Is The 2021 Ford Bronco Adventure-Worthy?

Laura
Apr 27, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Apr 27, 2021

By @ChapEJF

So, is the 2021 Ford Bronco adventure-worthy? Let’s find out. My name is Everett, and I want to share with you why I believe the new Ford Bronco is adventure-worthy for me and why it might be for you as well. Now, I am a late 50’s male who will soon retire from the military. I will work for a few more years and then fully retire. My new Ford Bronco will serve as my RAV –– my Retirement Adventure Vehicle. The purpose of this vehicle is to facilitate my planned and unplanned adventures as I remain active into retirement. To determine if the Bronco is adventure-worthy, I first had to define what I meant by adventure: After all, what is mundane to one person is an adventure to another. So after some deliberation, I see adventure for me in four different scenarios. I want to share with you how I believe the Bronco will facilitate these adventures for me and how it might work for you as well.

Article Pics.007.jpeg

Adventure Scenario 1
Everyday:
I know what you are thinking, is everyday life really an adventure?! I truly do believe that in our fast-paced life on crowded highways with often less than considerate drivers, the “everyday” is an adventure in and of itself. My Bronco will have to serve as my daily driver. The challenge here is to facilitate my life without getting in the way. It has to provide ease of use, comfort, drivability, and as much safety as possible. I have driven a Volvo XC60 for the past decade, so I know and appreciate the role of modern safety technology. Let me add that it has spoiled me with the best drivability and ride of any vehicle I have ever owned. So, its replacement has some big shoes to fill. I do not expect the Bronco to drive like a European SUV, but I do believe the Bronco will outperform the comparable competition.

So, what are the features of the Bronco that will facilitate my everyday life? I believe that the Independent Front Suspension, the safety features, and tech amenities are the main ones for me. They will provide a more than acceptable level of drivability, survivability, and comfort as I go about my life. And I cannot wait to jump into my Bronco, place my phone in the console, have it wirelessly connect to Apple CarPlay and tell the vehicle what Podcast to play for my daily commute.

Article Pics.022.jpeg

Adventure Scenario 2
Escapes:
What I am referring to here are day trips, overnight camping trips, or any emergency scenario that I might encounter. Sometimes the adventures are planned, and sometimes they are not. I want my adventure vehicle to transition well from normal daily duty to rugged capability. The challenge is for it to be constantly postured to handle the unexpected and unplanned. Now, I am not a hardcore prepper, no offense if you are, but I know the value of being ready for the unexpected. I have spent my life as a soldier, and to live as a soldier is to have a constant awareness of your ability to respond to the unexpected and the unknown. It is a posture that I believe the Bronco will provide for me and my family in my everyday life.

So what are the features of the Bronco that fulfill this requirement? First of all, it is the true 4WD drivetrain, rugged construction and the on-demand capability to “Go Over All Types of Terrain.” I believe the Bronco provides the capacity to get off the beaten path at a moment’s notice and the confidence to face the extremes.

Pics2.001.jpeg

Adventure Scenario 3
Excursions:
When I say excursions, I mean a planned trip of up to a week. Something like heading to North Georgia to drive the Georgia Traverse and camp a few nights in the beautiful creation our Lord has provided. After retirement, I want to do a trip such as this about once every three to four months. They will take more planning and put greater demands on my retirement adventure vehicle. In this scenario, I see the main challenge being for the Bronco to serve as my support vehicle to facilitate the excursion. It will involve long stretches of highway driving while safely conveying all that I need to subsist. Some might call this overlanding or car camping; I don’t really care what anyone calls it. My main motivation is to get away, relax, and experience nature.

So what are the features that I need the Bronco to fulfill for me to experience these type of adventures? To me this goes more toward the Bronco’s design and the integration of its systems. I believe that the versatility, adequate (not great but adequate) payload, and configurable design reveal a blank slate that I can craft to facilitate what I need to truly enjoy my excursions.

Pics.001.jpeg

Adventure Scenario 4
Expeditions:
An expedition is a journey to a particular place or along a certain route that usually involves a greater purpose. These treks are usually lengthy, arduous, and can often be life changing. In 2014, Heidi Hetzer from Berlin, Germany set off to drive around the world. What made her expedition so compelling were a few amazing factors. Heidi was 77 years old when she began; her driving companion abandoned her not long into the journey so she continued alone; she would drive across parts of six continents; and her vehicle was a 1930 Hudson Great Eight Touring Car. Oh, and halfway through her journey she was diagnosed with cancer, went home to Germany, kicked cancer’s butt, and resumed her expedition. Now, few of us have the luxury of taking this type of expedition, but Heidi’s story inspires me, and I hope it does so for you as well. That combined with an insatiable wanderlust motivates me to begin planning for a few very important expeditions for my retirement like the Trans America Trail. My Bronco will be my RAV, my retirement adventure vehicle.

So what are the challenges that I expect to face for my Bronco as I set forth on these expeditions? Really, I believe it will be a combination of all the previous challenges mentioned but over an extended period of time. It will have to be drivable, configurable, durable, and serviceable. There is no perfect vehicle, but I cannot wait to receive my new Bronco and start my next chapter of adventure.

Article Pics.034.jpeg
Article Pics.032.jpeg

What about your adventures, and how do you plan to bring them about? Let me know what they are in the comments, and what vehicle will convey you on those adventures?

Attachments

2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
Bike007b, TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Apr 27, 2021

Fellow BN member @ChapEJF wrote this awesome summary up of what he wants to do after he retires and the capabilities his adventure vehicle must have. We ran it today on the blog!

And if anyone else would enjoy submitting a story, DM me! I love hearing from all of you on what made you choose your Bronco or what you plan to do with it.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 27, 2021

Awesome and well thought out post!

My Bronco will also pull double duty as my daily driver to and from the office, but also be ready for my to take the weekend trip to North Georgia, or down to Mile Marker 0 here in Florida.

Like his, I’ll end up putting highway miles on it too, as I head out west to see the Senator Hwy in AZ, Prescott, Jerome, Sedona. I’ve been there on the beaten paths, but hope to venture off the beaten path.

I look forward to hearing more about his adventures, and thank you for your service!
TK1215, Sdakotabronco

Rank VI

Apr 27, 2021

I love when a thread changes the focus from obtaining a Bronco to what will we do with the Bronco. Thank you!

I have ordered a Badlands 2-door for my adventures. I love camping and exploring new locations. Luckily, I can devote all my time to this new chapter of my life. For me, the first step is to connect with existing off-road groups. That way I can minimize solo adventures. I also hope to utilize organizations which teach me many of the skills my Badlands deserves.

Once I nail down a tentative build month, I can place the order for my camper/trailer to be built. That should help lengthen the duration of my travels.

You are correct, an expedition is far more than a multiday vacation and I have not yet scoped out my expectations. My most recent expedition involved an ocean kayak camping trip in Prince William Sound, Alaska. I paddled from Valdez to Whittier dogging bears and sea lions along the way. Maybe more bears are in my future? Hopefully not sea lions! ;)
TK1215, Deano Bronc
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Apr 27, 2021

I was about to say some of you are living the life I want -- @BuzzyBud, kayaking and camping in Alaska? :love:-- but then I remembered we all have our own versions, and that's what's so awesome about this community. I want to learn more from all of you on some of the how-tos and wheres, so I can incorporate new things into what I already do!
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 27, 2021

I was about to say some of you are living the life I want -- @BuzzyBud, kayaking and camping in Alaska? :love:-- but then I remembered we all have our own versions, and that's what's so awesome about this community. I want to learn more from all of you on some of the how-tos and wheres, so I can incorporate new things into what I already do!

That is me, paddling in Columbia Bay, Alaska. That adventure is awaiting you. Live the dream!

P1010047.JPG
OddMackey, TK1215

Rank V

Apr 27, 2021

Awesome and well thought out post!

My Bronco will also pull double duty as my daily driver to and from the office, but also be ready for my to take the weekend trip to North Georgia, or down to Mile Marker 0 here in Florida.

Like his, I’ll end up putting highway miles on it too, as I head out west to see the Senator Hwy in AZ, Prescott, Jerome, Sedona. I’ve been there on the beaten paths, but hope to venture off the beaten path.

I look forward to hearing more about his adventures, and thank you for your service!
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing your stories as well. Hopefully we will be able to link up in Florida some time with other Bronco owners.
4DR OBX, A51, 2.3L/Auto, Soft Top, High Package, 4.27 Locking Rear Diff, AUX Switches
Reserved: 7/14/20, Ordered: 1/29/21, Built: 9/7/21, Assumed the Reins: 9/14/21
OddMackey, TK1215

Rank V

Apr 27, 2021

I love when a thread changes the focus from obtaining a Bronco to what will we do with the Bronco. Thank you!

I have ordered a Badlands 2-door for my adventures. I love camping and exploring new locations. Luckily, I can devote all my time to this new chapter of my life. For me, the first step is to connect with existing off-road groups. That way I can minimize solo adventures. I also hope to utilize organizations which teach me many of the skills my Badlands deserves.

Once I nail down a tentative build month, I can place the order for my camper/trailer to be built. That should help lengthen the duration of my travels.

You are correct, an expedition is far more than a multiday vacation and I have not yet scoped out my expectations. My most recent expedition involved an ocean kayak camping trip in Prince William Sound, Alaska. I paddled from Valdez to Whittier dogging bears and sea lions along the way. Maybe more bears are in my future? Hopefully not sea lions! ;)
Thanks so much for your comments and I love following your plans as well. I agree with you about linking up with a good community as well as your plans for further adventures. Cannot wait to see your build and where it takes you.
4DR OBX, A51, 2.3L/Auto, Soft Top, High Package, 4.27 Locking Rear Diff, AUX Switches
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Apr 27, 2021

@Laura thanks so much for sharing my article. Some of us are farther down the road and have more time now, you are right and we all have to take advantage of the time and space we currently occupy. I cannot wait to see this community blossom.
TK1215, Deano Bronc
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Apr 27, 2021

That is me, paddling in Columbia Bay, Alaska. That adventure is awaiting you. Live the dream!

View attachment 12445
Did the bear or the sea lions take that shot? ;)
Bike007b, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Apr 28, 2021

Did the bear or the sea lions take that shot? ;)

It was taken by one of these guys, with a telephoto lens of course! ;)

P1010126.JPG
TK1215, Deano Bronc
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Apr 28, 2021

Amazing!
TK1215, BuzzyBud

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

May 02, 2021

Adventure has nothing to do with the vehicle and everything to do with the driver!

L.R.
TK1215

Rank V

May 02, 2021

Adventure has nothing to do with the vehicle and everything to do with the driver!

L.R.
Point taken; a vehicle is an inanimate object void of will and cognition. The main point of the article is that the vehicle, potentially a Bronco, can be a means to an end to facilitate an adventure for the potential driver, myself.
TK1215

Rank VI

May 02, 2021

My Bronco is replacing my HD ULTRA CLASSIC touring motorcycle (we did Rt66 on it) and my 4x4 SUV daily driver that pulls my utility trailer. Coming back east we hit as many NP as we could staying on paved roads. Our next trip out west was finishing off our last 11/50 states. We found ourselves on some unpaved roads that I was wishing we had 4x4. We have a National Park Pass and intending to hit some less traveled roads in the Bronco. Looking forward to our Bronco. Would have loved having it here for our 50th Anniversary trip in mid June (but not likely).
2021 4-door; Adv. 4x4; 2.3L; 10spd Auto; Area 51; Black Diamond; Mid pkg; door bags.
TK1215, 14U

Life is a Highway

May 02, 2021

By @ChapEJF

So, is the 2021 Ford Bronco adventure-worthy? Let’s find out. My name is Everett, and I want to share with you why I believe the new Ford Bronco is adventure-worthy for me and why it might be for you as well. Now, I am a late 50’s male who will soon retire from the military. I will work for a few more years and then fully retire. My new Ford Bronco will serve as my RAV –– my Retirement Adventure Vehicle. The purpose of this vehicle is to facilitate my planned and unplanned adventures as I remain active into retirement. To determine if the Bronco is adventure-worthy, I first had to define what I meant by adventure: After all, what is mundane to one person is an adventure to another. So after some deliberation, I see adventure for me in four different scenarios. I want to share with you how I believe the Bronco will facilitate these adventures for me and how it might work for you as well.

View attachment 12435

Adventure Scenario 1
Everyday:
I know what you are thinking, is everyday life really an adventure?! I truly do believe that in our fast-paced life on crowded highways with often less than considerate drivers, the “everyday” is an adventure in and of itself. My Bronco will have to serve as my daily driver. The challenge here is to facilitate my life without getting in the way. It has to provide ease of use, comfort, drivability, and as much safety as possible. I have driven a Volvo XC60 for the past decade, so I know and appreciate the role of modern safety technology. Let me add that it has spoiled me with the best drivability and ride of any vehicle I have ever owned. So, its replacement has some big shoes to fill. I do not expect the Bronco to drive like a European SUV, but I do believe the Bronco will outperform the comparable competition.

So, what are the features of the Bronco that will facilitate my everyday life? I believe that the Independent Front Suspension, the safety features, and tech amenities are the main ones for me. They will provide a more than acceptable level of drivability, survivability, and comfort as I go about my life. And I cannot wait to jump into my Bronco, place my phone in the console, have it wirelessly connect to Apple CarPlay and tell the vehicle what Podcast to play for my daily commute.

View attachment 12436

Adventure Scenario 2
Escapes:
What I am referring to here are day trips, overnight camping trips, or any emergency scenario that I might encounter. Sometimes the adventures are planned, and sometimes they are not. I want my adventure vehicle to transition well from normal daily duty to rugged capability. The challenge is for it to be constantly postured to handle the unexpected and unplanned. Now, I am not a hardcore prepper, no offense if you are, but I know the value of being ready for the unexpected. I have spent my life as a soldier, and to live as a soldier is to have a constant awareness of your ability to respond to the unexpected and the unknown. It is a posture that I believe the Bronco will provide for me and my family in my everyday life.

So what are the features of the Bronco that fulfill this requirement? First of all, it is the true 4WD drivetrain, rugged construction and the on-demand capability to “Go Over All Types of Terrain.” I believe the Bronco provides the capacity to get off the beaten path at a moment’s notice and the confidence to face the extremes.

View attachment 12440

Adventure Scenario 3
Excursions:
When I say excursions, I mean a planned trip of up to a week. Something like heading to North Georgia to drive the Georgia Traverse and camp a few nights in the beautiful creation our Lord has provided. After retirement, I want to do a trip such as this about once every three to four months. They will take more planning and put greater demands on my retirement adventure vehicle. In this scenario, I see the main challenge being for the Bronco to serve as my support vehicle to facilitate the excursion. It will involve long stretches of highway driving while safely conveying all that I need to subsist. Some might call this overlanding or car camping; I don’t really care what anyone calls it. My main motivation is to get away, relax, and experience nature.

So what are the features that I need the Bronco to fulfill for me to experience these type of adventures? To me this goes more toward the Bronco’s design and the integration of its systems. I believe that the versatility, adequate (not great but adequate) payload, and configurable design reveal a blank slate that I can craft to facilitate what I need to truly enjoy my excursions.

View attachment 12439

Adventure Scenario 4
Expeditions:
An expedition is a journey to a particular place or along a certain route that usually involves a greater purpose. These treks are usually lengthy, arduous, and can often be life changing. In 2014, Heidi Hetzer from Berlin, Germany set off to drive around the world. What made her expedition so compelling were a few amazing factors. Heidi was 77 years old when she began; her driving companion abandoned her not long into the journey so she continued alone; she would drive across parts of six continents; and her vehicle was a 1930 Hudson Great Eight Touring Car. Oh, and halfway through her journey she was diagnosed with cancer, went home to Germany, kicked cancer’s butt, and resumed her expedition. Now, few of us have the luxury of taking this type of expedition, but Heidi’s story inspires me, and I hope it does so for you as well. That combined with an insatiable wanderlust motivates me to begin planning for a few very important expeditions for my retirement like the Trans America Trail. My Bronco will be my RAV, my retirement adventure vehicle.

So what are the challenges that I expect to face for my Bronco as I set forth on these expeditions? Really, I believe it will be a combination of all the previous challenges mentioned but over an extended period of time. It will have to be drivable, configurable, durable, and serviceable. There is no perfect vehicle, but I cannot wait to receive my new Bronco and start my next chapter of adventure.

View attachment 12441
View attachment 12442

What about your adventures, and how do you plan to bring them about? Let me know what they are in the comments, and what vehicle will convey you on those adventures?
Chap, first off, I just want to thank you for your lifetime of service to this beautiful country of ours. Secondly, thank you for this well thought out and prepared presentation. This is exactly what and how I want to do My adventure. I too am in my mid to late 50’s and after 26 years of a different kind of service am stepping away to a more meaningful and hopeful life of service to my wife and adult children. We at times forsake the ones we love for the greater good. But now it is our time. I am gonna put it out there right now that the travels you are speaking of and the reasons are exactly what I am gonna do. When the time comes and the process of getting these vehicles is finished I would be honored to pick yours and others brains and then head out into our beautiful country on adventures in groups to see it all. At some point We should PM at chat, if that is all right with you sir.
Deano Bronc, ChapEJF

Mud,Sweat and Gears

May 02, 2021

L.R.
or the passenger.;);)
Deano Bronc, Bike007b

Rank V

May 02, 2021

Chap, first off, I just want to thank you for your lifetime of service to this beautiful country of ours. Secondly, thank you for this well thought out and prepared presentation. This is exactly what and how I want to do My adventure. I too am in my mid to late 50’s and after 26 years of a different kind of service am stepping away to a more meaningful and hopeful life of service to my wife and adult children. We at times forsake the ones we love for the greater good. But now it is our time. I am gonna put it out there right now that the travels you are speaking of and the reasons are exactly what I am gonna do. When the time comes and the process of getting these vehicles is finished I would be honored to pick yours and others brains and then head out into our beautiful country on adventures in groups to see it all. At some point We should PM at chat, if that is all right with you sir.
Thanks so for your feedback, glad that the article was helpful and excited for you and your family as well. I definitely am interested in dialoguing and learning from others as well such as yourself. Feel free to send me a PM anytime and I look forward to possibly meeting up in the future. FYI, a few months ago I shared a thread with my preliminary load plan. You may find it helpful as well. Have a great Sunday!
Edit: Apologies for my grammar. I really wasn't drinking, just typing on my iPhone can be a challenge at times.
Deano Bronc, RonM0710