Looking At Tents - Need Advice

SlashRacer
Jun 12, 2021

Road trip!!!

Jun 12, 2021

We are looking at getting a new tent, trying to decide how big of one we need, and recommendations for the tent. There will be 2 adults and 1 large dog(100lb lab) on every camping trip. In some of the trips, there may be a teenage son with us.

Our trips will be with the bronco, so all of our gear has to fit in the back of it.

How big of a tent would you get? Do you you fit everyone in 1 tent or do you get a second tent for when the teenager comes on the trips with us?

We are not interested in roof to tents.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Padams7, TK1215

Rank VI

Jun 12, 2021

I am also interested in suggestions here as I would love to start getting back into enjoying the outdoors with the new Bronc. I am debating between a rooftop for convenience vs a traditional ground tent.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jun 12, 2021

I would recommend a 4 person tent for you, your other and your dog. I've always been a fan of Kelty, so I would recommend the Kelty Grand Mesa, then get a smaller 1-2 person tent for the teen. Modern tents pack up so small, you really don't have to worry about size once packed.
I am not a fan of the roof top tents. Trying to navigate a ladder in the night half asleep to pee, or trying to balance on the edge and clear the ladder while peeing does not appeal to me. Better and cheaper just to get a traditional tent.
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank V

Jun 12, 2021

We are looking at getting a new tent, trying to decide how big of one we need, and recommendations for the tent. There will be 2 adults and 1 large dog(100lb lab) on every camping trip. In some of the trips, there may be a teenage son with us.

Our trips will be with the bronco, so all of our gear has to fit in the back of it.

How big of a tent would you get? Do you you fit everyone in 1 tent or do you get a second tent for when the teenager comes on the trips with us?

I've been looking at various tents, mainly the rooftop style. Since you're talking about a dog coming along and you're looking for a typical ground tent...

Tuff Stuff Overland (https://tuffstuff4x4.com/) has some great graphics depicting the various sized RTT's and how people fit in them but the dimensions on their diagram give you a good feel for scale even if you want a ground tent. Basically, the bigger the better unless you get a second tent for the "part timer".

If you're getting the towing package and running out of room inside, you could get a hitch mounted cargo rack or box for additional storage. It can fit in the hitch receiver even with the spare tire on the back.

Good luck!

Attachments

Deano Bronc, TK1215

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 12, 2021

I always multiply the number of occupants by 2 for tent sizing if the tent is not being carried on my back.
Deano Bronc, BroncoPA65

Rank VI

Jun 12, 2021

First off, I will give you a few thoughts to consider prior to buying a ground tent. At the end of this posting, I will link you to the two tents I own. Please keep in mind, my tent selection was based on a group of specific needs, your needs may differ.

My needs were:
  • The tent would need to facilitate pitching it in all kinds of weather, rain, snow, wind.
  • It would need an integrated footprint as well as an integrated rain fly.
  • I needed two vestibules. One for dry gear and one for wet gear.
  • It would need to be free standing.
  • It had to be light weight and compact in size.
  • It would need to be available in at least a two person and one person size.
I arrived at the above by first determining where and when I wanted to tent camp. I needed the tent to accommodate wilderness sites which do not have improved tent sites. I also did not want to be limited to camping in fair weather.

In many ways our Bronco will be able to take us to location which are off the beaten track. Some may have fragile ecosystems where free standing will be beneficial.

Over the years my tent camping has been based in Alaska, Washington, Northern New England, and Eastern Canada. Those locations can have wet weather, high winds, and fragile ecosystems. My tents have served me well while minimizing my impact on the ecosystems where I camped. They will work well when I camp out of my Bronco 2-door.

Staika • 2 person tent • Hilleberg
Soulo • 1 person tent • Hilleberg
LoneRanger, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 12, 2021

Check out Tentsile tents. They are like taught hammocks. Hang them between trees, between cars, between posts, between rocks, between rocks, cars and trees etc!

These are the best off ground sleeping you can get….

I’ve used them in caves (avoiding rock floors) and higher in trees. Fun stuff!
TK1215, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Jun 12, 2021

Without writing a whole bunch of information o

I will keep it short and simple. My experience is based off of scouting and general camping, not extreme minimalist hiking.
Unless you are hiking your gear, and every pound is important, bigger is better. A 4 man vs a 8 man tent is not that much bigger in the storage department. I would also recommend something with a canopy or add on patio room for dining and or pet zone. Something like this:
20384961.jpeg

You get what you pay for, so research is your friend. All the best, Tits
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank VI

Jun 13, 2021

No need to get all crazy about weight, since you're essentially car camping. Is your terrain dirt, or rock, or sand? You'll want to decide if you want freestanding or not, and then breathability versus waterproof. If you need both, you need a tent with a rainfly. Honestly, car camping, whatever is easy to set up.

As state above, the Kelty tents are of decent quality and the Grand Mesa 4 is probably the perfect tent for what you describe. You probably don't need to look any further, actually.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Deano Bronc, BroncoPA65

Road trip!!!

Jun 13, 2021

No need to get all crazy about weight, since you're essentially car camping. Is your terrain dirt, or rock, or sand? You'll want to decide if you want freestanding or not, and then breathability versus waterproof. If you need both, you need a tent with a rainfly. Honestly, car camping, whatever is easy to set up.

As state above, the Kelty tents are of decent quality and the Grand Mesa 4 is probably the perfect tent for what you describe. You probably don't need to look any further, actually.

What do you mean by “car camping”?

I’m not a person who can stay in one spot to long. Trying to get everything we need for overlanding.
Bronc96, AcesandEights

Road trip!!!

Jun 13, 2021

First off, I will give you a few thoughts to consider prior to buying a ground tent. At the end of this posting, I will link you to the two tents I own. Please keep in mind, my tent selection was based on a group of specific needs, your needs may differ.

My needs were:
  • The tent would need to facilitate pitching it in all kinds of weather, rain, snow, wind.
  • It would need an integrated footprint as well as an integrated rain fly.
  • I needed two vestibules. One for dry gear and one for wet gear.
  • It would need to be free standing.
  • It had to be light weight and compact in size.
  • It would need to be available in at least a two person and one person size.
I arrived at the above by first determining where and when I wanted to tent camp. I needed the tent to accommodate wilderness sites which do not have improved tent sites. I also did not want to be limited to camping in fair weather.

In many ways our Bronco will be able to take us to location which are off the beaten track. Some may have fragile ecosystems where free standing will be beneficial.

Over the years my tent camping has been based in Alaska, Washington, Northern New England, and Eastern Canada. Those locations can have wet weather, high winds, and fragile ecosystems. My tents have served me well while minimizing my impact on the ecosystems where I camped. They will work well when I camp out of my Bronco 2-door.

Staika • 2 person tent • Hilleberg
Soulo • 1 person tent • Hilleberg
It’s a good thing I was sitting down when I clicked on those links. Not sure I want to spend that much money on a tent that will be used 2-6 times a year.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc
OBXBroncoGuy

Jun 13, 2021

I’ve been “camping” for a long time, and I agree with double the size. If its you, the wife and dog with sometimes the kid, you’ll want a 4-5 tent, and get the teen their own.
You know yourself and family and where you go. Get what is required/needed and enjoy the rest
Bronc96, Commodore

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jun 13, 2021

Cool a tent with a screened porch.
Bronc96, Commodore

Life is a Highway

Jun 13, 2021

Without writing a whole bunch of information o

I will keep it short and simple. My experience is based off of scouting and general camping, not extreme minimalist hiking.
Unless you are hiking your gear, and every pound is important, bigger is better. A 4 man vs a 8 man tent is not that much bigger in the storage department. I would also recommend something with a canopy or add on patio room for dining and or pet zone. Something like this:
View attachment 14347

You get what you pay for, so research is your friend. All the best, Tits
The perfect two person tent!
Bronc96, Commodore

Life is a Highway

Jun 13, 2021

I am also interested in suggestions here as I would love to start getting back into enjoying the outdoors with the new Bronc. I am debating between a rooftop for convenience vs a traditional ground tent.
Im getting older and my willingness to climb up and dow the ladder ain’t what it used to be! ;)
Bronc96, Commodore

Northwest Bronco

Jun 13, 2021

I've been running a rooftop tent for six months now. Here's my thoughts after ground camping in the past. With the RTT the vehicle handles poorly at highway speeds and the MPG has gone down. The weight on the roof is noticeable. Ok for trails but not good for rock climbing if that's your thing. Once it's set up your vehicle is stuck where it is and / or you can't put your tent in the best place in the campsite. You do need to upgrade the mattress's on almost all RTT's. It's best to create a storage system in your garage. I wouldn't recommend keeping it on your vehicle between trips.

On the flip side, it's comfy and there's a sense of security when in it. Depending on the tent, you can store your bedding in it freeing up space in the vehicle. They're fast to set up and take down.

In conclusion, I'd say RTT's are ideal for snow, muddy, and critter prone conditions. Off grid camping as well. If you're summer camping only.....a ground tent will be best.

Here's a photo of my set up and what I'd recommend for a ground tent. Hope this helps!

Rooftop Tent
Ground Tent

c87dace0-70fa-41ba-bf30-4219f3f017f9.jpg

download.jpg
Northwest Bronco Channel
Bronc96, TitsLaRue

Rank V

Jun 13, 2021

For you, your wife and dog, a 4 person tent.

When the kid joins, a 2 person tent of their own.
Bronc96, Commodore

Gladesmen

Jun 13, 2021

I’m too old to sleep on the ground. So here is the hard sided tent I built. Now that the boys are older teens I figured I could add a RTT to it or they can sleep in a ground tent. And I like my air conditioner in the Texas summers so I usually find a location for a base camp then explore from there. 67C185B4-B12E-48BB-B310-80D70B9B51A3.jpegAAB0F8D5-A31F-4210-939D-2D26FD9F0434.jpeg
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronc96, Commodore

Rank V

Jun 13, 2021

Florida Camping is the best. enjoying time with the wildlife.

yv6rcvu98zu51.jpg
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
smknjoe, bdawson24

Rank VI

Jun 13, 2021

I would recommend a 4 person tent for you, your other and your dog. I've always been a fan of Kelty, so I would recommend the Kelty Grand Mesa, then get a smaller 1-2 person tent for the teen. Modern tents pack up so small, you really don't have to worry about size once packed.
I am not a fan of the roof top tents. Trying to navigate a ladder in the night half asleep to pee, or trying to balance on the edge and clear the ladder while peeing does not appeal to me. Better and cheaper just to get a traditional tent.
Completely agree. I have a kelty 4 man which is really a 2 man with gear. Aluminum poles make it lighter for backpacking. I can put it up in 3 minutes. My son has the 2 man version really a single. Both great tents unless you want to stand up.
Commodore, SlashRacer