Michigan, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

REI Kingdom 6
Nemo wagontop
My personal tent is a Gazelle T4-no vestibule but you can also get one of their screen tents-set up in 2 minutes with 1 person and no instructions (well after you do it once)

The gazelle is large though and its packed size is large as well. On our bronco it'll be strapped to the roof or in a gear box to free up the back.

paul rondelli

Rank V

Don't delete

May 21, 2020
Suwanee, GA, USA
What do you mean by “car camping”?

I’m not a person who can stay in one spot to long. Trying to get everything we need for overlanding.
[/QUOTE

It all boils down to one thing. If you take your camping gear to the camp site in a car ... you are car camping. If you carry your gear to the campsite on your back ... then you are not car camping. Either way it is both camping ... but there is a huge difference from car camping in a over crowed public camp site ... and boon docking.... however boondocking is still car camping to me ... but I'm a little hard core.

Car campers could really care less how much their tent weighs .... Backpackers live and die by tent weight ... I only backpack with a hammock and 1/2 tarp .. less than 3 pounds .. but I'm in Georgia and it doesn't get cold.

Last edited:

Padams7

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 22, 2020
Brooksville, FL 34601, USA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

We are looking at getting a new tent, trying to decide how big of one we need, and recommendations for the tent. There will be 2 adults and 1 large dog(100lb lab) on every camping trip. In some of the trips, there may be a teenage son with us.

Our trips will be with the bronco, so all of our gear has to fit in the back of it.

How big of a tent would you get? Do you you fit everyone in 1 tent or do you get a second tent for when the teenager comes on the trips with us?

We are not interested in roof to tents.
I have a Gazelle T4, it is a large 4 person tent. It fits diagonal in the Jeep with the seats folded down. I will probably strap it to the roof.

I am 6’1” and can stand up inside it. The doors are kinda wonky, half moon type doors. But the tent sets up in like 30 seconds and breaks down in under 90.

They have a T3 which is smaller (3 person) and it may fit straight in the back.

the poacher

Rank V

Don't delete

Jun 14, 2021
whistler, b.c.
First Name
john
Last Name
brooks
Have you looked at the tent offered by Ford in their Accessories catalogue? They have the this offering:

1625350756410.png

1625350819002.png

Part No
VAT4Z-99000C38-A

$379.00

Details
  • Use the cargo area as additional sleeping spaces
  • No need to unpack – simply keep all your gear in your vehicle and sleep in the tent
  • Roomy 9′x9′ tent sleeps 4-6 people
  • Plenty of headroom with over 7′ in the center and 6′ at the corners
  • Attach to your vehicle to use the cargo area for storage or additional sleeping spaces
  • Transform the vehicle tent into a ground tent by fully removing the vehicle sleeve
  • Steel and fiberglass pole structure is easy for one person to set-up
  • Bathtub style floor for superb waterproofing
  • Full length tape seamed, rain fly with a 6′x 6′ awning for shade
  • Storm flaps in windows for protection and privacy
  • 2 Inside gear pockets for storing items
  • Lantern holder and gear loft hanging from ceiling
  • Expandable carrying bag for storage
  • 2 Large entrance doors and 2 mesh windows
  • Cyclone venting system and 2 skylights for superb ventilation

You can go to this link for more info...

Sportz SUV Tents by Napier | Customize Your Ford

Metal-tech 4x4

Rank III

Champion III

Apr 12, 2021
Pacific North West
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

I am with @BlackDog on the REI Kingdom 6 tent. I use that tent for when my wife is camping, you can stand up in it and cots fit nicely in there. I also like it since it does not require staking down as not every place we camp you can get stakes in the ground.

When its just me, its a 2 man Mt. Hardware Nibus. They now make a newer one but it looks about the same. Small very compact and again no stakes needed to set it up. I just ran the Rubicon trail 2 weeks ago and no way you can plan putting any stakes in the ground on that trail. Night one at Buck Island Lake, it was on a full granite slab!

REI Kingdom 6

My. Hardware 2 man

Running the Rubicon, sorry no shot of the tent. Just the 1972 FJ40 ruing a F motor and 4 speed manual on the rocks. (This is why I have a 4 cylinder/manual on order for my new Bronco!)

Attachments

Last edited:

Metal-tech 4x4

Rank III

Champion III

Apr 12, 2021
Pacific North West
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

No nighttime pee trips for you!
Jim
@jimFish my Aussie buddy camping in the Northern Territory said he woke up for a “midnight pisser” unzipped the rooftop tent and the base of the ladder was a 11’ Saltwater Croc! I ask what he did and in typical Aussie speak “well I had a piss on the old boy and went back to bed”. It was gone in the AM, but his wife made him go look around first before she would come down! Roof top tents are key when your part of the food chain sleeping on the ground.

Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I can't see how those tents that attach to you vehicle will keep water out.

Metal-tech 4x4

Rank III

Champion III

Apr 12, 2021
Pacific North West
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

I can't see how those tents that attach to you vehicle will keep water out.
Water, Mud, Snow, Sleet or on this over-landing trip all 4! AND you can put the good ones away wet and the sleeping area stays dry.

Just like boots, tents are not a place to go cheep on. Good nights sleep is so well worth it.

Same thing for ground tents, quality tents take care of you. (My Mt. Hardware tent is over 10yrs old and I get about 25 nights of use per yr on average with it, still going strong)

Attachments

Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Water, Mud, Snow, Sleet or on this over-landing trip all 4! AND you can put the good ones away wet and the sleeping area stays dry.

Just like boots, tents are not a place to go cheep on. Good nights sleep is so well worth it.

Same thing for ground tents, quality tents take care of you. (My Mt. Hardware tent is over 10yrs old and I get about 25 nights of use per yr on average with it, still going strong)
I'm somewhat familiar with tents/camping. But those tents (like in post #28)that slide over the back of the vehicle can't keep water from tracking under it and running in unless the rain gutter catches it and directs it to the ground.

Metal-tech 4x4

Rank III

Champion III

Apr 12, 2021
Pacific North West
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

I'm somewhat familiar with tents/camping. But those tents (like in post #28)that slide over the back of the vehicle can't keep water from tracking under it and running in unless the rain gutter catches it and directs it to the ground.
Oh ya. I am 100% with you on that. Not a half tent/truck fan.

LoneRanger

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Williston, FL, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Incognito
Member #

weve splurged and purchased 4 Bush Company Alpha's and three of their 270 awnings for our trip to Alaska next year. Very high end stuff there, they make our old tents and awnings look really really bad. The quality is through the roof, but it costs. Kind of like fine rifles or optics. Buy once Cry once.

Metal-tech, my buddy used your sliders and bumpers on his Lexus, you guys make good stuff. what is your game plan with the new Bronco?

L.R.

Reactions: SlashRacer

AZshot

Rank IV

Promoter II

May 26, 2021
Southwest US
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Allen
I've backpacked, motorcycle toured through Mexico, mulepacked in wilderness. I've slept in caves, bivy sacks, old cabins, in the bed of my truck. Used every type of tent imaginable. But most of this is out West, where it seldom rains. Cost and quality goes up with expected conditions. Starting with a Kelty, Coleman, or such, notice the non-aerodynamic shape of this one. It would work great for light camping, in warm weather, with low winds or rain.

If you have rain, get one that is big enough to dress/undress in, and has a really good fly. If you expect snow and wind, get one with more poles, vs less, like an "expedition grade" North Face etc. Nothing worse than having a cheap $250 special blowing up against you during a monsoon rain. Or having to bang off snow or risk the tent roof collapsing. Also, how much camping will you do? A few times a summer, get a cheaper tent. A trip across Alaska for 7 weeks? Get a better one. If a tent is streamlined, has 4 aluminum poles, and a good fly, and a good maker, it's going to last and work in inclement weather. Both these examples have flys of course, but how good is the fly, look around, compare. For more robust, get something like this:

But - don't get too big. The Broncos don't have much storage space. No need to get a 6-man tent for 2 people. We bought a 6 man off Craigslist last winter to go to the beach in California, when I found the zipper of my old 4 man was kaput. Paid only $75, it worked fine for low winds. But it was heavy, huge, and took up most of the back storage space in my Rav4. Like a sailors seabag....you don't need that much tent.

Irony - going into the wide open spaces, then putting a tent on top of your vehicle. I don't do rooftop tents either.

Last edited: