It's time to start exploring alternatives... looking for suggestions

Calgecko
Dec 21, 2020

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Dec 21, 2020

This most recent debacle with Ford has pushed me right to the edge of my patience and wits. My anger level last night was through the roof - While I've been beyond excited since I reserved in July, Ford keeps chipping away at that by undermining our trust and loyalty in this process. I'm at the point where I want to start exploring alternatives to the Bronco. I was looking to get a Sasquatched Badlands 2.7 - but now I'd like to at least entertain ideas for other vehicles... mostly looking for something that'll be good for general offroading (unlikely I'll be doing any rock crawling in a $50k+ truck).
I'm coming from a 2016 Mustang that I bought new, and before that, a 2012 Mustang that I also bought new..

I really like the Ranger - but Ford has pissed me off so bad, that if I abandon the Bronco, I'm never buying another Ford product, so that's off the table.

Tacoma TRD Pro is nice - but I don't know much about their engines/power/fuel mileage
4Runner TRD Pro - same - nice looking truck, not sure about the power plant, mileage, etc
Jeep - definitely an option, but I like the idea of IFS on the Bronco for daily driving use and ride quality
Chevy Colorado - the ZR2 Bison edition looks great and very capable. I've never owned a Chevy in my 33 years of driving, but this truck could make me change that.

What else is out there in the $45k-$52k range, which I should consider?

Attachments

Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
Reldn, JFord
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

This most recent debacle with Ford has pushed me right to the edge of my patience and wits. My anger level last night was through the roof - While I've been beyond excited since I reserved in July, Ford keeps chipping away at that by undermining our trust and loyalty in this process. I'm at the point where I want to start exploring alternatives to the Bronco. I was looking to get a Sasquatched Badlands 2.7 - but now I'd like to at least entertain ideas for other vehicles... mostly looking for something that'll be good for general offroading (unlikely I'll be doing any rock crawling in a $50k+ truck).
I'm coming from a 2016 Mustang that I bought new, and before that, a 2012 Mustang that I also bought new..

I really like the Ranger - but Ford has pissed me off so bad, that if I abandon the Bronco, I'm never buying another Ford product, so that's off the table.

Tacoma TRD Pro is nice - but I don't know much about their engines/power/fuel mileage
4Runner TRD Pro - same - nice looking truck, not sure about the power plant, mileage, etc
Jeep - definitely an option, but I like the idea of IFS on the Bronco for daily driving use and ride quality
Chevy Colorado - the ZR2 Bison edition looks great and very capable. I've never owned a Chevy in my 33 years of driving, but this truck could make me change that.

Hate to hear but certainly can understand where you are coming from. All of those are great options to fit your needs, guess it depends on if you want the open air availability similar to Bronco and if so that would tip the scales toward Jeep. I have also heard good things about the Colorado ZR2 & Bison edition. However, many swear by their Toyotas and the reliability is great. It usually comes at a high price tag, but what doesn't these days...
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

What’s your reservation number? If it’s early... happy to talk you into a few vehicles. If it’s later, Bronco is worth the wait.
[O- 725 -O]
broncoCrzy, Buckin'

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

G/f has a 4Runner and I love it. I tried to buy one about six months ago and had a terrible experience with the dealer so I decided to wait, and lo and behold the Bronco reservations opened. I put off the purchase to buy a Bronco instead.

The 4Runner is a refined vehicle, in my opinion, but it has more capability than most anyone will ever use. I've taken her out several times in snow, rocks, rain, slush, everything but sticky mud, and it just goes. She had no idea her 4Runner was designed to do all that it has. The four wheel drive system is advanced and requires almost no input from the driver. You just put it in low, headed up hill or down, and let the vehicle walk/crawl wherever you want to go. The IFS works much better than I expected (I came from, and still own SFA vehicles). It made a believer our of me, that Toyota knows off road. The caveat is that the 4Runner isn't a rock crawler like the Wrangler. Where the IFS shines in almost all conditions, you lift a tire. The nice thing is, everything else works so well, IFS doesn't really matter. Unless you're crawling in the rocks, big rocks, IFS is fine (preferable). The thing I can't believe, is how quiet it is, driving down the freeway or over washboard road. It's sooooo quiet.

I've owned two Jeeps with SFA. They didn't ride as nice as IFS, but they were exactly what I expected them to be.

If I wanted an off road rig, I'd buy a Jeep. Jeep builds a vehicle to go anywhere, but refined it is not. They don't ride as nice, they are noisier, they are taller so getting in and out is harder. They've done a lot to make them more user-friendly, but you don't become the best off road rig by being the best on road rig. If there were a pendulum, they'd be closer to the "truck-like ride" side. As an example, I met my neighbor at the mailbox just the other day. She'd traded her well-built Rubicon and was driving a Toyota SUV. I asked her about it and her response was, the Jeep is great if you want to go to the mountains every weekend, but it's a harsh ride to work every other day of the week. She's not wrong.

The thing I wonder, based on your post, is if you want a truck. An SUV and truck are completely different in my mind, regardless of mechanical capability. So, I'd figure out what you want, truck or SUV. Then, I'd buy the Bronco. Really though, I'd probably buy the 4Runner, even though it seems like everyone has one. They're a great vehicle. If my local dealer weren't so screwed up, I'd have a six-month 2020 4Runner in the driveway and wouldn't regret not getting a Bronco.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Reldn, Hobgoblin

Gladesmen

Dec 21, 2020

I can tell you that the Chevy will have more creature comforts than the Ford or Taco. It has always been my experience that the Chevy will have a little better ride. But it is hard to compare trucks with SUVs unless you want a camper for the truck or you don’t mind having your gear in the weather there may not be much difference but I notice a big difference between the room when we take my F250 compared to the Suburban. Like shopping the suburban wins we can make several stops and not have to worry about things walking away. But the truck I can run to HD and load a whole palate of concrete or a refrigerator.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Slownstddy, tlowell01

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

On the Jeep front, I have driven and been impressed with the Grand Cherokee also. Has a lot of creature comforts mixed with off road capability.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
tlowell01, AcesandEights

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

True, Jeep offers Quadra-drive and Quadra-lift on the Grand Cherokee.

I just realized that Jeep also offers their Wrangler transfer cases with a full-time 4WD. It's been redesigned to offer both the two-speed (high/low) and it is also available as a two-speed/full-time option, while retaining the Rubicon 4:1 low-range. I've had both the two-speed t-case (in a Wrangler), and the "Selec-trac" (full-time, in a Cherokee) and that's a pretty nice feature. That's the one feature I always wished Jeep offered in their Wranglers (was offered on other models), and now they do in both the regular and Rubicon Wranglers. That's a really great selling feature to me.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

True, Jeep offers Quadra-drive and Quadra-lift on the Grand Cherokee.

I just realized that Jeep also offers their Wrangler transfer cases with a full-time 4WD. It's been redesigned to offer both the two-speed (high/low) and it is also available as a two-speed/full-time option, while retaining the Rubicon 4:1 low-range. I've had both the two-speed t-case and the "Selec-trac" (full-time) and that's a pretty nice feature. That's the one feature I always wished Jeep offered in their Wranglers (was offered on other models), and now they do in both the regular and Rubicon Wranglers. That's a really great selling feature to me.
I agree and like the full-time 4WD set up. My buddy has a 94 Land Cruiser with that set up and that thing is a beast! (y)

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Dec 22, 2020

The Badlands Bronco Sport would be at the top of my backup list - But, as mentioned - if I abandon the Bronco, I'm abandoning Ford altogether... good insight into the Toyota/Chevy/Jeep options, thanks.
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
Bronc96, JFord

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 22, 2020

I just test drove a Gladiator today. It's tempting. Especially with the incentives. LOL

I just can't see the Bronco being readily available when my original time frame to buy is. And I'm a cheap mofo so I'm waiting for incentives and rebates too. I never pay full price for anything. And I just have a bad feeling Ford is going to be rushing these out for the first year or two so quality may be overlooked. I need to see these on the road for a few years with long term reviews and opinions. I want the Bronco to be my last vehicle. Not one I'm excited about for the first year and then ready to move on.
Khayze427, RedCo

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

It is really hitting reality when Bronco Nation Regulars like @Calgecko and @Garemlin have swung both feet over the fence and are about to jump off. Cal even was in an article about his excitement about the new Bronco.

I fully understand the challenges that we are all facing with the pandemic. They are real. However, many things have not been handled well on the Ford side.

I really hope they take a moment to review the feedback and take a long hard look at the negative equity that is being created by these missteps. At the end of the day they will make their money and the Broncos will be hitting the roads and trails across this great country. But the loss of early enthusiasts have long lasting effects. I for one will be purchasing my first Ford product with the Bronco.

We have been a Jeep, Nissan, and Toyota four wheel family prior to this. Our family is all in on the Bronco and it would take an awful lot to get us to not get one. That is not the case for many reservation holders. Time for Ford to look at how they are approaching this and assess if they want the launch to be the best for their customers or for Ford. There is probably a way to make it great for both. Just need to work for that outcome.

Hobbs has spoken.
tlowell01, Bronc96

Rank V

Dec 22, 2020

Keep your 2016 stag and add some old iron. Bronco, FJ40, Scouts, CJ-5, even a Chevy K-5. Ok, maybe not a Chevy, :sick:

Or how about a low mileage FJ cruiser or a well cared for TJ with a 4.0?

$50k buys a whole lot of adventure vehicle. Buy a decent driver for $25k, then sink some more money building exactly what you want. It’s winter time, great time to start a project.
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door. Delivered on 10/1/2021
SKetelaar, Bronc96

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 22, 2020

It is really hitting reality when Bronco Nation Regulars like @Calgecko and @Garemlin have swung both feet over the fence and are about to jump off. Cal even was in an article about his excitement about the new Bronco.

I'm not going anywhere. I just think I'm going to wait it out a little longer than I originally planned. The Bronco is still my end game.
Bronco V-8, JFord

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

Looks to me that the bronco still beats the price on all those others. Especially when its going to come to accessibility of options. I think that its really going to come down yo how fast your wanting to get one. If you want one RIGHT NOW then those seem to be ok alternatives. You will find that upgrading those to get what's going to capable vehicles will run about another 5-10k. Im looking at switching to a Bronco sport. More capable than the other options, can order now and still stays in the Family.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
RedCo, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

I can tell you that the Chevy will have more creature comforts than the Ford or Taco. It has always been my experience that the Chevy will have a little better ride. But it is hard to compare trucks with SUVs unless you want a camper for the truck or you don’t mind having your gear in the weather there may not be much difference but I notice a big difference between the room when we take my F250 compared to the Suburban. Like shopping the suburban wins we can make several stops and not have to worry about things walking away. But the truck I can run to HD and load a whole palate of concrete or a refrigerator.
Chevy makes a good mall crawler but ford makes a Truck. Ive owned both and durability goes to ford everytime. It IS in how you take care of it(cutting all you chevy lovers off at the pass)......I take care of my vehicles and will always get top dollar when trading them in. But chevy will nickle and dime you crazy with the little annoying repairs. And it will just stop if it sees a mud puddle...lmao.....
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Jakob1972, Rydfree

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Dec 22, 2020

Im a 58 year old Ford fan that really wanted the Bronco . I've had Jeep , Chrysler & GM but mainly Ford products over the years . I'm still driving my '91 Ranger and a '07 King Ranch that have been great vehicles but FORD is pushing my buttons the wrong way with the Bronco launch . First I can't really put together my ideal vehicle with the way they have the trims and interiors locked together but hey , I can make something work . Hell I spent a couple thousand bucks that I didn't really have to just to travel to the East Coast Bronco event to see one in person . I didn't really want to spend $60k on a non-luxury vehicle but the Badlands w/2.7/squatch/Lux was 90% of my ideal build so I made up my mind early . Then we get no X-Plan and have to spend full MSRP . The company I work for makes parts for just about all the major manufactures and the 1st time I want to use the plan it's a no go from Ford . Then the B&P is launched with so many errors it is useless except to play wishful thinking games with . Then here we go with putting the order and launch date off and raising the price of the AT when it was stated the price was correct and a steal of a deal .

Do I continue to wait and see what else goes up on an already steeply priced vehicle ? Will I even get one in 2021 ? Then there are other factors that Ford can't control like what will the economy and interest rates be by the time the Bronco ships?

The last email I received from a Jeep dealer I had visited before the Bronc announcement was an offer on a Gladiator Mojave at $7500 below MSRP and they honor my X-plan . I think the finance rate was super low at 1.9% or maybe even 0% . Now that I have seen the Bronco I lost interest in the Gladiator somewhat so now I have a trade in and $15k in cash that still won't get me in a vehicle that I want today :(

One more button FORD . One more button .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Tataman, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

I really wish I could put a positive spin on this, but it might be time for a “reality check” as painful as that may be. So here goes……

I still believe the 190,000+ Bronco reservations is a massive headache for Ford, and they might be better served if that number was well under 100,000. Ford may be seeking an opportunity to rope in the runaway reservations. That process could be accomplished by either increasing prices or stretching out the delivery cycle or both. Based on comments from Esteban on 12/14/20, I expected to see price increases on both 2.7L with the auto as well as Sasquatch Package with more to come. If the potential buyer drops down to lower-priced models, those may have a longer delivery cycle.

I believe there will be some Broncos in circulation in 2021. Sort of like a few Ford Raptors are in circulation. I have no doubt “commodity problems” will shift many to 2022 and guess what? New pricing on those as well! When the 2021 orders are required to rebook as 2022 orders, I see no price guarantees. Eventually, the reservation volume will drop drastically, and the Ford dealers will get stock and make money by adding on dealer markups.

Brace yourself for a rollercoaster ride!
Khayze427, ChapEJF

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

If this Bronco doesn't work out, I have been eyeing the F150 Tremor...but there is no build and price out yet for that trim. They're due to be hitting the street the same time the Bronco does.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
ChapEJF, Rydfree

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

Good l
If this Bronco doesn't work out, I have been eyeing the F150 Tremor...but there is no build and price out yet for that trim. They're due to be hitting the street the same time the Bronco does.
The Tremor is a good looking ride! (y)
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2020

This recent development is very frustrating and much of this confusion could of been avoided by Ford. However, I am in the "all in" boat and willing to wait it out because of being a lifelong Bronco fan and the fact that if it is not Bronco then I don't buy. I am fortunate to have a nice vehicle to drive while I wait and an older Bronc in the stable to keep me happy.

That said, I can understand why someone would need to start looking at alternatives as you must do what's best for your family. I expected issues and delays aside from COVID as we all should and honestly, I am still shocked and excited Ford brought the Bronco back. Something I have been waiting on for 24+ years and had given up on or come to the realization if it happened then it would be a crossover mall cruiser like the Blazer.

Just my .02...and as Buzzy said, buckle up because this process will have highs and some lows along the way. :)
Khayze427, ChapEJF