New to me 96 XL and looking for some advice

Phillychessey
Aug 11, 2020

Rank III

Aug 11, 2020

I have had my bronco for a about a year now and have done a few cosmetic adjustments but was wondering and hoping for some advice. I'm not very knowledgeable on cars but have always loved the Bronco's. I was hoping to get advice on what I should replace or update and what would be good products. I want to get a new suspension kit but not really sure where to start or what's a trusted product. Also plan to go through the engine and replace things. However, I would like some advice and suggestions on these fronts before I take it into a shop and they just rack up the charges on me. -Thanks
IMG_20190207_210321_888.jpg
Fstfrd00, Bsooudi
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2020

Rank 0

Aug 12, 2020

A lot of people did a electric fan conversion with underdrive pulleys and alternator update. You will gain some power but also keep the engine cooler. As for suspension keep in mind when purchasing if you have dual front shocks you will have to buy two separate shocks from the package. Most obs broncos can stuff 33” tires with little rubbing, add a 4” lift and no rubbing. Personally I’m running a super lift 6” lift with extended radius arms and 35” tires. I can go 37” but I’m saving the coin to do so. Also if you go up to 35” or 37” you will also have to regear the front and rear axles. There are many forums to go by that can help you on suspension and tire size along with gearing. I have a soft topper top on my 1994 model as well which I highly suggest. There are too many options to list but msg me and I’ll be happy to point you the right direction. Also if you have Facebook join us on full size ford bronco club and we will help ya out 8,977 members and counting!!
Phillychessey

Rank VI

Aug 12, 2020

Thank the Lord.... I get a smile on my face every time I drive my full size.... because as with everything in life... the longer you use something... the more wear and tear it receives. I would focus on trying to get everything possible out of the drive train.... before the time comes for a new motor and transmission ( because it is coming). Start with the transmission. Unless you are rocking the 5speed the E4OD is VERY costly. You have to do everything possible to keep it cool. Ford did not think a Trans temp gauge was necessary. I recommend doing a external "spin on" transmission filter and a temp gauge and hell... put another trans cooler besides the one Ford put in stock. Unless you are driving this rig in the great white North keeping it cool will extend it's life and push out the 2,500 needed for just a rebuild transmission.

Ford also did not think a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge that had actual numbers really matter. You can keep the junk that came stock but get a second set of temp and oil pressure gauges. Look at summit for a new thermostat housing that already has a port for a temp gauge and you can go to home depot and get some piping to tee off your current oil pressure sending unit and install one that actually gives you the pressure.

Keep it cool and it will stay running. That also includes fluid changes ( but I'm sure your all over that)

Then you can start the fun of suspension because your ball joints and bushings are probably on borrowed time also

By the way.... Great looking truck. everything I stated above is preventative is very doable for a beginner..... if you were rocking a rusty Bronco in dire need of bodywork... I would recommend looking for a second job to help pay for the repairs.
Commodore, Phillychessey

Rank VI

Aug 14, 2020

I think any White Bronco should have something done to it ...as to avoid confusion as to ownership history!

Rank VI

Aug 14, 2020

I think any White Bronco should have something done to it ...as to avoid confusion as to ownership history!

Nice but OJ drove a 1993
Phillychessey, Commodore

Rank VI

Aug 14, 2020

Nice but OJ drove a 1993
So True, Paul.
All White Broncos have to live it down...
Fstfrd00, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Aug 21, 2020

I really dig those wheels.
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank VI

Oct 01, 2020

Somewhere in Arizona there is a White Gen 5 Bronco with the license plate "NOT OJ". My wife and I saw it coming home from the mountains into Phoenix once. It was nice they had that vanity plate so nobody would be confused :LOL:
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Deano Bronc, Phillychessey