Light pods and light bars

Vagieray
Dec 22, 2021

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

Hi I don’t know if anyone else is in my shoes but I am finding all the various options confusing as hell. I’d love everyone’s opinion as to how I should outfit my Bronco (if I ever get it). What do you think is the best way to go?
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2021

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

Difficult question. So much depends on its intended use.
Daily driver/commuter, primarily off road or a mix. Even intended off-road use can be a factor. For me I intend to use mine primarily as on off-road toy. Really enjoyed to ride quality and off road ability afforded by the sway bar disconnect. So right away that made the Badlands trim my only option. After seeing the difference between the 8inch and 12 inch screens while at the Bronco off-roadeo I knew the bigger screen was for me. That meant high package. Really wanted a manual so that made a few more decisions easy for me. Obviously had to stay with the 2.3L. Took the cheaper front bumper option since I will change this out anyway. The aux switches are I think a no brainer as they will make adding options later super easy. Realized how complicated this can get. Truly my best advice would be to get to the off-roadeo and look at as many different trim options you can. Best of luck, and welcome to the fun.
Mal, ResidualGenius

Libations MOD

Dec 22, 2021

Agreed there
What do you think is the best way to go?
Check out what @1Five1 Garage has done, especially with the PODS
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
1Five1 Garage, Vagieray

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

Ceramic coat waxing. Lasts 5 years.
Ceramic coat tint on the side windows. Helps keep the inside of the vehicle cooler.
Front window protective film. It’s more of an upright windshield, which may have a higher probability of cracks and chips.
Those are the first things I will be doing to mine to protect it. I don’t see myself wheeling much after dark, so the lights can wait, lol.
MY22 Badlands, Eruption Green, Sasquatch, 2.7, Lux. Res. Date 5/27/21, Ordered 10/15/21, On Ice Mountain…
the poacher, Vagieray

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

I want them primarily as an off-road toy but it will be my daily driver as well so I would like some on-road functionality as well. Oh, and I want to to look cool.
Agreed there
What do you think is the best way to go?
Check out what @1Five1 Garage has done, especially with the PODS
1Five1 Garage

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

Hi I don’t know if anyone else is in my shoes but I am finding all the various options confusing as hell. I’d love everyone’s opinion as to how I should outfit my Bronco (if I ever get it). What do you think is the best way to go?

I used the light brackets from Body Guard and actually like them. They aren’t in you face like a lot of other mounts.Plus plenty of adjustability for the positioning of light or lights

2E475332-23C9-46FD-AD8F-60F365B88FC3.jpeg
I will also be using there roof light bracket for the 6 bank of lights like the on above.
I have done a ton of mods for the Bronco and all on my channel on YouTube. They might help with what or if you want to do those.
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
Deano Bronc, Vagieray

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

Thank you. I’ll check out your YouTube channel.
1Five1 Garage

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

We do all modifications on video and will have different Broncos to modify from mid to wild. FYI this isn’t the wild one. Lol.
Brownco24, Mal

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

I have Baja Designs SAE fogs on my F150 - I swapped the lens to amber. They’re not too obnoxious and can be used on the road. So for sure get some lights that can be used on the roads regularly.

Pro Squadrons are for off-road use and are a nuisance to other drivers in the road.

I plan to do the BD pocket lights - 2 Squadrons and 4 S2s. Not sure if I’ll get a lightbar on the bumper or roof.

Edit: some A pillar/cowl lights look pretty good too. Maybe a pair of XL80s.
Vagieray

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

I like Hella products. You can find the Hella 500 in fog or driving beams and the Hella 700 (slightly larger version) in a driving beam. The 55W H3 bulb provides 1450 lumens per lamp and the fogs throw a wide low beam, approximately 75 meters; while the driving lights throw a beam approximately 350 - 450 meters that is much narrower but wider than a pencil beam. In addition, there are 100W and 130W bulbs available for more lumens (but you won't need them).

They are (relatively) inexpensive, well made and the patterns work very well off road and on. They provide as much light as you can use (meaning you can't over-drive (driving beam) them at highway speed). They throw approximately 10 - 15 seconds of light at 60 mph (300 meters conservatively (985 feet), at 60 mph (88 fps)). Off road speeds, usually well under 60 mph, they will provide much more light than you can use.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
NiceBronco, Vagieray

Libations MOD

Dec 22, 2021

We do all modifications on video and will have different Broncos to modify from mid to wild. FYI this isn’t the wild one. Lol.
@1Five1 Garage can you tag @Vagieray on your KC lights
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Vagieray

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

I like Hella products. You can find the Hella 500 in fog or driving beams and the Hella 700 (slightly larger version) in a driving beam. The 55W H3 bulb provides 1450 lumens per lamp and the fogs throw a wide low beam, approximately 75 meters; while the driving lights throw a beam approximately 350 - 450 meters that is much narrower but wider than a pencil beam. In addition, there are 100W and 130W bulbs available for more lumens (but you won't need them).

They are (relatively) inexpensive, well made and the patterns work very well off road and on. They provide as much light as you can use (meaning you can't over-drive (driving beam) them at highway speed). They throw approximately 10 - 15 seconds of light at 60 mph (300 meters conservatively (985 feet), at 60 mph (88 fps)). Off road speeds, usually well under 60 mph, they will provide much more light than you can use.

Thank you

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

I should have included, they are usually available for ~$65.00 for two lights with relays and switches. They're really easy to set up if you have auxiliary switches in the vehicle.

I normally run two to four lights on a vehicle, two Hella 500 (fogs) and two Hella 700 (driving).

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

Vagieray, ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

I'm glad someone posted a high quality, high-end, light for comparison. This illustrates the "bigger is better mentality" in a lot of what we do, and what we see so much of, and ever-increasing in this "sport" or field.

The beam distance of the KC Lite is 972m (3188 feet). That means if you wanted to have a reaction time for animals (deer) of three seconds (which is typical in a driving scenario) you could drive at 680 mph. That's fast! Now, is having that much light beneficial? I'd say there are diminishing returns because you're paying almost ten-times more for those KC Lites than something like the Hella lights and you're never going to drive 680 mph. But, maybe you want more time to react, say 15 seconds. That means you could drive 144 mph and have 15 seconds of reaction time. There is no place on earth you could drive off road in your Bronco at 144 mph.

So, the question becomes, why pay $529 for lights that you can never use (to their capacity). There is no practical benefit in a driving situation. The reason I see for buying lights that you can use while driving somewhere between 150 mph and 650 mph...bragging rights and ego, or maybe they just look cool.

Now, none of this is important if my math is wrong, or if you're interested in how much cooler those lights look than a more budget-friendly option.
ResidualGenius

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

So, the question becomes, why pay $529 for lights that you can never use (to their capacity). There is no practical benefit in a driving situation. The reason I see for buying lights that you can use while driving somewhere between 150 mph and 650 mph...bragging rights and ego, or maybe they just look cool.

Same reason you are on Bronco Nation from what your sig says.
Ordered - 2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
FS soon - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Because I can...
Bschurr, jamtra

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

Since you quoted me, and my sig, I guess the question becomes, because they come with even more extra guacamole?

Why make it personal, an ad hom, about me or the vehicle in my sig? Should I change it to a link to my youtube channel, or the other vehicles I own? My post was about specs, and wasn't about you, so why make it about me? What did I post that has anything at all to do with me or the the vehicles in my sig?

Libations MOD

Dec 22, 2021

Same reason you are on Bronco Nation from what your sig says.
Ordered - 2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
FS soon - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Because I can...
MIC DROP......
1Five1 Garage, jamtra

Rank V

Dec 23, 2021

https://www.kchilites.com/gravity-led-pro6-single-pair-pack.htmlThese look great. Are you mounting them on the roof, grill or A pillar? On my original Bronco the lights were on the roof and I felt like I got a lot of light reflections…

@Vagieray this is what i put on mine

Rank V

Dec 23, 2021

I currently have them on the cowl (a pillar) will have 2 on the bull bar for the winch and a set of 6 on the roof. Cowl is spot bull bar will be flood. The 6 all will be spot minus the outer 2 for flood.
Vagieray