Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On-Demand Engagement

BoatBuilder88
Aug 12, 2020

Rank 0

Aug 12, 2020

Can someone explain how this works? I'm very confused about this feature.

In this auto on-demand engagement mode, does the Bronco become a full-time 4WD (like an Audi Quattro or Subaru)? Does it just automatically engage the center diff for a 50-50 torque split and use braking for traction control?
[o===o]
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2020

I think the info is literally being fine tuned and developed as we speak.....it seems part of what they're doing in Moab and what they did on the Rubicon Trail. Trying it all out, testing the mechanics of the system as well as the software around it......But I honestly don't know.
A big square Lightening Blue FE with puffy tires.....and a CB antenna for good measure! ;-)

Rank IV

Aug 12, 2020

I wonder if it will default to 4a or 2h?

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2020

The marketing I've seen indicates you are in 2h by default, then if weather is bad or something, you can hit 4a to let the Bronco manage traction for you. Discussed at about the 1:00 mark in the video below.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/under-the-hood/how-to-use-4-wheel-drive-systems.html#

Makes sense for mpg etc.....
A big square Lightening Blue FE with puffy tires.....and a CB antenna for good measure! ;-)

Rank VI

Nov 25, 2020

Essentially bumping this thread, but the info could be useful for other people searching.
I've been deep diving the powertrain today... given the usage of Borg-Warner parts in the f-150's and the terminology used. It looks like the Advanced 4x4 is something very similar to this transfer case with 3.06 low instead of a 2.64.

Here's a decent article with some videos: https://go4trans.com/automotive-ind...s-new-transfer-case-for-2019-ram-1500-trucks/
[O- 725 -O]
Bronc96

Rank III

Mar 30, 2021

Bumping this thread again.
My guess is that Ford is still fine tuning this. And the torque split will depend on the G.O.A.T. Mode selected.

But I’m wondering if it’s some thing similar to the Torsen center differential (as found on the Toyota 4Runner limited models, Land Cruisers, linear engine mounted Audi Quattro, etc), or Jeep Grand Cherokee QuadraDrive 2, or some other clutch-pack controlled unit (Chevy Colorado Bison, etc).

Hopefully the information for this will be released soon.
Cameron

Rank VI

Mar 30, 2021

Gawd I hope not. I do not want a clutch-based system. I really wish/hope it is chains and gears.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole