Iconic Badlands orange details anyone?

katie the bronco
Jun 17, 2021

Rank 0

Jun 17, 2021

20210617_145309.jpg20210617_144953.jpg
The orange tow hitch I got for my Bronco didn't match the iconic Badlands badge so I whipped up a little paint to make it match. It's all in the details. How'd I do?
Vangie, AS1LV1A
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2021

Home, home on the range

Jun 17, 2021

View attachment 14574View attachment 14575
The orange tow hitch I got for my Bronco didn't match the iconic Badlands badge so I whipped up a little paint to make it match. It's all in the details. How'd I do?
Looks good! If it's off it's not by much. Very nice!
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
colechiw09, the poacher

Life is a Highway

Jun 17, 2021

Pretty damn close. What is that a combination of? Yellow mustard, brown mustard and a dash of ketchup? :ROFLMAO:
AcesandEights, SlashRacer

Rank V

Jun 22, 2021

Great job! All in the details is right....make some awesome fingernail polish???
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Jun 27, 2021

Looks awfully close, good job.
katie the bronco, TK1215

Chief

Jun 27, 2021

You did good! Very close. It is in the details. Those little matching accents make a difference, and make your Bronco, yours.
katie the bronco, TK1215

Rank III

Aug 05, 2021

It looks good, has the paint dries it changes a bit to darker hue.

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Aug 05, 2021

Now that you have teased us all, how does the tow hitch look now that you have painted it? Show us some photos please.
Tr3B3ll247, Sdakotabronco

Rank 0

Aug 30, 2021

Now that you have teased us all, how does the tow hitch look now that you have painted it? Show us some photos please.
As requested, here are some pictures. Painted the trailer hitch and front recovery points. Adds a level of detail that isn't necessary but I adore.

Attachments

AS1LV1A, Bronco 202?

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Aug 30, 2021

As requested, here are some pictures. Painted the trailer hitch and front recovery points. Adds a level of detail that isn't necessary but I adore.
That turned out really well Katie, thank you for posting those photos. Nicely done!
katie the bronco

No Ragerts

Aug 30, 2021

Very nice indeed - I plan to add some orange vinyl graphics to my Carbonized Grey Badlands once she arrives and I will likely steal, I mean borrow, your inspiration on the front tow points. Let me know if you are interested in selling me a small jar of you custom paint mix - I would be interested.

BTW - if you use a large rubber fender washer in each side of the D-ring shackle that you installed in your tow hitch you won’t have any clanging over bumps and it will help preserve your custom paint job too!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
katie the bronco, Padams7

Rank 0

Jan 15, 2022

Very nice indeed - I plan to add some orange vinyl graphics to my Carbonized Grey Badlands once she arrives and I will likely steal, I mean borrow, your inspiration on the front tow points. Let me know if you are interested in selling me a small jar of you custom paint mix - I would be interested.

BTW - if you use a large rubber fender washer in each side of the D-ring shackle that you installed in your tow hitch you won’t have any clanging over bumps and it will help preserve your custom paint job too!
Long time to get back to you, my apologies. Thank you for the advice with the rubber washer! If you are still interested in painting your front recovery points my recipe was a mix of acrylic paints off of Amazon, using most of the gold and orange, mixing in some yellow to make the right shade, then adding a slight amount of bronze to deepen the color. The shimmery gold was the key to getting the mix to match the reflective bits of the badge. Color match in natural lighting and different intensities is you truly want the perfect match. As acrylics are essentially colored plastic resin and can peel off the metal rather easily I would highly recommend a sealant of some kind, I used a varnish I had laying around in the garage. I had to repaint after my car was put on a lift as the paint was peeled off around the bottom of the tow hitch, but it stayed intact when used in a recovery. Love to see the results if you choose to do it!
Deano Bronc

Rank III

Jan 15, 2022

Looks great! The Details are what make it Yours!

No Ragerts

Jan 15, 2022

Long time to get back to you, my apologies. Thank you for the advice with the rubber washer! If you are still interested in painting your front recovery points my recipe was a mix of acrylic paints off of Amazon, using most of the gold and orange, mixing in some yellow to make the right shade, then adding a slight amount of bronze to deepen the color. The shimmery gold was the key to getting the mix to match the reflective bits of the badge. Color match in natural lighting and different intensities is you truly want the perfect match. As acrylics are essentially colored plastic resin and can peel off the metal rather easily I would highly recommend a sealant of some kind, I used a varnish I had laying around in the garage. I had to repaint after my car was put on a lift as the paint was peeled off around the bottom of the tow hitch, but it stayed intact when used in a recovery. Love to see the results if you choose to do it!
Thanks for the reply.

After delivery on 9/27 and much tinkering, I went in a different direction and stayed with grey accents throughout including the elimination of the Badlands badges in favor of the heritage script logos, Carbonized Grey painted beauty rings, and an old skool custom matte black vinyl hockey stick that I developed and have sold to several members here.

Here is her current “look”
40489D09-A810-48FC-940E-EC2BE1E98F61.jpeg
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
SteelBronco, katie the bronco

Rank 0

Jan 15, 2022

Thanks for the reply.

After delivery on 9/27 and much tinkering, I went in a different direction and stayed with grey accents throughout including the elimination of the Badlands badges in favor of the heritage script logos, Carbonized Grey painted beauty rings, and an old skool custom matte black vinyl hockey stick that I developed and have sold to several members here.

Here is her current “look”
View attachment 26229
She looks amazing! The details make blend the modern bronco with the old school style the car was based on beautifuly, especially the heritage script logo. I am a sucker for vintage styles so I love it when mods go old school.
Deano Bronc, Bschurr

Rank 0

Jan 15, 2022

Good job...girl color receptors. LOL Looks great; I'm planning on doing the same thing.
Bschurr