Let's talk about transmissions and paddle shifters

Bronclahoma
May 01, 2021

Rank III

May 01, 2021

Went down to the Wichita Mountains in SW OK yesterday and used the paddle shifters for the first time. In a word-- they SUCK! If my vehicle is representative, this is the biggest flaw of the BS. In almost every review I've watched of the BS, they talk about the lazy, slow shifting transmission. I agree. But, the paddle shifters are just a no go. This seems to be a design flaw that Ford needs to address. Firstly, the shifter is impossible to easily access with your thumb. The shifter is a rocker switch, so I decided that I would just use my middle finger to depress the bottom of the shifter. With this technique the paddles are much easier.

Main problem is the paddles just don't operate properly. The slowest shifts I've ever seen. Several times I would have to hit the paddle twice for it to work, more than once I had to hit it three times. This is not good coming down a curvy mountain road. My guess is there is not a mechanical problem with my vehicle, but a design flaw that affects all production. What is your experience? If all units are as poor as mine, we should probably make this a sticky and provide feedback to Ford.
TK1215, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: May 01, 2021

Life is a Highway

May 01, 2021

Went down to the Wichita Mountains in SW OK yesterday and used the paddle shifters for the first time. In a word-- they SUCK! If my vehicle is representative, this is the biggest flaw of the BS. In almost every review I've watched of the BS, they talk about the lazy, slow shifting transmission. I agree. But, the paddle shifters are just a no go. This seems to be a design flaw that Ford needs to address. Firstly, the shifter is impossible to easily access with your thumb. The shifter is a rocker switch, so I decided that I would just use my middle finger to depress the bottom of the shifter. With this technique the paddles are much easier.

Main problem is the paddles just don't operate properly. The slowest shifts I've ever seen. Several times I would have to hit the paddle twice for it to work, more than once I had to hit it three times. This is not good coming down a curvy mountain road. My guess is there is not a mechanical problem with my vehicle, but a design flaw that affects all production. What is your experience? If all units are as poor as mine, we should probably make this a sticky and provide feedback to Ford.
I have the paddle shifters on my 18 Edge. The only time I have had any issue was for me, operator error. I mostly use them for downshifting and if I bust out the fat fingers and double tap my deceleration will be very aggressive. Very rarely use them to up shift as the normal acceleration and shift points are pretty good. This is however on the larger, non turbo V6
Bronclahoma