Hood glare

ssn679doc
Apr 20, 2022

Rank 0

Apr 20, 2022

Anyone have a suggestion for dealing with glare from the hood in late afternoon? I have a 2021 Big Bend that is red, and the afternoon sun can get pretty intense, particularly during the summer.
I have considered getting a section of the hood painted matte black or even a matte clear coat.
Thoughts? Alternatives?
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2022

Rank V

Apr 20, 2022

Damn I ordered a Race Rad one!

Rank V

Apr 20, 2022

Just wrap the hood in matte black. Not that expensive to do and will eliminate the glare problem. If you ever get tired of it, just pull it off.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
ssn679doc

Rank V

Apr 20, 2022

Anyone have a suggestion for dealing with glare from the hood in late afternoon? I have a 2021 Big Bend that is red, and the afternoon sun can get pretty intense, particularly during the summer.
I have considered getting a section of the hood painted matte black or even a matte clear coat.
Thoughts? Alternatives?
I think you can get a vinyl sticker?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sti...E&biw=1326&bih=627&dpr=1#imgrc=yJerFOd6Oxa-7M

Rank IV

Apr 20, 2022

Dark sun glasses, like some Maui Jim.
2022 Bronco Wildtrak 4D, 2.7, HPR . Mod, Full Bash,
Lux, Mic, Leather, Hoss 3.0. Res 7/20, Order 3/21, Reorder 10/21.
NiceBronco, Jakob1972

Rank 0

Apr 20, 2022

Dark sun glasses, like some Maui Jim.
I could just drive at night…. Lol
Jakob1972, Michael Ashmore

Rank 0

Apr 20, 2022

Just wrap the hood in matte black. Not that expensive to do and will eliminate the glare problem. If you ever get tired of it, just pull it off.
Thanks for that tip… hadn’t thought of a wrap..

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

Thoughts? Alternatives?
Get bigger sunglasses!lol

Rank V

Apr 21, 2022

Anyone have a suggestion for dealing with glare from the hood in late afternoon?
Wear polarized glasses.

The sunglasses comments before are actually half right, but you need polarization to make the glare disappear, not just darken. If you want to get technical, light from the sun has waves that travel radially in all directions and all polarizations. When light reflects off a surface, the light that reaches your eyes is polarized in the direction of the surface doing the reflection (so mostly horizontal, because thats how the hood is). Quality sunglasses have vertical polarization, so they only allow light through that is (mostly) vertically polarized, thus blocking the reflected light. Fun experiment, you can take two pairs of polarized glasses and hold the lenses roughly 90° coincident and you wont be able to see through both lenses! The physics gets even weirder!, if you have a 3rd pair of glasses at a different angle in between the two at 90° you'll be able to see through again!

Think of it like looking at light through fence slats, but at a microscopic level.
Bronco Hueso, ssn679doc

Rank V

Apr 21, 2022

Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
CliffB, ssn679doc

Rank II

Apr 23, 2022

Thoughts? Alternatives?
Move to Indiana sun rarely shines
SuperMike, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Sep 03, 2022

I installed this. Very inexpensive and looks great. Hood decal
CliffB, NT AUTOMOTIVE

Rank V

Sep 29, 2022

I installed this. Very inexpensive and looks great. Hood decal
We did a similar decal, problem solved and looks great.
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT: Factory dark jade and wimbleton special tutone, 32,000 original miles, sport steering wheel, CB, lighted vanity, AC, etc.
2021 Bronco Badlands carbonized gray, 4Dr, 2.7, lux, leather, Trektop, Rock Slide Engineering steps & tailgate table.
Bronco Hueso, Brewster Da Bronco