I caved on the tow package

BroncoFred
Feb 02, 2022

Prisoner #19359

Feb 02, 2022

We’ll I said I wasn’t going to do it, but today I caved and removed the tow package in hopes of speeding up my Bronco assembly.

It’s been 145 days since I ordered. My dealer pulled up my order and told me no VIN yet but that there was this message from Ford:

“Informational Message
6 -M307 -INFO:TOWING (53Q) LTD AVAIL;PLS CNSDR DLR CHNL”

They told me by removing this I would get my Bronco in 2022, otherwise it would be “well into 2023”.

I figured since I don’t have anything to tow yet, I can always add an aftermarket tow package when needed.

Hope I don’t regret. I will NOT budge on the MIC top or Sasquatch. Hopefully I see this dream machine someday soon.

Attachments

2023 Bronco,Black Diamond 🏴‍☠️ Velocity Blue 🟦, 4Door, SAS, MIC, Mid, 2.7m, Orig Order: 9/10/21 Blend Date: 11/30/22. Built: 12/02, Shipped 12/4, Arrived at dealer on 12/23, Took possession on 12/30/22!!! 476 Days after ordering.
Goodyear, AZ 🌵🔆
BigSkyBronco, Buckin' A
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 02, 2022

Rank III

Feb 02, 2022

We’ll I said I wasn’t going to do it, but today I caved and removed the tow package in hopes of speeding up my Bronco assembly.

It’s been 145 days since I ordered. My dealer pulled up my order and told me no VIN yet but that there was this message from Ford:

“Informational Message
6 -M307 -INFO:TOWING (53Q) LTD AVAIL;PLS CNSDR DLR CHNL”

They told me by removing this I would get my Bronco in 2022, otherwise it would be “well into 2023”.

I figured since I don’t have anything to tow yet, I can always add an aftermarket tow package when needed.

Hope I don’t regret. I will NOT budge on the MIC top or Sasquatch. Hopefully I see this dream machine someday soon.
I called and dropped towing yesterday. I'm a day 2 reservation holder, ordered first time March 26th, second time October 13th. Badlands 4-door MIC with Mod bumper. It's been almost 19 months for me, I'm ready to get this thing.
4-dr Badlands 2.3L/manual, MIC, mod bumper.
7/14/20 res, Built 5/11/22, Shipped 5/13/22, Delivered 6/7/22
the poacher, BroncoFred

Burrito Connoisseur

Feb 02, 2022

Nice! Hopefully that was the trick to get scheduled!

---

For those who need a translation on that message...

"Towing Package (option code 53Q) limited availability, please consider dealer channel"

Dealer channel refers to the Ford Accessories that I posted about on this post.

TL;DR—
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
HeyDobby, AllthePonies

Prisoner #19359

Feb 02, 2022

---

"Towing Package (option code 53Q) limited availability, please consider dealer channel"

TL;DR—

Thanks… great information on that post!
~ Fred
2023 Bronco,Black Diamond 🏴‍☠️ Velocity Blue 🟦, 4Door, SAS, MIC, Mid, 2.7m, Orig Order: 9/10/21 Blend Date: 11/30/22. Built: 12/02, Shipped 12/4, Arrived at dealer on 12/23, Took possession on 12/30/22!!! 476 Days after ordering.
Goodyear, AZ 🌵🔆

Rank V

Feb 02, 2022

My order was from march 2021, got scheduled to build for march 2022. With tow package/sas. So they are around. But yeah, definitely get an after market receiver. They're super useful for kinetic recoveries or winch points if nothing else.
BroncoFred

Standing Grumpy Face

Feb 02, 2022

Honestly if you don't need a 7 pin connection, dropping the tow package is a no-brainer. Even if it wasn't a constraint. It's an easy upgrade to do on your own. And cheaper too.

CLASS 3 TRAILER HITCH, 2" RECEIVER
PRICE $147.08

CUSTOM WIRING HARNESS, 4-WAY FLAT OUTPUT
PRICE $105.19 USD

The one caveat is from what I have read in order to use the plug n play harness with non LED taillights it takes a little modification.
Fillups, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Feb 02, 2022

I'm still on the fence. I'm going to wait around a little longer before I make a decision.
On Order, 11/15/21: MY22 Badlands 2-dr, Carb Gray, 2.3L, 7spd, SAS, Lux Reorder, 9/23/22: MY23, dropped tow.
Sche'd Production: 11/28/22, Modules Live: 11/30/22. Delivered 12/02/22.
BroncoFred

Trusted and Carefree

Feb 02, 2022

You probably made the right call. Like @Garemlin said above, unless you need the 7pin connector, there are better options. Unfortunately for me, price of admission with the spouse is towing her camper, which needs the seven-pin connector and trailer brake controller. I could probably come up with an aftermarket solution for that, but not looking to hack up a new wiring harness. If I didnt have to pull the camper, I would have dropped the tow package over the summer
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
BuckYeah, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Feb 02, 2022

I just dont like after market trailer wiring. Usually requires bringing a power wire back to one of the tail lights from the battery and then splicing or adding an inline plug to the light sockets on both sides, mounting some kind of box, and then running more wires/mounting the actual trailer connector. Kinda nice to just have it all there, factory, and neat.

I did this on a chevy tracker, on a ford escape, and most recently on a rav4. I didn't really want to do it again, heh.
BroncoFred

Rank VI

Feb 02, 2022

I just dont like after market trailer wiring. Usually requires bringing a power wire back to one of the tail lights from the battery and then splicing or adding an inline plug to the light sockets on both sides, mounting some kind of box, and then running more wires/mounting the actual trailer connector. Kinda nice to just have it all there, factory, and neat.

I did this on a chevy tracker, on a ford escape, and most recently on a rav4. I didn't really want to do it again, heh.

Ford package is the same way if you install it after delivery. I know from experience ;)
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
the poacher

Prisoner #19359

Feb 02, 2022

I guess you have to weigh all of the consequences and decide. I’m not too worried about all of that, I’ll pay someone to do it when the time comes.
Goodyear, AZ 🌵🔆

Rank IV

Feb 02, 2022

I guess you have to weigh all of the consequences and decide. I’m not too worried about all of that, I’ll pay someone to do it when the time comes.

You won't have to wire a Bronco this way. The little box is for Asian and Japanese vehicles which wire their lights differently than American Cars. So wiring up a 4 Pin plug is very easy. You just tap into the Left Turn, Right Turn, Parking, and Brake lights.
You can very easily use a 7 Pin Plug and wire it with the 4 wires, and add a B+ wire for charging if you want. You can also add the trailer brake. What you lose here is the Towing Module. This module is the reason for the holdup on the tow package IMO. The "Chip Shortage" is the reason for the delay. This module has to be added during the factory build. I understand you cannot add it after the assembly line because of the module programming.
Fillups, BroncoFred

Rank V

Feb 02, 2022

---

TL;DR—

I almost bit on this, but I do NOT want to do the installation myself... and the quote on that install was $220. So it was easily going to be close to $600 -- with no guarantee it would remove the constraint, and with removal of the integration.
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
RagnarKon, BroncoFred

Prisoner #19359

Feb 02, 2022

I’m just getting too old to wait! I’d have to have my grandson drive me around in it if I wait any longer hahaha!
Goodyear, AZ 🌵🔆
Kathleen, SuperMike

Burrito Connoisseur

Feb 02, 2022

I almost bit on this, but I do NOT want to do the installation myself... and the quote on that install was $220. So it was easily going to be close to $600 -- with no guarantee it would remove the constraint, and with removal of the integration.
It would remove the tow package constraint, but obviously there are other constraints to worry about.

Just by looking at your signature, looks like you have the majority of the major constraints on your order, so... ultimately removing the tow package may not help much and you probably made a good move. Especially since you don't have an early reservation.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
SuperMike, BroncoFred

Rank V

Feb 02, 2022

@Jimmiee
The purpose of the box gives you a circuit isolation so that a trailer doesnt end up drawing more current on your light circuits and possibly blowing fuses on safety equipment (your lights) or messing up how your blinkers blink. The aftermarket bronco T connector has this, and its basically a transisitor package that sees the voltage on a light circuit wire and turns on a separate power feed (from your battery) to power the trailer's related circuit. I don't think it has anything to do with where the car was made or perceived quality or lack there of. Its really just a safety device.
SuperMike, BroncoFred

Rank IV

Feb 02, 2022

@Jimmiee
The purpose of the box gives you a circuit isolation so that a trailer doesnt end up drawing more current on your light circuits and possibly blowing fuses on safety equipment (your lights) or messing up how your blinkers blink. The aftermarket bronco T connector has this, and its basically a transisitor package that sees the voltage on a light circuit wire and turns on a separate power feed (from your battery) to power the trailer's related circuit. I don't think it has anything to do with where the car was made or perceived quality or lack there of. Its really just a safety device.
We're talking about 2 very different products here. I thought he was referring to a taillight converter since he had a couple of Japanese vehicles. American vehicles use a 2 wire system and Japanese vehicles use a 3 wire system. The taillight converter converts a 3 wire system into a 2 wire system so a conventional trailer light plug, 4 wire or 7 wire can be used on a Japanese or any 3 wire system vehicle. You are talking about a "T" Connector.

Rank III

Feb 02, 2022

This worked for me! About a month ago I called and took off the tow package and a couple weeks later boom! Scheduled! I got a build date for week of 2/7
washope, BroncoFred

Prisoner #19359

Feb 02, 2022

This worked for me! About a month ago I called and took off the tow package and a couple weeks later boom! Scheduled! I got a build date for week of 2/7
Man... I would crap my pants if that happened! :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Goodyear, AZ 🌵🔆
Buckin' A

Rank III

Feb 02, 2022

That's what I like to hear! Fingers crossed.
4-dr Badlands 2.3L/manual, MIC, mod bumper.
7/14/20 res, Built 5/11/22, Shipped 5/13/22, Delivered 6/7/22
BroncoFred