Introducing the Bronco B&O Sound System Video Series

Laura
Dec 14, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Dec 14, 2021

originally posted at https://thebronconation.com/introducing-the-bronco-bo-sound-system-video-series/

2021 Ford Bronco_Drive_33 (2).jpg

Previously, we’ve shared our first impressions of the 10-speaker B&O Sound System by Bang & Olufsen and why we think it’s worth the upgrade in your Bronco. But audio is highly personal –– as is the decision to move up to the Lux package. Since Bronco Nation exists to make owning a Bronco easier and more enjoyable, we sought out additional information and opinions to help support you in your choice.

Beginning tonight, join us for a two-part video series led by professional car reviewer, audio expert, and Bronco owner Micah Muzio. He speaks with HARMAN International senior mechanical integration engineer Kyle Gutowski and senior engineer of acoustics Alec DeLeon, both deeply involved in the crafting of the Bronco’s upgraded system. Kyle helped take the B&O project from early talks of inclusion all the way up to the SUV’s development, and Alec helped Ford overcome the challenges of tuning in the Bronco.

Video 1: Iconic Design
In our first video, hear of the system being made fresh for Bronco –– and how the B&O sound system is designed to take on all the elements of an off-roading vehicle and come out on top. Learn more about the speaker placements and why they matter for your experience. Plus, discover why you can play your music louder and with less distortion. After watching, you’ll walk away understanding what you gain from the B&O system vs. the base six-speaker audio of the Standard and Mid package.

Video 2: Premium Sound Quality for All Seats, Expertly Tuned for Every Drive
We follow up with a dive into the immersive experience gained from the additional four speakers. Watch as Alec covers how to use the system as an owner and tune it to your liking, as well as go over its support of lossless audio. Additionally, Kyle shows off the reference room, where trained listeners start when benchmarking a vehicle –– it’s not just the quality of the hardware that makes the B&O system an upgrade, but also the expertise of the tuning that comes with it. Last, take in Micah experiencing the B&O sound system in a 2021 Bronco for the first time ever … and what he thinks of it.

Together, the on-screen team covers the specialness of the Bronco project: taking a highly configurable vehicle and getting excellent sound in it. Enjoy learning more about the premium sound system in this two-part video series!
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
cjduncan, BuckYeah
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2021

Rank V

Dec 14, 2021

I'll have my popcorn ready.
On Order, 11/15/21: MY22 Badlands 2-dr, Carb Gray, 2.3L, 7spd, SAS, Lux Reorder, 9/23/22: MY23, dropped tow.
Sche'd Production: 11/28/22, Modules Live: 11/30/22. Delivered 12/02/22.
Laura

Rank VI

Dec 14, 2021

Curious to see this. My B&O system in my Ford F-150 is honestly not that great. The speakers themselves being the weakest link. Hopefully Ford has fixed a few things.
Xpathf1nderX, FireOne
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Dec 14, 2021

2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
IceSoldier88, cjduncan

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 14, 2021

Car audio used to be a priority, my Thunderbird had Ford top of the line Premium Sound, it was good enough I wasn't tempted to upgrade.
These days I hardly listen in the car and prefer to spend money on my home system.

MP3s with their lack of quality really can't take advantage of a good system. If you can't play CDs the upgrade to the B&O won't matter, the source is still low quality.

I'll still gather up some music and audition a B&O if the dealer will allow it.
WhiskeyCity, Laura

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Dec 15, 2021

Car audio used to be a priority, my Thunderbird had Ford top of the line Premium Sound, it was good enough I wasn't tempted to upgrade.
These days I hardly listen in the car and prefer to spend money on my home system.

MP3s with their lack of quality really can't take advantage of a good system. If you can't play CDs the upgrade to the B&O won't matter, the source is still low quality.

I'll still gather up some music and audition a B&O if the dealer will allow it.
CarPlay uses wifi to steam from your phone but is limited to CD quality audio (16bit/44.1kHz); still higher than Bluetooth quality. If you want the best audio quality for your system, you'd need to play music at 24bit/192kHz. That can only be achieved by using a USB to play directly from or to add your music to the car hard drive. Only FLAC and ALAC files support this.
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 15, 2021

CarPlay uses wifi to steam from your phone but is limited to CD quality audio (16bit/44.1kHz); still higher than Bluetooth quality. If you want the best audio quality for your system, you'd need to play music at 24bit/192kHz. That can only be achieved by using a USB to play directly from or to add your music to the car hard drive. Only FLAC and ALAC files support this.
I just put a bunch of high quality mp3s on a flash drive and plug that in. It works well.
Wildtrak, hot pepper red, mic, Lux, tow...Totally worth it!!
JoergH

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 15, 2021

Car play is an apple product.

Dec 15, 2021

Car play is an apple product.
Right, and Sync supports it. Which means you can play music from your iPhone that is as good as a CD.
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
Big Papa

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 15, 2021

Right, and Sync supports it. Which means you can play music from your iPhone that is as good as a CD.
No it means I can't use it, I don't use anything apple makes.
freedom5, LegendV20

Rank III

Dec 15, 2021

If the b&o system is at least as good as my Bose I had in my GMC Canyon I'll be perfectly happy with that. Was one of the best sounding stock stereos I've heard in all my vehicles, many with premium sound systems in them
2022 Bronco Badlands: HPR, 2.7, 4dr, Soft Top, Lux, MGV, optional beadlock wheels Built 5/2/22. ETA 5/22

Rank IV

Dec 15, 2021

Not that impressed with the B&O system in my Raptor, replaced all but the head unit.
That's why I ordered my wife's Wildtrak without the B&O system.
2021 Bronco Wildtrak Cyber Orange, 2019 Raptor Perf Blue
1955 Chevy Cameo, (2) 2023 Mavericks (on order)
the poacher, Bronco 202?

Dec 15, 2021

No it means I can't use it, I don't use anything apple makes.
Ok, you can do the same thing without Apple products. That was just one example. As I mentioned before you can just load some music on a stick, or use Android Auto. The key is to use a music file that’s in a lossless format. The point being that your statement about car audio without CDs is poor can be addressed. Check out this article for more details. https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...ar-high-definition-audio-in-your-car.html?amp

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 15, 2021

Ok, you can do the same thing without Apple products. That was just one example. As I mentioned before you can just load some music on a stick, or use Android Auto. The key is to use a music file that’s in a lossless format. The point being that your statement about car audio without CDs is poor can be addressed. Check out this article for more details. https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...ar-high-definition-audio-in-your-car.html?amp
Good info. Thanks for the link.
Recently I got out an old CD collection and transferred the music in the FLAC format to a USB stick. While it did what I had intended, the audio sound was lack luster and a lot of volume difference between songs.
Do you know if you purchase '80s music digitally, will it sound much better than transferring it from a CD? Not sure if they remaster the music so it sounds better or not.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Dec 15, 2021

I enjoyed what I'm guessing was the first behind-the-scenes video of the B&O sound system. It's easy to take things like this for granted, but discovering a little more than the average Joe gives you more of an appreciation for the Bronco as a whole. I think this audio visual "backstage pass" delivers the goods. Well done! I appreciate the challenges the sound design team overcame in the line of duty. They came aboard while the Bronco was still taking shape, so they had to adapt to a changing world on a daily basis. Picture an artist trying to paint while someone keeps moving the easel around the studio.

When I ordered my last car, I opted for the upgraded sound system and I'm glad I did; I was able to compare it with the system that came with a rental of the same model car. The surround sound systems are surreal. You never can quite pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I should mention that I'm not an audiophile, but I can still tell good from not-so-good.

I wasn't able to sample the B&O sound system in the demo I drove during my Bronco test drive, so I'm looking forward to hearing it when my own arrives. Perhaps I'll be lucky enough to get a B&O-equipped Bronco at the Off-Roadeo in February 2022. ;)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA
freedom5, Kathleen

Dec 15, 2021

Good info. Thanks for the link.
Recently I got out an old CD collection and transferred the music in the FLAC format to a USB stick. While it did what I had intended, the audio sound was lack luster and a lot of volume difference between songs.
Do you know if you purchase '80s music digitally, will it sound much better than transferring it from a CD? Not sure if they remaster the music so it sounds better or not.
The answer to your remastering question is "it depends". Some are remastered, some aren't. Some are carefully created so that the sound is as good as possible, and some, especially those on those "compilation" albums, just really stink.
Deano Bronc

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 15, 2021

I don't care what name they slap on them. OEM audio systems are rarely worth the added cost over what you can do aftermarket. Especially if your driving factor for the Lux package is just the B&O. That's a $3590 cost. You could do decent speaker upgrades, add an amp or two and a subwoofer for less than half of that and have incredible sound.

I have the Alpine premium audio set-up in my Gladiator and it is underwhelming to say the least.
FireOne, Bronco 202?

Rank VI

Dec 15, 2021

As an honest question to the group, how do y'all define a "good" sounding system? Is it volume, definition, soundstage, or something else?

Mostly, I look for enough definition that I can separate instruments and tracks from each other at comfortable volumes. I don't go for extreme volume or bass. Both of those things don't figure prominently in the music that I typically listen to. I feel like a lot of people, and I've seen them do it at Bronco events, sit down in the Bronco and see how high the volume goes and check to see if they feel that thumping bass vibration in their chest. That second thing is probably never going to come from a factory system because it requires physically larger components that aren't going to be packaged in vehicle's design without some compromises. What level of volume is good enough is a pretty subjective thing.

This isn't a criticism if you're a heavy bass person, some music genres emphasize bass and if that's your jam, enjoy it.

One thing you should always remember is that there's a wide variance in the physical shape of peoples' ears and their level of hearing ability across frequencies. Like the sense of taste, hearing is a pretty subjective thing.

I've really enjoyed the B&O system at lower speeds around town. At high way speeds, any system will suffer in an open top off-roader, there's just too much road noise. You can turn up the volume but if you're like me and want to be able to tell the difference between a guitar being finger strummed and pick strummed, it's not awesome at that and I doubt any system would be in that truck. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong when someone does an awesome aftermarket sound system build but I don't see that happening without some compromises that I wouldn't make.

Would I get the LUX package for the B&O system alone? No. It's still in my build though because I live in Michigan and will never buy another car without a heated steering wheel now that I've experienced it, because I want adaptive cruise control when I'm cruising across the Great Plains to get to some Colorado wheeling, I want the charging on the dash, and...yeah...I think the B&O system is a great upgrade.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
BuckYeah, Gimesnow

Rank V

Dec 15, 2021

Our 2021 just came in last Friday, we opted for the Lux package for several reasons, not just the stereo. Considering the speakers are designed for the elements it sounds pretty darn good to me. Looking forward to the second part of the video series.
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT: Factory dark jade and wimbleton special tutone, 32,000 original miles, sport steering wheel, CB, lighted vanity, AC, etc.
2021 Bronco Badlands carbonized gray, 4Dr, 2.7, lux, leather, Trektop, Rock Slide Engineering steps & tailgate table.
Kathleen

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 15, 2021

As an honest question to the group, how do y'all define a "good" sounding system? Is it volume, definition, soundstage, or something else?

Mostly, I look for enough definition that I can separate instruments and tracks from each other at comfortable volumes. I don't go for extreme volume or bass. Both of those things don't figure prominently in the music that I typically listen to. I feel like a lot of people, and I've seen them do it at Bronco events, sit down in the Bronco and see how high the volume goes and check to see if they feel that thumping bass vibration in their chest. That second thing is probably never going to come from a factory system because it requires physically larger components that aren't going to be packaged in vehicle's design without some compromises. What level of volume is good enough is a pretty subjective thing.

This isn't a criticism if you're a heavy bass person, some music genres emphasize bass and if that's your jam, enjoy it.

One thing you should always remember is that there's a wide variance in the physical shape of peoples' ears and their level of hearing ability across frequencies. Like the sense of taste, hearing is a pretty subjective thing.

I've really enjoyed the B&O system at lower speeds around town. At high way speeds, any system will suffer in an open top off-roader, there's just too much road noise. You can turn up the volume but if you're like me and want to be able to tell the difference between a guitar being finger strummed and pick strummed, it's not awesome at that and I doubt any system would be in that truck. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong when someone does an awesome aftermarket sound system build but I don't see that happening without some compromises that I wouldn't make.

Would I get the LUX package for the B&O system alone? No. It's still in my build though because I live in Michigan and will never buy another car without a heated steering wheel now that I've experienced it, because I want adaptive cruise control when I'm cruising across the Great Plains to get to some Colorado wheeling, I want the charging on the dash, and...yeah...I think the B&O system is a great upgrade.

Speaking for myself I define good as clarity. The ability to hear different instruments. Also with bass I like tight bass that I can feel. Not boomy bass that rattles every nut and bolt.

At the end of the day this is an off-road open top vehicle. So audiophile sound quality shouldn't be a concern. More so the ability to have clarity at higher volumes without sounding tinny or muddy. Something easily achieved with a decent amp and efficient speakers. And you don't need 1000w to have a good sounding system. Years ago I ran a Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 amp pushing four speakers and a sub box. Sounded great and could push out clear volume and tight bass that could drive you out of the car.
NickP, Steve777468