Is Sway Bar Disconnect Critical with IFS?

Soupcook
Mar 31, 2021

Rank VI

Mar 31, 2021

I ordered the OBX and that model does not have sway bar disconnect. How important is sway bar disconnect for off-roading. If you aren't rock crawling, how critical is it? I've seen what it can do on a Jeep.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Bschurr
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021

Life is a Highway

Mar 31, 2021

Even without the sway bar disconnect, these are supposed to be very capable off road vehicles. I think for the more extreme rock crawling, the added articulation you get from the SBD is supposed to be pretty sweet.

Rank II

Mar 31, 2021

@Soupcook great question...I have the JLU wrangler and it has the electronic disconnect. Makes sense in some rock crawling scenarios, but curious if/how the Bronco will address.
G.O.A.T.
Bschurr, Soupcook

Rank VI

Mar 31, 2021

Even without the sway bar disconnect, these are supposed to be very capable off road vehicles. I think for the more extreme rock crawling, the added articulation you get from the SBD is supposed to be pretty sweet.
That's what I was thinking...I was impressed with what I saw in videos in Johnson Valley. A sway bar disconnect seems critical even here in Florida...much less Utah.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
TK1215

Gladesmen

Mar 31, 2021

If the staybar/swaybar disc is critical then I am sure you can add a manual disconnect. I just don’t think the automatic/remote disconnect is critical. But I am glad I’m getting it. Of course until it craps out on me. I sure hope it’s failsafe is connected.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bschurr, Soupcook

Rank VI

Mar 31, 2021

If the staybar/swaybar disc is critical then I am sure you can add a manual disconnect. I just don’t think the automatic/remote disconnect is critical. But I am glad I’m getting it. Of course until it craps out on me. I sure hope it’s failsafe is connected.
My big concern as well, eventually will fail or start leaking and likely a high cost item to replace...
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Soupcook

Rank 0

Apr 03, 2021

This video sold me on Badlands big time, especially the automatic sway bar disconnect featured at 12:45:

Love Rich Minga's explanations, good vibes.
Michael
"All heritage Ford all the time"
Deano Bronc, Giggles

No Ragerts

Apr 03, 2021

Just because some Bronco models don’t have the auto disconnect doesn’t mean they can’t be disconnected. Sure, it’s nice to press a button and have the sway bay automatically disconnect (like my JKU Rubicon) but Jeep owners have been manually disconnecting them for decades when added articulation is needed. It will be an easy mod to add a disconnect for the end link on the sway bar

The big difference up front on the Bronco is an independent front suspension (IFS) as compared the Jeep’s solid axle. By design, this set up should allow for better articulation but less strength.

The bigger issue and more valuable for off roading is locking differentials. This is a MUST to get over the really gnarly stuff.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Bronco_Adventure, Boogeyman1

Rank VI

Apr 03, 2021

Just because some Bronco models don’t have the auto disconnect doesn’t mean they can’t be disconnected. Sure, it’s nice to press a button and have the sway bay automatically disconnect (like my JKU Rubicon) but Jeep owners have been manually disconnecting them for decades when added articulation is needed. It will be an easy mod to add a disconnect for the end link on the sway bar

The big difference up front on the Bronco is an independent front suspension (IFS) as compared the Jeep’s solid axle. By design, this set up should allow for better articulation but less strength.

The bigger issue and more valuable for off roading is locking differentials. This is a MUST to get over the really gnarly stuff.
Great points, Bschurr. The locking diff's are necessary just about everywhere. I think if you are doing a lot of rock crawling, the sway bar disconnect is needed. But for the occasional rock crawler (like here in central Florida), I think I'll be just fine with the IFS. If I really need the sway bar disconnect then I can easily do that manually once set up for a manual disconnect. The biggest challenges where I live is sugar sand and mud.
Mangelo, Bschurr

Rank 0

Apr 03, 2021

Learning so much from everyone thank you! This Road and Track article re: IFS is illuminating to a beginner like myself:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...ronco-independent-front-suspension-explainer/
Seeing Rich Minga fly down that off road stretch at 60MPH in the video with the Bronco riding smooth as butter, it looked amazing. Guessing that was because of the IFS? (On a safety note, Rich also said that he knew that specific terrain as he was driving it the last couple days, was experienced in off road, there were spotters etc.)

There's so much to learn from everyone on this forum. Is there a good resource like a book or website to properly train for off road ie the 101 of safety, technique, gear and places to go in the US? Eternal gratitude to the group.
Michael
Deano Bronc, ATC Enthusiast

Life is a Highway

Apr 03, 2021

Learning so much from everyone thank you! This Road and Track article re: IFS is illuminating to a beginner like myself:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...ronco-independent-front-suspension-explainer/
Seeing Rich Minga fly down that off road stretch at 60MPH in the video with the Bronco riding smooth as butter, it looked amazing. Guessing that was because of the IFS? (On a safety note, Rich also said that he knew that specific terrain as he was driving it the last couple days, was experienced in off road, there were spotters etc.)

There's so much to learn from everyone on this forum. Is there a good resource like a book or website to properly train for off road ie the 101 of safety, technique, gear and places to go in the US? Eternal gratitude to the group.
Sign up for Bronco Offrodeo when it becomes available. Should provide all of us with a solid foundation
Deano Bronc, Soupcook

Rank 0

Apr 03, 2021

Sign up for Bronco Offrodeo when it becomes available. Should provide all of us with a solid foundation

The Bronco Offrodeo looks amazing! Thanks
Michael
Bschurr