How to Use the Auxiliary Switches in Your Bronco

David
Mar 05, 2021

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2021

*UPDATED WITH CURRENT SPECS FROM USER MANUAL*

https://community.thebronconation.com/how-to-use-the-auxiliary-switches-on-your-bronco/
One of the things that Ford loves to talk about when discussing the Bronco is modularity. To Ford, customization with minimal effort is one of the central reasons to buy their new open air 4×4. Our new How-to video, debuting tonight, will cover how to customize your Bronco by using your pre-run wiring and auxiliary switches to accessories.

What are the auxiliary switches for?
The auxiliary switches, AUX1 through AUX6, make aftermarket customization easier. Six prewired switches connected to the power distribution box of your Bronco allow you to control light bars, pod lights, or an in-Bronco refrigerator. The new Bronco has pre-run wiring in those hard-to-reach places that reduces the amount of tear down required when installing accessories. All you have to do is connect the right circuits together. Furthermore, the places that you’re connecting wires are in easy to reach locations. Newer vehicles, including Bronco, make it difficult to tie into the wiring harness but this feature allows DIY builders to customize their Broncos without warning lights and error codes flashing at them for their efforts.
Where are the auxiliary switches?
Auxiliary switches are standard on Wildtrak, First Edition, Badlands, and Black Diamond Broncos and an option on Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks. If your Bronco is equipped with them, they’ll be located above the rear-view mirror.
How do I use the aux switches in my Bronco?
Well, once they’re wired up, you just flip the switch in order to power the accessory that you’ve assigned to that switch. When engaged, the switches will illuminate. The power will be coming from the battery so it’s best to have the engine running when using accessories so that you don’t come back to a dead battery.
How do I wire up the aux switches to an accessory?
Step 1: Get Your Tools
While some Bronco customizations are easy even for novices, wiring up the Aux switches is a step or two above those in difficulty. You’ll need a few things.
Tools you’ll need:
  • Crimper
  • Heat Gun
  • Wire shrink wire connectors
  • Drill and appropriate drill bit. (if using the windshield circuit)
Step 2: Identify the aux switch you want to use.
Now you need to identify which switch you want to use. Check your accessory’s documentation to ensure that you’re connecting it to a switch that is appropriate for the accessory’s needs. Refer to the chart below more information. Pay attention to the amp draw for the switch that you’re selecting. Those ratings are your power budget and if you put an accessory that draws 5A on a switch that is rated for 25A then you’ve just wasted 20A. For example, this Rigid Pod light draws 2A and is a good fit for switches AUX 4-6 but you’d be wasting your budget if you put it on AUX 1-3.

Step 3: Identify the circuit that runs to where you’re installing your accessory.

There are five circuits that run to key places on the Bronco that are likely to have accessories mounted. These are where you can easily mount accessories often with Bronco bolts available for mounting. Identify the circuit that is running to the install desired location on your Bronco.
Here are the locations:
  • 1X to the front grille
  • 2X to the passenger compartment behind the glove box
  • 1X to the passenger windshield above the passenger visor
  • 1X to the passenger rear quarter panel

Step 4: Get the power to where you need it.
At a basic level, wiring is about moving power to where you need it. You’re connecting a stream of electricity to your accessory. You’ll need to identify the right wires that will create that stream. Our video guide will show an example of how this works.
Once you have those wires connected, you can then wire up your accessory and power will flow to where you need it when the appropriate aux switch is engaged. Turn on your Bronco and flip the switch. Check to make sure that your accessory is working as intended.
What are you going to connect to your auxiliary switches? Let us know in our forum poll.

Bronco Aux Switch Ratings.JPG

PREVIOUS Bronco Badging with BadXBronco and Utah.Bronco
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
KenM, Crawler Green

Libations MOD

Mar 05, 2021

Awesome, thanks!!
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Mar 05, 2021

Tonight at 7PM Eastern we'll be publishing our video on how to use the AUX switches on your Bronco. We'll be updating this post with the video link and the link to the latest news article where we walk you through it once the video is live. See you there!

You just push them right ? That should be common knowledge ;)
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Bronco 6, Commodore

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2021

You just push them right ? That should be common knowledge ;)
I literally wrote that in the article and then thought better of it and tried to be more helpful. :ROFLMAO:
Bronco 202?, Commodore

Member 2541 Jerry

Mar 05, 2021

Hopefully cover some of the pre run wiring loops.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
Commodore, NVSUR

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2021

Hopefully cover some of the pre run wiring loops.
We do, we'll let you be the judge as to whether we do so in a satisfactory way. (y)
Commodore, NVSUR

Rank V

Mar 05, 2021

I literally wrote that in the article and then thought better of it and tried to be more helpful. :ROFLMAO:
oooh someone like pushing buttons

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLjy7cySmu8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAO
Two Door - Badlands - Eruption Green - Sasquatch- Lux
Commodore, NVSUR

No Ragerts

Mar 05, 2021

@David Will there be customizable text and/or graphics to replace the Aux1, Aux2 etc?
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Commodore, NVSUR

Libations MOD

Mar 05, 2021

@David Will there be customizable text and/or graphics to replace the Aux1, Aux2 etc?
there is a post I believe on here that someone has designed stickers for them
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Commodore, KennyMac

Rank V

Mar 05, 2021

Tonight at 7PM Eastern we'll be publishing our video on how to use the AUX switches on your Bronco. We'll be updating this post with the video link and the link to the latest news article where we walk you through it once the video is live. See you there!
My wife will be home any minute and we're going out to dinner. Hurry up or we'll get caught!
Watching Bronco videos at the dinner table, much less in the restaurant, is a no-no.
Thanks for putting me in the dog house tonight, @David ...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Commodore, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2021

The countdown is on. Did not see anything on YouTube, IGTV, or TikTok. Interesting!
Commodore

Rank VI

Mar 06, 2021

Updated.
Commodore, Slownstddy

Libations MOD

Mar 06, 2021

Updated.
Great info, thanks!
Commodore

Rank VI

Mar 06, 2021

OMG! This is way more than I thought Ford would give us. The concept of having prewired circuits is amazing! This exceeds my expectations!

By the way, that shadow black Bronco looks amazing!
Commodore, Ian Lacasse

Rank V

Mar 06, 2021

That was amazing. Thanks guys!!
first thoughts are that I am glad they did not put the butt connectors on for us. personally I hate them and will be opting for a connector instead. Connectors make things easy for if I ever change my mind. I hate re-splicing wires. Wish I did not have to drill a hole, that part is frustrating to me.

Commodore, NVSUR

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Mar 06, 2021

Fantastic! This thread gets a bookmark!
Commodore, bdawson24

Rank VI

Mar 06, 2021

Here's to @David You did good!
Cheers!

Bronco beer.jpg
Commodore, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Mar 06, 2021

Here's to @David You did good!
Cheers!

View attachment 9763
All credit goes to the team and to y'all for supporting the community!
Commodore, 14U

Rank II

Mar 06, 2021

Thanks!
Commodore

Rank VI

Mar 06, 2021

What’s everyone think of that 4-Door BaseSquatch?
Commodore, bdawson24