Idle drop, Check engine light matching the drop

Unmechanic
Oct 12, 2021

Rank 0

Oct 12, 2021

Hey, as my user name implies I am not a mechanic,....my 1994 Bronco idles down loses power and check engine light turns on same time,....been chasing this gremlin and every time my code reader is on it doesn't happen...any help?
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 12, 2021

There should be a stored error code, if the CEL is set.

Rank 0

Oct 12, 2021

There should be a stored error code, if the CEL is set.
So, that is the problem the cel light turns off when the engine idles right back up to normal, I can't seem to catch the code with a reader as it runs perfect when I have the reader on....driving me crazy

Rank VI

Oct 12, 2021

What reader do you have?
There should be “pending” codes.

What's next?

Oct 12, 2021

I would check the O2 sensor first as an easy one. Next, if this does it only after warmed up it could be a bad catalytic convertor, which also means something else is wrong. And you might check the throttle position sensor. 2 of those are easy fixes.

It also could be a short. And those are not easy to find.
Black Diamond/4-door/mid pkg/2.7/MIC/rack/towing/Eruption Green/res 7.13.20/ord 2.8.21, then 10.15.21/built 1.21.22/delivered 4.15.22
Gunstock Off-Roadeo 10/29/22/Steel and Stirrups Traveling Lamp holder 9.23
Gaia GPS

Rank 0

Oct 12, 2021

I would check the O2 sensor first as an easy one. Next, if this does it only after warmed up it could be a bad catalytic convertor, which also means something else is wrong. And you might check the throttle position sensor. 2 of those are easy fixes.

It also could be a short. And those are not easy to find.
Appreciate the feedback, I am hoping not a short as well. Ran errands all day and nothing again....it is like a gremlin....I ran it pretty hard on some rough roads to see if it was a short thinking I could rattle it a little loose.
Ditchrunner