Lights stay on too long after engine killed

Bronclahoma
Apr 14, 2021

Rank III

Apr 14, 2021

I think I've see something about this, but did a search here and didn't find a thread. The headlights stay on way too long after I kill the engine. So long they get hot and I can hear and feel a fan in can covering both headlights. This just seems like too much unnecessary battery drain. Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix?
14U
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021

Rank V

Apr 15, 2021

How long is a long time?
They heat up? Or just stay hot from driving and being on?
Perhaps safety in that feature if it gives you light getting from the car to the house?
Seems completely uneccessary beyond 5 secs.
Bronclahoma, 14U

Member 2541 Jerry

Apr 15, 2021

How long is a long time?
They heat up? Or just stay hot from driving and being on?
Perhaps safety in that feature if it gives you light getting from the car to the house?
Seems completely uneccessary beyond 5 secs.
My wife’s sport has a timer adjustment in the “settings” area.
I “assume “ ours will too.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
benjaminkrawiec, AcesandEights

Libations MOD

Apr 15, 2021

I think I've see something about this, but did a search here and didn't find a thread. The headlights stay on way too long after I kill the engine. So long they get hot and I can hear and feel a fan in can covering both headlights. This just seems like too much unnecessary battery drain. Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix?
Change it in your settings
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
ChuckO, AcesandEights

Rank III

Apr 15, 2021

I have it set to 20 seconds in settings. Max setting is 120 seconds. I just ran to OKC and when I got out the lights went off in a few seconds. Not sure what is going on. Is anyone else hearing a fan on the led lights run after turn off your car. Just for kicks I checked my mileage in this 52 mile trip and it was 28.8. I didn't expect this good. Mixture highway and town in normal mode.
14U

Member 2541 Jerry

Apr 15, 2021

I have it set to 20 seconds in settings. Max setting is 120 seconds. I just ran to OKC and when I got out the lights went off in a few seconds. Not sure what is going on. Is anyone else hearing a fan on the led lights run after turn off your car. Just for kicks I checked my mileage in this 52 mile trip and it was 28.8. I didn't expect this good. Mixture highway and town in normal mode.
yep, I bumped ours down to 20 seconds also, I think that was the quickest setting. I would love to just turn it off to be honest. Our mpg was good too. But we got the small motor. Spent the big $ on the big rig.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
Bronclahoma

Rank 0

Jul 09, 2021

Yes! I have a 2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks and I immediately noticed the head lamp fan staying on for 10 minutes every time I turned off the car. I had found a resource saying this was normal and did not require maintenance.

However, I'm now noticing my head lamps stay on for the full 10 minute duration as well, despite having set the timer to 20 seconds. This is definitely an issue that they need to issue a recall for.
14U

Rank 0

Jul 09, 2021

Oh. That's why my headlight assembly is vibrating?

Rank 0

Sep 22, 2021

Yes! I have a 2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks and I immediately noticed the head lamp fan staying on for 10 minutes every time I turned off the car. I had found a resource saying this was normal and did not require maintenance.

However, I'm now noticing my head lamps stay on for the full 10 minute duration as well, despite having set the timer to 20 seconds. This is definitely an issue that they need to issue a recall for.
Did you find any info on this? I just bought my OB last week and mine is doing the same thing.

Rank III

Sep 29, 2021

I bought a jump box and threw in back. Don't want to be off in the middle of nowhere and have a dead battery.
14U

Rank III

Feb 23, 2022

Same issue.

Rank V

Feb 23, 2022

Sometimes, very rare like 3 times since September, my sig lights (front and rear) stay on after turning engine off. There is no time limit and they do not turn off. *I discovered the only way to reset exterior lights back to normal after engine off is by pushing the lock button twice on the key fob till horn honks, then unlock. Then all back to normal. Minor glitch and again, its very rare.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

Rank IV

Apr 26, 2022

Sometimes, very rare like 3 times since September, my sig lights (front and rear) stay on after turning engine off. There is no time limit and they do not turn off. *I discovered the only way to reset exterior lights back to normal after engine off is by pushing the lock button twice on the key fob till horn honks, then unlock. Then all back to normal. Minor glitch and again, its very rare.

I tried this last night and there was no honk after pushing twice. I have a base, should this make a difference?

Rank IV

Apr 26, 2022

Rank V

Apr 26, 2022

I tried this last night and there was no honk after pushing twice. I have a base, should this make a difference?
Hmmm. Not sure. Try using both of your key fobs. I think we have the same alarm system. Mine honks if I push the lock button twice. And it does same when my lights use to remain on long time after engine off.

The key fob trick works on mine. My exterior lights finally turned off using this trick when this happened to me on two separate occasions. All I had to do was hit lock button two times, horn honk, hit the unlock button and it fixed the problem nor has the problem come back after 6 months since it happened.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
bob_c_o

Rank IV

Apr 26, 2022

Reading the manual, it just says “one short flash of the turn signal confirms that your vehicle has locked”

Rank 0

Sep 10, 2022

Here’s what worked for me: You’re probably bumping the light “switch” with your knee when you get in and out to the on position instead of auto. Turn the car on, toggle back to auto and turn off. When you open the door the light should turn off automatically.

Rank IV

Sep 10, 2022

Here’s what worked for me: You’re probably bumping the light “switch” with your knee when you get in and out to the on position instead of auto. Turn the car on, toggle back to auto and turn off. When you open the door the light should turn off automatically.
It’s a known issue w ford. They are coming out w new light knobs sometime next month…

Rank VI

Sep 10, 2022

My wife’s sport has a timer adjustment in the “settings” area.
I “assume “ ours will too.
It does

Rank 0

Dec 10, 2022

I've had this same issue with my daytime running lights staying on after shutting the engine off and locking. They've stayed on so long one time that i went into walmart and came out and they were still on. I've changed the settings for the light delay and that still doesn't work. Only way to turn them off when this happens is to unlock and then lock again and they go off. It doesn't happen all the time, but maybe a few times a month.