Just bought my son an 87 XLT automatic 5.0 need help

BroncoMom
Nov 27, 2020

Rank 0

Nov 27, 2020

Hi!
Was able to get my son’s dream car yesterday! 1987 XLT, 5.0 auto, power windows, locks and steering, even if they don’t work lol! Black on black. 4” lift, running 35”s but they are bald so will be replacing. Not sure if it came with air but previous owner either upgraded or installed.

we are...So happy but I could use some advice, I’m sure it’s me but I’m having difficulty navigating this sight..ugh ;) keep getting info for all years...so not specific to 4th gem when I search. I’m tech deficient ;)

It’s a fixer for sure, runs fine and no leaks currently but we have a list of “must do” before I feel safe letting my not yet 16 year old drive in LA traffic.

1)Steering is CRAZY loose. Before you chastise me I know what old trucks drive like or at least thought I did but either way this is LOOSE, too loose for a kid in traffic. Taking it in to be “looked at” on Monday but would love advice on if replacing with OEM parts will just result in new parts and similar play? If so, Are there after market options? Any advice on how to “tighten” up the play? I’m willing to do just about anything for safety reasons. Any parts recommendations and/or suggestions appreciated!

2) Driver seat is in permanent recline (not that there was recline but there is now lol) best replacement seats for safety,? (don’t need fancy just safe and decent!) I Don’t want to spend oodles here unless someone tells me I need to to get safe.

3) Wipers are not working, replace or repair?

4) Left turn indicator “works” but you have to hold it down. Is this an easy fix?

5) I want to install a back-up camera snd Apple car play again...safety...any suggestions on what works and doesn’t totally screw with the look of the dash?

6) needs replacement motors in all 3 windows (driver, passenger and rear) two are dead, one is dying. Is this an easy fix?

Thank you all in advance!
Tommo, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2020

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 27, 2020

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. There's a lot to unpack with your questions, and it may take some time to get all the answers. I have a couple thoughts, and I'm sure others will chime in as well.
First, while we have many knowledgeable and experienced members here who know a lot about Broncos, this site itself is relatively new, and a lot of the tech writeups you might find useful haven't been added here yet. You might consider also checking out fullsizebronco.com, specifically the 80-96 tech section (those years cover 3 different generations of Bronco, but they have a lot in common). They have years worth of posts and technical write-ups.
Second, it's my opinion that 35's with a 4" lift is more suited to off-roading than city traffic, especially for a new driver. I don't want to quell your enthusiasm for this rig, but the lift and tires raise the center of gravity substantially, making it more prone to rollovers, and can affect the handling a lot. This may be part of the looseness you are concerned about. However, if your son is committed to driving this like the 2.5 ton behemoth it is instead of like a sports car, he should be fine. It just requires an extra degree of caution. Worn or mal-adjusted suspension and steering components could also contribute to the looseness, so I'm glad you're getting it looked at. The amount of play you're describing does not sound normal.
For the turn signal, that's a common problem with trucks from this era. The signal cancel thingy (I don't know the right term) gets broken if the lever is held down while the wheel is turning back to straight. I'm not sure how difficult the fix is, but I'll see if I can find a write up.
Mastertiger87, DRWright

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Rank 0

Nov 27, 2020

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. There's a lot to unpack with your questions, and it may take some time to get all the answers. I have a couple thoughts, and I'm sure others will chime in as well.
First, while we have many knowledgeable and experienced members here who know a lot about Broncos, this site itself is relatively new, and a lot of the tech writeups you might find useful haven't been added here yet. You might consider also checking out fullsizebronco.com, specifically the 80-96 tech section (those years cover 3 different generations of Bronco, but they have a lot in common). They have years worth of posts and technical write-ups.
Second, it's my opinion that 35's with a 4" lift is more suited to off-roading than city traffic, especially for a new driver. I don't want to quell your enthusiasm for this rig, but the lift and tires raise the center of gravity substantially, making it more prone to rollovers, and can affect the handling a lot. This may be part of the looseness you are concerned about. However, if your son is committed to driving this like the 2.5 ton behemoth it is instead of like a sports car, he should be fine. It just requires an extra degree of caution. Worn or mal-adjusted suspension and steering components could also contribute to the looseness, so I'm glad you're getting it looked at. The amount of play you're describing does not sound normal.
For the turn signal, that's a common problem with trucks from this era. The signal cancel thingy (I don't know the right term) gets broken if the lever is held down while the wheel is turning back to straight. I'm not sure how difficult the fix is, but I'll see if I can find a write up.
Thank you for the response and information! I appreciate you taking the time! I’ll go check out the fullsizebronco.com, I hate to look like a “stupid woman” lol so any terms or ideas of what’s going on make me feel more confident.
The steering is obviously the most important, just got safety as he can drive it more than around the few blocks to the market until it’s fixed! The rest we can bumble our way through!

I’m hoping we can actually do some of the “light” work on our own, we don’t have the big tools or even a garage so small stuff is all we can handle but I’m willing to get my hands greasy alongside him!!

I was concerned about the lift (it’s actually higher than my DD...yikes) but luckily have a kid that will love the truck enough to avoid speed demon ridiculousness...this is a one and done for him- he knows- you wreck it, you buy it!
TorgSurv

Rank 0

Nov 27, 2020

These might help, good luck!

Oh my! This guy is fantastic! Thanks for the links!

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 28, 2020

Post up a pic of the Bronco, I'd love to see what you got.
DRWright, BroncoMom

Rank 0

Nov 28, 2020

Here’s my baby beast and his big black beast ;)

Attachments

Sdakotabronco, DRWright

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 28, 2020

Nice! That looks great.
Did you find any info on the window motor repairs yet? Or the seat? I've found suppliers for new seat upholstery kits, but not the whole seat. Maybe a junkyard? Or maybe mechanism that holds the seatback upright can be fixed?
BroncoMom

Rank 0

Nov 28, 2020

Thank you. My son is thrilled with it! It definitely gets looked at.

Surprised us with how good it looks, it’s actually better in person! It’s a California vehicle so no rust!! Some cosmetics, the badging and trim on the tailgate was ripped off and the dent you can on the fender, the paint is ok’d lost its shiny coating but nothing too bad, no flaking or discoloration really. The Headlights are faded, from the typical wear and tear, and reverse lights aren’t working anyway so looking to replace housing and externals and upgrade lighting options. The gauges aren’t working, speedometer works or so we think lol, a local shop says they can replace the entire cluster. I’m worried they’ll find electric issues, radio doesn’t work and P.O. had new speakers installed so something is up. As of this morning when I went to register it, it’s being persnickety! Ugh lol!

I found a guy to do the windows, front and back, he’s charging us next to nothing to do all 3 (said he needs the work with Covid it’s been so slow) a little less than $400 for all 3. Replace and ibstall

I’m thinking we’ll just replace the seats, with aftermarket, to get them in ASAP. I’ve only driven it once around the block because I can’t even reach the pedals the seat is so far back and at such an awful angle (back is broken in recline)!
The seats in it now are from an Eddie Bauer edition so not original, other than the poor reclining position and the lack of butt cushions (or really presence of someone else’s butt impression) lol they are surprisingly well kept, they are a light camel velvet and have no stains, no rips, no tears! I’ll probably sell them cheap, someone with the right tools and some know how could fix them up for sure!!
Unfortunately the closest salvage yard I could find with seats from a 4th generation Bronco is 200 miles away, at a later date, when he’s older and wants to restore it to its all original I’ll have him look into the OEM!
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Nov 28, 2020

Here’s my baby beast and his big black beast ;)
Man one proud and lucky kid.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronc96, BroncoMom

Rank 0

Dec 12, 2020

Nice! That looks great.
Did you find any info on the window motor repairs yet? Or the seat? I've found suppliers for new seat upholstery kits, but not the whole seat. Maybe a junkyard? Or maybe mechanism that holds the seatback upright can be fixed?
Ended up needing some more pressing work done. The steering column was damaged enough we’re replacing EVERYTHING and had some wires so hot they were turning red when trying to start...took it in to a local place that specializes in classic and vintage cars...they’ve replaced both the motors in the driver and passenger doors and the windshield wiper motor was burnt out, had to take apart the door the “switch” on the passenger side wasn’t working. They’re going through everything, we’re supposed to drop the motor out this week but the guy doing the work got Covid so 2 week break from the vehicle (he’s ok just on quarantine) it’s Coronapocolypse and the holidays so we told them we’ll wait, prefer 1 guy working the big stuff for continuity. My son is not so patient but understands. He explained to the young guy who runs their office that he wants to do some stuff himself and the guy offered to show him how and help
Him order parts, so my son (and I) will be doing new LED headlights, rock lights, and the seats.

We are on the look out for replacement seats.
Jakob1972, JFord

Rank 0

Dec 12, 2020

Having a problem finding the motor for the tailgate window...luckily that’s an “it can wait” issue.

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Dec 13, 2020

BroncoMom, Bronc96

Rank 0

Dec 14, 2020

This place is great! This looks like it, they should be able to adjust the size!
Thanks!

Rank 0

Dec 14, 2020

I ordered a “complete set” of original 1987 Bronco manuals: owner, operator, parts and warranty (lol) should get them in time to go under the tree for Christmas. Thought it would not only be cool to have but helpful fit looking up parts numbers.
TorgSurv, Deano Bronc

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Dec 15, 2020

Yes, those will be nice to have. I finally looked in the glove box of my 91 that I brought home last week, and I found the full set in great shape!
20201214_195341.jpg
Deano Bronc, BroncoMom

Rank 0

Dec 15, 2020

That’s so cool. Looks like they’re in perfect shape. Somebody loved that ‘91!!
TorgSurv

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 28, 2021

@BroncoMom Have you had any luck with the seats, lights, and rear window? Just wondering if your son has got it on the road yet?
Bronc96

Rank 0

Jan 28, 2021

Hi! Thanks for asking!

Had a bump in the road, an unscrupulous mechanic...charged us thousands of dollars and didn’t complete work ;/ just got the truck back Friday and had to take back Monday (didn’t even put door panels back on and back window wasn’t working) just got back today. After almost two months and many excuses.
As of this morning the windows are both working the rear window now works with new switch and with key in tailgate BUT in the process they broke the tailgate “door handle” and are claiming it was like that when we took it in...
They say they “rebuilt” the steering column to the tune of $1800+ and it is steering tighter but that didn’t include replacing/fixing the PRND shifter as it was supposed to when we ok’d the work

They wanted a minimum of $2800 to fix the rear main (they said it was gushing oil but not even a stain on my driveway over the weekend so not sure if I trust them at all?!) they literally told us minimum $2800 probably more AND that even after “fixing” it they’d most likely end up telling us we needed an engine replacement like the guy with the 1989 in the bay next to us just did?!!

I know we need to fix some leaks just need to find a reliable shop.

We are looking having the shocks and tie rods done (and possibly the steering gear) and new tires at a small local place I was able to get some good reviews for, hoping it’s a better spot than last time.
Never wished I was back home in the Midwest with my brother and Other brother to help us do the work and the garage snd tools to get it done.

So the saga of the Black Beast has just begun lol...hoping there’s a beauty in there somewhere!!
Deano Bronc, TorgSurv

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 28, 2021

What a bummer. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

If anyone reading this knows a good shop in LA, let's get a recommendation.
BroncoMom