Long Tube Headers

V8_Power
Jul 06, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 06, 2020

Ok Guys so Im in the process of putting Hedman long tube headers on my 95 bronco 351w. Im going to post up pictures and what I used as I go but I.m starting off today looking for advise. I have manifold studs snapped off in the head and I am having a really hard time getting them out. Wasn't expecting this to be a problem since they are cast iron heads but this thing is becoming more difficult than a 5.4! Anyone ever come across this and if so how to you get them out?
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 06, 2020

Rank 0

Jul 07, 2020

I had to take the heads to a machine shop and get them machined out I tried everything couldn’t get it out on my own
V8_Power

Rank 0

Jul 07, 2020

I had to take the heads to a machine shop and get them machined out I tried everything couldn’t get it out on my own
I was worried that people would say that, I really don’t want to have to tare the motor down. If I do pull the heads off though I’m thinking about replacing them. Summit sells rebuilt heads for $250 a piece 8584AA76-2254-49AD-92D6-29D81F9251AB.png

Rank 0

Jul 07, 2020

Yeah I know it’s a head ache but I did the same thing but I still had my originals machined and I kept them as a just in case lol I hoard my parts because you never know when you’ll need them , I also took it to a machine shop cuz I was already getting frustrated and didn’t wanna destroy them mine was sold to me with the bolts snapped and they jb welded it all back together it held for months and one day started a huge leak so you can imagine the mess I had to get through in the first place lol , hope it all works out

Rank 0

Jul 07, 2020

Yeah I know it’s a head ache but I did the same thing but I still had my originals machined and I kept them as a just in case lol I hoard my parts because you never know when you’ll need them , I also took it to a machine shop cuz I was already getting frustrated and didn’t wanna destroy them mine was sold to me with the bolts snapped and they jb welded it all back together it held for months and one day started a huge leak so you can imagine the mess I had to get through in the first place lol , hope it all works out
Yeah I was thinking about drilling them myself and just putting jb weld on the stud if I hit water but I was worried about leaks and I see you didn’t have good experience with that yourself

Rank 0

Jul 08, 2020

Yeah save yourself the hassle of down the line having to fix it again lol and having to do that tear down
V8_Power

Rank V

Jul 13, 2020

Drilling out the broken studs is a real pia. Some times they will come out easy and can be done while in the vehicle. Also expect to have the 4 corner intake manifold bolts to snap as they are most likely corroded and weakened. They are even harder to extract.
I have been using the header studs on both of my 5.8 for years now. Helps that the stud goes into the head farther than the header bolts and the exposed stud is a fine thread. It takes a few times to get them tight and to stay tight but then they last for a long time.
'21 FE 2-door CG, '96 EB leather 5.8L, '68 Explorer 5.0 swap
They call me Dave. FSBI 2019 BSCW 2020, 2022 BSCE 2021

Rank 0

Jul 13, 2020

You will save money by having a Machine shop redo your heads and you can shave 10-20 thousandths of to boost your power at the same time. Put a new Holley throttle body on with the money you save. The big question how many miles on the motor? Don't shave if over 100K

Rank 0

Jul 13, 2020

its got 135k which is why I was thinking about the reman heads if I have to buy new. Gonna Try Again with the welder this weekend if I have time

Rank 0

Jul 13, 2020

135 K is not bad mileage , if it has been taken care of. I actually had the same issue and had a Local Muffler shop R&R three studs, the downside I had to have him install my shorty Headers which labor cost was about$60.00/ stud and $200.00 for Header install. Much quicker than pulling the heads.

Rank 0

Jul 13, 2020

135 K is not bad mileage , if it has been taken care of. I actually had the same issue and had a Local Muffler shop R&R three studs, the downside I had to have him install my shorty Headers which labor cost was about$60.00/ stud and $200.00 for Header install. Much quicker than pulling the heads.
Yeah I'm hoping I can get them out, also my snap on dealer told me he might be able to get a hold of a variable stud drilling template if I cant get them out with the welder

Rank 0

Jul 14, 2020

Depending on where you live there are mobil guys that remove broken bolts. Im in So Cal and have used Bolt Man Eric for broken exhaust bolts as do a lot of dealers
951 264-9177 does a great job ,did a broken front cover bolt for me the other day.
Carl
V8_Power

Rank 0

Aug 12, 2020

Ok Guys so Im in the process of putting Hedman long tube headers on my 95 bronco 351w. Im going to post up pictures and what I used as I go but I.m starting off today looking for advise. I have manifold studs snapped off in the head and I am having a really hard time getting them out. Wasn't expecting this to be a problem since they are cast iron heads but this thing is becoming more difficult than a 5.4! Anyone ever come across this and if so how to you get them out?
Easiest thing I did was take the front cap of the bronco off so you can get to the heads and you don’t have to yank them off or pull the engine out. Heat up the broken bolt With a bottle torch and use bees wax then a reverse drill bit and go slow and it will back out. Option b is drill and tap or buy a bracket kit. When installing new bolts even if the old ones came out fine clean the threads in the head so they go in easy.

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2020

My 1996 just became smog exempt this year. This was been on my list for a decade or more... but always put it off because of the fear of creating more work... for something that is really not broken. Keep us updated because she just hit 175,000 miles and long overdue for a high flow cat and upgraded headers. I always was told that the shorties are easier to fit than the long tube... especially on the passenger side?

Rank 0

Aug 12, 2020

My 1996 just became smog exempt this year. This was been on my list for a decade or more... but always put it off because of the fear of creating more work... for something that is really not broken. Keep us updated because she just hit 175,000 miles and long overdue for a high flow cat and upgraded headers. I always was told that the shorties are easier to fit than the long tube... especially on the passenger side?
Short tubes are much easier to fit and easier to make the rest of the exhaust for, I dont mind doing the extra work so I wanted the sound of long tubes. I was not expecting it to be this difficult when I took it apart but I ended up pulled the heads off this last weekend. Couldn't get the old studs out and I wasn't about to try drilling 6 studs in the engine bay. Pretty sure I am going to order new heads this week. How rusty is your bronco? do you know if the manifolds have ever been replaced?

Rank VI

Aug 13, 2020

Here is what scares me.... don't want to have to drop 1,000 on a new set of heads... just to get a better sound.
header 1.jpgHeader 2.jpgheader 3.jpg

Rank 0

Aug 13, 2020

Yeah I won’t touch that if I were you, mine looked similar to that and I just ordered new heads last night, reman heads and all the gaskets came out to around 800

Rank VI

Aug 14, 2020

They have been on there 25 years... so I guess that 5 or 6 more really wont matter. That is about when I plan to pull the 302 out and do a refresh. My recommendation to anyone attempting headers on a 25+ year old vehicle would be to pull the motor for easy... extended access..... and pray.
V8_Power, Deano Bronc