Installed Ford Trailer Brake Controller

jd-ford-hd
Jun 02, 2022

Rank V

Jun 02, 2022

Just thought others may like to know that there is an option when installing the controller. My grandsons are like monkeys and have been known to climb over the console which I feel would inevitably render the control knob destroyed if placed per instructions. There is plenty of room to place all components of the kit on the driver's side by popping the hinged lower dash panel. It is how you access the fuses as well. Used the conical step drill to make the hole on the headlight switch panel. Discarded the supplied bezel. The factory wiring harness for the controller is already located right above the accelerator pedal. Be careful popping it loose, lots of razor sharp objects under all vehicle instrument panels.!! Ouch.! Very quick install without removing console or glove box.! The module is stuck to the metal plate under steering column , using supplied sticky tape, with a couple zip ties for insurance (I did trim the tails off after the pic.!).Hooked to a trailer and the led lights up when applying the brakes. True plug and play for those of us with the factory tow option. If anyone else has posted using this location for the controller switch/knob my apologies, many searches did not find this method. :)

9264ECE6-AD09-4378-A179-453B6D799002.jpeg00E0EF52-9EB6-467E-A391-0162ADE74900.jpeg81546A8C-0BB1-4BE5-BD4E-9E8917A06251.jpeg64056653-B809-459E-A3FC-86833D22327C.jpeg5142F634-2468-4194-B123-3877F22B19BC.jpeg28EFDB9B-122E-457C-BCAF-9D9D9D3C6DA7.jpeg38A71293-3F62-4594-A459-3C4939642B4D.jpeg761C53A7-A685-473E-A516-87DDAB37EEDF.jpeg

Attachments

F ederal O wnership R espectfully D eclined
AngusMac13, macblaster

Road trip!!!

Jun 02, 2022

Just thought others may like to know that there is an option when installing the controller. My grandsons are like monkeys and have been known to climb over the console which I feel would inevitably render the control knob destroyed if placed per instructions. There is plenty of room to place all components of the kit on the driver's side by popping the hinged lower dash panel. It is how you access the fuses as well. Used the conical step drill to make the hole on the headlight switch panel. Discarded the supplied bezel. The factory wiring harness for the controller is already located right above the accelerator pedal. Be careful popping it loose, lots of razor sharp objects under all vehicle instrument panels.!! Ouch.! Very quick install without removing console or glove box.! The module is stuck to the metal plate under steering column , using supplied sticky tape, with a couple zip ties for insurance (I did trim the tails off after the pic.!).Hooked to a trailer and the led lights up when applying the brakes. True plug and play for those of us with the factory tow option. If anyone else has posted using this location for the controller switch/knob my apologies, many searches did not find this method. :)

View attachment 37044View attachment 37045View attachment 37046View attachment 37047View attachment 37049View attachment 37050
Nice clean install.

Do you have the part number for the controller?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Bronco Hueso, TK1215

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 02, 2022

Nice clean install.

Do you have the part number for the controller?
VM2DZ-2C006-A

(Have it sitting right next to me in-box awaiting my Bronco.)

@jd-ford-hd ... super impressed with the install location—I too am not crazy with the location they want you to use with the official instructions. The location you picked is where I wanted to put mine, but wasn't sure if it would fit in that spot, and I couldn't find a good picture of what that panel looks like with a Mid package. But, it looks like you have High/Lux, so I would imagine if it fits there for you, it would fit for me as well.

EDIT:
- The controller itself is the Redarc EBRH-ACCV3-NA. You can buy it separately for a substantially lower cost, but I believe the wiring harness it comes with is not compatible with the factory wiring. If you buy the Ford Accessories kit it comes with the correct harness.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Deano Bronc, jd-ford-hd

Road trip!!!

Jun 02, 2022

VM2DZ-2C006-A

@jd-ford-hd ... super impressed with the install location—I too am not crazy with the location they want you to use with the official instructions. The location you picked is where I wanted to put mine, but wasn't sure if it would fit in that spot, and I couldn't find a good picture of what that panel looks like with a Mid package. But, it looks like you have High/Lux, so I would imagine if it fits there for you, it would fit for me as well.

EDIT:
- The controller itself is the Redarc EBRH-ACCV3-NA. You can buy it separately for a substantially lower cost, but I believe the wiring harness it comes with is not compatible with the factory wiring. If you buy the Ford Accessories kit it comes with the correct harness.
Thanks! (y)
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
TK1215, jd-ford-hd

Rank III

Jun 02, 2022

Clean install! And still easy to get to in case of needing to use the manual override.
jd-ford-hd

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

I love it. That is a much more expected location. If only my dealer had asked me before installing the knob in my console, I would have demanded they install it there in the dash!
FWIW, after using my trailer brakes on half a dozen occasions, I actually have gotten used to the console location and the dial control. The one dial is easy for actuating the brakes manually to dial them in for the load. I think it will survive in this location; thankfully my kids are out of the climbing over the arm rest stage.
JJACK502, jd-ford-hd

Rank IV

Jun 04, 2022

VM2DZ-2C006-A

EDIT:
Regarding the Wiring Harness Part Number: The part number for the REDARC Wiring Harness for the Ford Bronco is #TPH-007. (Source: Chase Gentry, Ford Bronco Brand Ambassador, REDARC Trailer Brake Controller installation YouTube video at
Member: SUMMIT981 // Ordered: 21 DEC 2021 // Maryland, USA
Scheduled: 26 SEP 22, 17 OCT 22 | Built: 15 OCT 22 | Shipment: 17-23 OCT No Status
BuckYeah

Rank 0

Jun 04, 2022

VM2DZ-2C006-A

EDIT:

Ford also states it has custom firmware…
jd-ford-hd

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

Curt Echo® #51180

Why not use this one. Plug and play, set it off your phone. It holds the last setting. Works on multiple cars.
jd-ford-hd

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2022

Curt Echo® #51180

Why not use this one. Plug and play, set it off your phone. It holds the last setting. Works on multiple cars.
You could for sure—it works just fine.

The one from Ford's accessories works with all of safety systems built into the vehicle, but nothing wrong with the Curt Echo.
jd-ford-hd

Rank V

Jun 14, 2022

Curt Echo® #51180

I actually have this one which was a quicker way to get brakes until I had a chance to install the "real" one from Ford.! My concern with the Curt is while traveling and sleeping away in my favorite Holiday Inn Express, someone less fortunate than myself can quickly make off with a $300 controller with little to no effort.!!

Jun 14, 2022

I actually have this one which was a quicker way to get brakes until I had a chance to install the "real" one from Ford.! My concern with the Curt is while traveling and sleeping away in my favorite Holiday Inn Express, someone less fortunate than myself can quickly make off with a $300 controller with little to no effort.!!
I’ll chime in on the Curt Echo. I’ve had a lot of issues with it. Used it with my old F150 and my parents camper. At one point it just stopped working and wouldn’t connect to my phone no matter what I did. It decided to lock the brakes on the camper so I couldn’t even pull the camper while it was plugged in. I reached out to Curt and they were absolute a-holes about it and wouldn’t do anything to help. The guy I spoke to acted like he invented the thing and took offense that it wasn’t working. Anyways, just be aware of that…if those things fail, which the internet shows plenty of occurrences of, it can lock up your campers brakes.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
jd-ford-hd

Rank III

Jun 18, 2022

Nice and clean! I can't wait to do mine! (Except i *will* wait ... i don't even have a VIN yet. ;))
2022 CyberOrange Badlands 2D LuxTow SansSquatch.
Pre-order 8/21/20; Sold 10/30/22.
jd-ford-hd

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Jun 18, 2022

Beautiful! I'm going to bookmark this thread so I'll have it for reference when I perform the same installation. Well-documented. Thanks, Den! ;)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA
TMars, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Jul 11, 2022

View attachment 37147View attachment 37151View attachment 37152View attachment 37153View attachment 37154View attachment 37156View attachment 37158View attachment 37159
I just installed this unit using your install location, which is superior to the console location in the instructional video. Thanks for sharing.
2022 Wildtrak 2.7 fully loaded
TMars, jd-ford-hd

Rank V

Jul 23, 2022

Hey everyone, just a little clarification for my no-knowledge self. Is this just to set the sensitivity of the trailer brakes, or do my electric brakes on my trailer not work at all without this controller? I have a small overlanding trailer (2,000lbs) and my F150 has all the bells and whistles. We added the tow-package to our Bronco, but this confused me a bit.

Thanks!
2022 Black Diamond | 4Dr | Cactus Grey | MIC | Mid | 2.3L | Auto | Tow
Reservation: 6.14.2020 | Ordered: 3.8.2022 | Delivered: 7.11.2022
http://www.instagram.com/basecamp.overland

Rank V

Jul 23, 2022

Hey everyone, just a little clarification for my no-knowledge self. Is this just to set the sensitivity of the trailer brakes, or do my electric brakes on my trailer not work at all without this controller? I have a small overlanding trailer (2,000lbs) and my F150 has all the bells and whistles. We added the tow-package to our Bronco, but this confused me a bit.

Thanks!
If your new Bronco has the "trailer tow package" installed at the factory you WILL NOT have functional electric trailer brakes of any kind until this *controller is installed. This *controller delivers the electrical current to the electromagnetic actuator of your trailer brakes, IF your trailer has the electric brake system. Some trailers, lots of them boat trailers, use hydraulic brake systems that DO NOT require this *controller. These are referred to as "surge" brakes. Some trailers may have a combination of electric/hydraulic brakes. These types of trailer braking systems WILL NOT be functional unless this *controller is installed.
(* or any after market controller approved by Ford)
Aeon365, RagnarKon

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2022

Thanks!
@jd-ford-hd is correct.

The tow package on the Bronco adds the hitch receiver and the 4/7-pin wiring for the trailer lights. That’s it.

Unlike the tow package you find on most pickups, it will not add increased towing capacity, it does not add an oil cooler, no transmission cooler, no trailer backup assist, or electric brake controller, nothing like that what you’d find on your F-150 or on most SuperDuty pickups. It’s literally just a hitch receiver and the wiring harness for the lights.
jd-ford-hd, Aeon365

Rank V

Jul 23, 2022

Well that is important information to know. Thanks everyone! I definitely have an electric brake system on my trailer, so looks like I get to add this to my upgrade list.
2022 Black Diamond | 4Dr | Cactus Grey | MIC | Mid | 2.3L | Auto | Tow
Reservation: 6.14.2020 | Ordered: 3.8.2022 | Delivered: 7.11.2022
http://www.instagram.com/basecamp.overland
jd-ford-hd

Rank 0

Mar 12, 2023

9264ECE6-AD09-4378-A179-453B6D799002.jpeg00E0EF52-9EB6-467E-A391-0162ADE74900.jpeg81546A8C-0BB1-4BE5-BD4E-9E8917A06251.jpeg64056653-B809-459E-A3FC-86833D22327C.jpeg5142F634-2468-4194-B123-3877F22B19BC.jpeg28EFDB9B-122E-457C-BCAF-9D9D9D3C6DA7.jpeg38A71293-3F62-4594-A459-3C4939642B4D.jpeg761C53A7-A685-473E-A516-87DDAB37EEDF.jpeg
Did you have the factor tow package installed? I don't. So I have wired a 7 way wiring harness. As per it's instructions looks like I need to route the blue wire from the brake controller into the wiring harness. That would mean I will have to cut the blue wire to not go into the block connector under the steering and go into the 7 way wiring harness. Am I missing something? Thanks 🙏
jd-ford-hd