Just bought a '90 XLT, gonna need a LOT of parts. Best source?

BBQdrew
Jul 01, 2021

Rank III

Jul 01, 2021

Hi all!

I've just bought a '90 XLT and first and foremost, it needs a new fuel tank (current tank leaks). Also need to replace fuel pump, sending unit, skid plate...well, you get the idea.

Anyone have suggestions for part sources? I tried broncograveyard.com but their fuel tank kit is out of stock.

Looking forward to diving into this basket case, and appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks!
Andy Suplee
1990 Bronco XLT (currently a stock basket case)
Bronc96, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 01, 2021

Rank VI

Jul 02, 2021

While you have the tank out ... it is a good idea to cut a access hole in the rear bed... right over the top of the tank for esay access to the pump. Plenty of discussion out there about what type of pump to buy. You can OEM Ford part for around 185$ or you can get just the pump off of Amazon for 35$. As far as one being better than the next ... almost everything is made in China... regardless of brand now a days. With the access hole in the bed.. you can change a pump in 15 minutes. If you turn the key to run... and you do not hear the pump prime... then it is usually bad. Some pumps scream... and some pumps are relatively quite.. no idea why?.... but they all make noise.

I can tell from expereince that the pump works it's ass off. The way the pump remains nice and cool is from the amount of fuel you keep in the tank. If you continously ride around with less than a1/8 of a tank ... the pump will fail quicker than always maintaining 1/2 a tank ... because the pump will remain cooler.... and heat kills.

I have had used Rock auto for my both Bronco parts... and have no complaints.

Since you have a 1990 .... I would research all the pick-a-part yards in your area. If you sign up for their email notification you get an alert everytime a vechicle hits the yard. since your Bronco is 90% the same as a F150 of the same year... I would set up the alert for F150's from 1990 until 1996.... and on the off chance a Bronco does hit the yard...set up another alert for a Bronco.

If you have the E4OD automatic transmisson... research a external spin-on filter and addtional cooler with tranny temp gauge. The motors on these are Rock solid... but if that electronic tranny starts getting hot... you are looking at 2,500 for a rebuild. To prolong the life of the tranny keep her nice and cool .... and added that spin on filter.... makes keeping the fluid clean a breeze. Having that tranny temp gauge will alert you to any potential problem before failure.... especailly if you tow... or live in a very hot place with a ton of stop and go traffic.

NOW LET"S SEE SOME PICTURES.....WARTS AND ALL
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Jul 02, 2021

Hey Paul, thanks for this information! I like the idea of the access plate and was already planning to head down that road. I'll also dig into the pick-a-parts, but there aren't many local to me, sadly. Been there done that, though, with my daughter's '96 Exploder.

I do not yet have "OJ" (yes, it's a white Bronco) home. The seller left yesterday on an extended vacation, so it looks like it'll be another week or two (only gave him a small deposit, just in case you're worried). Can't wait to get it home but this gives me time to start ordering parts and planning on where it'll sit while I work on it. Gotta love that beautiful open air garage with the natural turf floor (or asphalt floor).

And since you've asked for pix, here ya go! No interior pix, but it's in really good shape! One tear on the side of the driver's seat, and the armrest is broken off. I don't hate it.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Andy Suplee
Deano Bronc, Bronc96

Rank V

Jul 03, 2021

My old baby was an 88.
Bricknose gen is a LOT harder to find body parts for than 91+. But I LOVED it. Preferred it over any other generation, which seems to be an unpopular opinion.
I learned so much about the bricknose gen over months of hunting and finding the best sources.
-Most 87-91 mechanical and body parts are compatible between the Bronco and the F series.
-for new OEM matching parts, go through LMC Truck. Expensive, but worth it and their catalogs make it easy to find what you need.
-SALVAGE YARDS. Holy moly. Salvage yards and parts trucks on CL/FB for sale.
-for a sweet headlight conversion kit, look up OBS Solutions out of Oregon. Their kit is stupid easy to put together and takes any 5x7 square headlight (Jeep size) you can find for cheap on Amazon.

I learned my 88 inside and out, coming from zero experience mechanically other than knowing how to change oil and tires. It was crazy how easy it was for me to learn and do it all myself. You’ll enjoy yours! Just don’t let the bullnose or Aeronose naysayers grind you down. Look up Bricknose Fords on Facebook, they’re a great source of info.
Bronc96

Rank III

Jul 03, 2021

Thanks, Broncadonk! Love the name, BTW! I've been trollin' for a 5th Gen for quite a while and this one came along at a good price, so we took a flyer on it (cross 'em if ya got 'em). Coming for a '14 Jeep Wrangler, which is my wife's daily driver, and HER mid-life crisis car. She's over it as a daily driver so the Bricknose will satisfy both the Sport AND the Utility, and in some ways, a lot better than the Wrangler. Just gotta get it road-worthy so it can get us to the trails AND get us home. It'll take some work, but we'll get there.

Thanks again!
Andy Suplee
Broncadonk MKG

Rank VI

Jul 03, 2021

Congrats on the Bronc @BBQdrew! I love the big Broncos and have owned 3 over the years (87, 89 & 96). I still have the 96 and all have been some of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

The good news is that parts are plentiful and typically cheaper compared to today's cars. I have used many sources over the years but there are plenty out there. Best of luck with your new Bronc, I love seeing people bringing these old horses back to life! (y)

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard - great Bronco folks!
National Parts Depot - good overall selection
RockAuto - where I buy most of my mechanical parts
EBay - good for hard to find/discontinued parts like trim and interior pieces.
Salvage yards/LKQ - Ford built a lot of Broncs and 150s and many of the parts are interchangeable.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue

Rank III

Jul 03, 2021

Thanks for the information, Bronc96! There's a growing list of parts I need/want to throw at this beast, so any and all info is greatly appreciated.

This is my first Bronco, but not my first project vehicle, a.k.a. basket case. I've had a couple of Full Size Cherokees (79 and 80) and way back then, with no internet, I ended up making a few parts of my own. Necessity's a mother, right? Also survived a 67 Dodge Dart, a 96 Exploder, and heaven knows how many others, so at least this ain't my first rodeo!
Andy Suplee
Bronc96

Rank VI

Jul 03, 2021

Thanks for the information, Bronc96! There's a growing list of parts I need/want to throw at this beast, so any and all info is greatly appreciated.

This is my first Bronco, but not my first project vehicle, a.k.a. basket case. I've had a couple of Full Size Cherokees (79 and 80) and way back then, with no internet, I ended up making a few parts of my own. Necessity's a mother, right? Also survived a 67 Dodge Dart, a 96 Exploder, and heaven knows how many others, so at least this ain't my first rodeo!
Sounds like you are off to a great start! The Bronco community is also a vast resource so don't hesitate to reach out and ask questions. Many good folks here and you will also find a lot of great info over on the full-size Bronco forum.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
BBQdrew

Rank VI

Jul 07, 2021

She looks pretty solid. I would treat those rust spots ASAP. I have used this stuff... and I'm a big fan.

Once you stop the rust from getting any worse ... then down the road you can start thinking about replacement patch panels. Anytime I pull and replace a part... I coat the surface with POR 15 ... then reinstall. My rig is one I plan on keeping forever ... So I also replace nuts and bolts with garde 8 stuff from the big box stores also.... or really cheap from tractor supply ( they actaully sell grade 8 by the pound)

You should be able to source a passenger door pretty easy ... coat those fender wells and get a set of pocketed fender flares. No cutting invloved and they look awesome.

https://realtruck.com/p/bushwacker-...MIrNbbvdTR8QIVQgOLCh2HZgXqEAQYAyABEgKjAfD_BwE

Since you where a jeep guy .. you will eventually want to lift her. The IFS front end is tricky. Make sure you get a decent suspension lift... with drop down brackets. Don't cheap out with leveling kits or larger springs. Extended length Radius arms are also very nice.
For the rear research a shackle flip.... lift blocks are garbarge.

these guys make good stuff

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/80-96-bronco-f-150-suspension

I graduated from college back in 2001. I took a 4 door 1993 explorer ( with a 5speed) from Florida to California, Washington state, Montana..... on a year long backpacking trip. She was one hell of ride. I would lie the seats down and had my sleeping pad and bag set up on one side. The other rear door would open to a 4 draw pull out organizer with all my clothes.

FUN TIMES
Bronc96

Rank III

Jul 08, 2021

Well now, this is some good advice, and thanks for all of it.

At this point, our goal is to bring this beast back to stock with the exception of bumping tire size from 31s to 33s. Just want to get to know it, and trust it, and figure out exactly where we want to go with it before I do too many mods.

I do have a rather lengthy list of parts for the front-end, basically anything that's a wearable part and not in the pumpkin. Also considering swapping hubs to manual, probably the Warn Premium hub.

I'll definitely be swapping out the rear spring shackles. They were flaking easily, and it probably wasn't paint. Should be an "easy-ish" job, at least compared to some of the others on the list.

As for the body repairs, I actually may already have a lead on the door, and maybe 2, but really want the Bronco in hand before I go too crazy buying parts.

There's a fair chance I'll start a (re)build thread as well, just to share the madness!

Thanks again for the information and advice, and I will certainly provide updates. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Andy Suplee
Deano Bronc, Bronc96