How Many Ham Radio Operators are in the Nation? Sound Off...

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Callsign: November Whiskey Nine Foxtrot

I am looking at moving my Yaesu FTM-400 over to the Bronco. I am sure I can find some place suitable on the dash to mount the head unit, but I am not sure where I am going to install the radio or place the antenna. I might install a GMRS radio too. There is not much of a GMRS community where I live, but I am sure it would be useful on the trail.

Does anyone know if Ford has incorporated some direct DC power runs to the battery on the Bronco? That would be a nice feature instead of trying to fish power cable through the firewall without compromising any watertight seals. My radio is rated at 11 amps when transmitting at 50 watts and I am sure that would be similar for for a GMRS mobile at max power. Most accessory (cigarette lighter) plugs are protected with a 20 amp fuse, but the accessory wiring is typically small gauged and can melt.

Reactions: TK1215 and Crowza

Crowza

Rank III

Advocate II

Sep 13, 2020
Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Crouser
Member #

I'm planning to add my Icom ID-5100A to my Black Diamond. I'm wondering what specialized antenna mounts will be available? On the concept Bronco, they created an antenna mount for the CB on the front right riser. I'm interested on how I'm going to mount my antenna and my radio...

73, Kilo Delta 8 Zulu Golf November

The Bronze

Rank V

Promoter III

May 20, 2020
Colorado, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Already have the Yeasu 400 sitting on the bench for the new Bronco and will also install an AnyTone for the DMR side. K0ZUK

Reactions: TK1215

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm planning to add my Icom ID-5100A to my Black Diamond. I'm wondering what specialized antenna mounts will be available? On the concept Bronco, they created an antenna mount for the CB on the front right riser. I'm interested on how I'm going to mount my antenna and my radio...

73, Kilo Delta 8 Zulu Golf November
The ID-5100 has a similar foot print as the FTM-400. In my past 2 SUVs, I have mounted my my radio to the floor under the drivers seat with a remote speaker and a extension for the mic.

Crowza

Rank III

Advocate II

Sep 13, 2020
Charleston, WV, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Crouser
Member #

The ID-5100 has a similar foot print as the FTM-400. In my past 2 SUVs, I have mounted my my radio to the floor under the drivers seat with a remote speaker and a extension for the mic.
I think that would make for a clean install. Since the ID-5100's speaker is located on the base, I think you are right - I would need a remote speaker. I could build a cable extension for the mic. @OtherTimDavis do you have any ideas for antenna mounting? A lip mount would normally make sense, but with the Bronco being so modular, I'm hoping there are some really great options. How many antennas are you currently planning for?

Reactions: TK1215

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think that would make for a clean install. Since the ID-5100's speaker is located on the base, I think you are right - I would need a remote speaker. I could build a cable extension for the mic. @OtherTimDavis do you have any ideas for antenna mounting? A lip mount would normally make sense, but with the Bronco being so modular, I'm hoping there are some really great options. How many antennas are you currently planning for?
Your right, with the Bronco being so modular, it might be a wait and see event. I was hoping to get a NMO lip mount on the front hood as far out from the windshield as possible. I think the hood should make a good ground plane. I might also install a GMRS mobile and place a similar antenna setup on the other side of the hood.

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I've always wanted to get my operator license I think this would be fun to have.
I would encourage you to look in to it. It is a fun hobby that has a lot of areas to get involved in. I would look up on the ARRL's website (http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club) for a local club that you could visit. This is were you can find a local mentor (They are referred to as Elmers) to help you get started. There is a lot of good resources to help you study for the Technician exam, which is 35 questions. A good free website to study for the exam is Ham Study (https://hamstudy.org/). There are plenty of good YouTube channels to learn from. I recommend Ham Radio Crash Course (https://www.youtube.com/c/HamRadioCrashCourse). Josh has a good catalog of videos to learn from. I also have some ham related videos on my YouTube channel, I am not as polished on my presentation, but you are free to check them out. The link to my YouTube channel is in my signature below.

meshyf

Rank II

Super Supporter II

Jan 14, 2021
CA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Yost
I would encourage you to look in to it. It is a fun hobby that has a lot of areas to get involved in. I would look up on the ARRL's website (http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club) for a local club that you could visit. This is were you can find a local mentor (They are referred to as Elmers) to help you get started. There is a lot of good resources to help you study for the Technician exam, which is 35 questions. A good free website to study for the exam is Ham Study (https://hamstudy.org/). There are plenty of good YouTube channels to learn from. I recommend Ham Radio Crash Course (https://www.youtube.com/c/HamRadioCrashCourse). Josh has a good catalog of videos to learn from. I also have some ham related videos on my YouTube channel, I am not as polished on my presentation, but you are free to check them out. The link to my YouTube channel is in my signature below.

My local clubs are all closed due to covid. I can't get an entry level test until this is all over I guess.

Reactions: TK1215 and Thane

OtherTimDavis

Rank IV

Advocate III

Feb 22, 2021
Martinsville, IN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My local clubs are all closed due to covid. I can't get an entry level test until this is all over I guess.
Let’s get that frown turned upside down. :) There’s in fact a few testing groups that can test online with.You can find a list HERE. I know people who have tested with the first two groups.

Thane

Rank III

Promoter III

Aug 26, 2020
Dana Point, CA, USA
First Name
Thane
Last Name
Thayer
I don't know your level radio/electronics knowledge but all the test questions are public and available in practice tests at https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/.
I read a bit, then started taking practice tests studying correct responses. Soon I was passing and eventually scored 100% on exam for license.

Save your time, study the test.

KJ6FJC

N0PRO

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Mar 11, 2021
Pasadena, CA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Galante
Member #

Hi Gang!!! N0PRO here. I just joined the Nation. Yesterday I converted my Outer Banks reservation into an order.

I am also having a lot of questions about mounting equipment. I have an FTM-400 which I like but I have an Anytone AT-D578UV mounted in my current vehicle that I would like to use in the Bronco. In addition to the wiring question I want to hear more about the railing system on the dash. That could be a great mounting location. Unfortunately I read that it is not a RAM style mount, rather a rail used on weapons. It may be cool looking but a quick search online did not find any mounts that could be used for radios. I hope I'm wrong. Well, since I'm rather certain I will be getting a 2022 I should have plenty of time to research it. Hopefully all of you fellow hams who will be getting yours first will be able to give me advice.

Chris

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

Hi Gang!!! N0PRO here. I just joined the Nation. Yesterday I converted my Outer Banks reservation into an order.

I am also having a lot of questions about mounting equipment. I have an FTM-400 which I like but I have an Anytone AT-D578UV mounted in my current vehicle that I would like to use in the Bronco. In addition to the wiring question I want to hear more about the railing system on the dash. That could be a great mounting location. Unfortunately I read that it is not a RAM style mount, rather a rail used on weapons.
Welcome, so on the picatinny rail there is a lot of options you can use to mount it as its very common in other parts. BUT, no one is really sure if that is standard equipment now on certain trims or it's been moved to an accessory. That's the biggest question right now. I know there was a post on a radio thread a few weeks ago that you can attach a bracket tot he rail system.

N0PRO

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Mar 11, 2021
Pasadena, CA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Galante
Member #

Well, I understand a LOT of companies are going to be making accessories. I'm guessing if the picatinny rail doesn't work out someone will make a different one. I'm guessing I've got close to a year to see what happens. Until then I'm just waiting.

N0PRO

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Mar 11, 2021
Pasadena, CA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Galante
Member #

If we keep talking maybe an admin can make a communications forum. I know I have a lot of questions and also can bring a lot of ideas to the table. I have an extensive background in emcomm as I'm sure many of you do too. These forums are where we get our "great ideas." Keeping this topic under "general" might muddy the waters as it were., Just a thought.