS AGO! It is meaningless.
JJACK502

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

But, is it meaningless to owners of Mustangs five years old? Just kidding.

Apr 23, 2021

Well, let's look at the Ranger's intercooler, same engine but newer and basically what we'll get:

1619211689629.png

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2020/04/ford-ranger-intercooler-2019-rd-pt1/

Date: 4/9/20:

Key parts

"The first feature we examine on any heat exchanger is often the end tanks. Like most stock heat exchangers, the Ranger’s intercooler end tanks are made from plastic. While plastic is economical for manufacturing thousands of trucks, it’s brittle, and over time heat and the elements will only make it weaker. When you push 20+ PSI of boost pressure into a weakened plastic end tank, it doesn’t end well – nobody wants a 2.3L formerly-turbocharged engine. Our intercooler end tanks will be cast aluminum for greater strength and durability. The stock end-tank design is simple, but we’ll have to pay special attention to the driver-side end tank as it houses the Ranger’s boost pressure sensor. Casting the end tanks will also allow us to optimize the internal structure for optimal flow."

"Moving away from the end-tanks, we find the heart of the intercooler and another component we can improve: the core. The core of the stock Ranger intercooler looks hardy from the outside, but looks can be deceiving. The large rectangular tubes resemble a bar-and-plate construction, but upon further inspection, this stock intercooler is a plain tube-and-fin construction. Like the plastic end tanks, tube-and-fin cores are economical for mass production, but they leave a lot on the table when it comes to performance and strength. The thinner tubes of tube-and-fin intercoolers are more prone to punctures -that’s not ideal for an off-road oriented truck, especially with its intercooler right out in front "

"Durability aside, it’s also important to keep heat soak in mind when modifying truck that may spend a lot of time at low road speeds, whether in city traffic, or carefully navigating a trail. The low mass of a tube-and-fin intercooler is a detriment in these situations, as the cooler can’t absorb as much heat. When airflow through a tube-and-fin intercooler is low, there’s nowhere for the heat to go and the charge can’t be cooled. To improve both the durability and the performance of our intercooler, we’ll be taking the looks of the stock intercooler to the next level by using a bar-and-plate core. A bar-and-plate core will make our intercooler a little heavier than the stock unit, but the drastically improved heat dissipation and durability will be worth a few pounds. We’ll fill our core with fins tailored to balance flow with heat dissipation for an intercooler that can take anything mother nature, or your right foot, can throw at it. "

Mishimoto on the chargepipes, 1/29/21

1619212090112.png

"Overall, Ford’s take on intercooler piping is relatively robust. There’s much less plastic than we would typically find on an OEM design and more liberal use of silicone on both sides of the intercooler. By employing silicone instead of standard rubber, Ford’s pipes are much more flexible and durable than other stock designs since silicone is much more resistant to heat and dry-rotting. "

"Some components still fall into the standard tropes of OEM manufacturing, specifically on the hot-side piping. Starting at the turbo, we find the only section of this piping still utilizing the typical rubber construction. Ford utilized plastic injection-molded piping after that coupler to integrate a muffler and mounting provisions for the bypass valve. Ford opted for plastic injection molding because it lowers the manufacturing cost and time to mass-produce such a complex component. On the whole, this section should be reliable. Plastics have come a long way, but they can still become brittle, especially after the severe abuse experienced in an engine bay. The other downside to this section of the hot-side piping is the size. The neck-down in piping diameter, plus the resonant chamber, act as bottlenecks and impede flow through the system."

"What does this mean in terms of power, though? Typically, it’s uncommon to see much of a power increase with pipes alone, especially on the stock tune. Since there’s no increase in boost pressure, the increased flow isn’t as effective. Also, since the Ranger operates on a speed-density tune, the ECU will simply adjust fueling to compensate for the increase in air volume. In the case of the 2.3L EcoBoost Ranger, the pipes do end up making a difference. Since we were able to add enough flow through the intercooling system, the ECU’s compensation resulted in a 9.7 WHP and 9 WTQ gain with stock mapping. "
1619212231915.png

See, all these years later, it's still similar to the 5yo thread on Mustang6g there
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 23, 2021

But, is it meaningless to owners of Mustangs five years old? Just kidding.

I'm sure Ford upgraded the cooler but more importantly I'm not spending any money on hot rodding a turbo motor in a utility vehicle.All those tests are done above 3000 rpm I want more torgue off idle to 3000, not going to happen, there is no boost available at idle.
FireOne, Commodore