How Much Water?

SlashRacer
May 06, 2021

Road trip!!!

May 06, 2021

I will admit, I have never done rustic camping. Any camping I have done has always been at a campground.

"When" the bronco arrives we are planning on doing weekend trips and will not be staying in campgrounds. What I don't know is how much water to bring with us.

How much water do you bring with you for a weekend? We plan on cooking for most, if not all the meals.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Commodore, TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: May 06, 2021

Rank VI

May 06, 2021

You will need a couple of gallons, per day, per person...just for normal consumption. If you go someplace hot and/or dry, or you plan big long a** hikes, double that up. When I go for a weekend, I usually use 20-25 gallons (drinking, washing, making food/drinks, and some to make sure I have left over 'just in case'). If you are roughing it for a weekend, you can forego the 'washing' water, but you will still need the 'surviving' and cooking water, without question.
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Rank V

May 06, 2021

If there is a stream or other body of water nearby, bring a water bottle or bag and this water filter is all you need. This one fits in a backpack and pumps fresh water pretty quickly.

Katadyn_Vario__46765.1416865681.jpeg
Slownstddy, TK1215

Rank VI

May 06, 2021

If there is a stream or other body of water nearby, bring a water bottle or bag and this water filter is all you need. This one fits in a backpack and pumps fresh water pretty quickly.

View attachment 12798
Great solution! (Unfortunately, my trips are usually to the middle of nowhere near Moab, no water sources).
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Rank V

May 06, 2021

Great solution! (Unfortunately, my trips are usually to the middle of nowhere near Moab, no water sources).

I hear ya. I was just gonna edit my post and say that if one is not used to 'rustic' camping, I wouldn't' start off camping away from water sources. Get some trips under the belt first.
TK1215, SlashRacer

Life is a Highway

May 06, 2021

View attachment 12798
Excellent choice
SlashRacer

Road trip!!!

May 06, 2021

I hear ya. I was just gonna edit my post and say that if one is not used to 'rustic' camping, I wouldn't' start off camping away from water sources. Get some trips under the belt first.
We have lots of lakes/rivers/streams in Michigan.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
TK1215, Level3Looper

Rank VI

May 06, 2021

An idea. Camp in a campground a few times, relying solely on what you bring. It'll take you one or two trips to hammer out 90% of what you'll need. No need to figure it out too far from home. You can even do it in your driveway. Just camp for a weekend, without hookups or using the potable water sources and you'll figure out pretty quick if you brought enough of what you need. If you have to walk over to the spigot, or run back into the house, keep a list of what you forgot. You can even measure the water you take from the spigot if you use one gallon jugs.

A "basic" rule of thumb is that a person needs one gallon a day, for consumption/cooking and washing. Camping can waste a lot of water if you're used to doing things at home where the tap just runs. You'll need to put a couple inches of water in a bucket and use it to wash either dishes or yourself. A "spit" bath doesn't take much, but it's not like standing under a running shower head. Washing dishes takes a bit of water, but if you've done a wash/rinse method in the past, with maybe two wash basins, you'll use less.

2.5 gallons works for me, for a weekend; however, I drink a lot of water. If you drink soda or beer, you'll need less water. If you cook freeze-dried meals, you'll need more. You can get down to a gallon a day, but it's less fun than having 1.5 gallons a day, or worrying about running out. Another thing that may work well is an Igloo 2, 3, or 5 gallon cooler:
https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/water-jugs/products/retro-barrel-of-fun
Using a water filter like listed above (I like MSR), is a pain in the *ss if you're "camping". They work great for backpacking because they are light-weight and easy to carry, but they take a long time to pump a quart, let alone a gallon of water.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronclahoma, TK1215

Home, home on the range

May 06, 2021

We used to use iodine or water purification tablets. You have to wait a bit to use the water but lighter to carry and less bulky than the pump.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
TK1215, SlashRacer

Life is a Highway

May 28, 2021

Not sure if I have seen this in anyone’s load out offerings but this is a definite must for anyone going off the grid
$50 at Costco

Attachments

SlashRacer, Slownstddy

Rank VI

May 28, 2021

You sir on the the verge of graduating from car camping to back packing.

There is a huge difference between the two .. and 85% of that is based on weight. Not too many car campers would pay twice the price for a camp stove that weights a few ounces less than a coleman brand... but back packers live for that kind of stuff. If you are monitoring ounces .. than carrying in water at 8lbs a gallon is a deal breaker. You must have water sources .. so back packing in death valley is extremly challenging.

I hear you on the moab camping. I back packed into cayonlands for two weeks and it was epic.

I got into back packing for one reason .... I got sick of going to campsites and being surrounded by Glamping yuppies. For me nature is a means to challenge yourself. You have to respect nature ( because it will always win), but you can learn ways to survive in the deep woods without anyone else. We are all explorers at heart ... some of us just want to bring a 46" flat screen along. As mentioned earlier I spent two weeks in canyonlands and my only company for that time was a huge ass black bear. I didn't see another living soul for the entire trip .. and that made me extremely happy. I'm not sure you can find anything like that car camping. If you can drive there (even in 4wheel drive) you are probably going to have company at some point.
SlashRacer, Slownstddy

Rank V

May 28, 2021

Older thread, but I hope you came up with your choice. I've done it all when it comes to camping. From Boy Scouts, to mule packing (had 3 mules at one time) into the wilderness, to traveling down Mexico on a motorcycle. In the desert in Summer you'll need a lot more than Fall/Spring/Winter, of course. One technique is to start by taking "too much" on a few trips. Then over time you may realize it's not getting all used, and get a smaller container. I used to take a white plastic jug that was originally for milk or something, about 15 gallons. That worked for a small family for 2-3 nights. I'd also get a water filter, and keep that in the rear storage for emergencies. If your jug springs a leak, or you break down, it's nice to know you won't get Giardia from drinking out of a spring.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

May 31, 2021

Washing cooking gear uses a lot of water. Boy scout trick, “clean” cooking gear with dirt then rinse the dirt off with water. And sanitze in hot water.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc